Why become a member? ×

Old Barefaced News - see our website for the latest news!

alexclaber

• 2 weeks later...

On another subject altogether, I have just designed a hi-fi speaker from scratch! :)

It features a coaxial 7" midbass/tweeter (3kHz crossover point) in a sealed cab, Q=0.707, with an 8" woofer (200Hz crossover) in a large ported cab tuned to 30Hz. Response +/- 1.5dB from 40-6000Hz, +/-3dB from 30-20000Hz, and can manage 100dB output from 30Hz upwards.

The reason behind the unusual design is to get the big clean bass output of a large floorstander without the need for a separate subwoofer but the coherent nearfield response of a coax design and in the process get very low distortion midrange and treble by minimising excursion of the midbass speaker (which also acts a waveguide for the tweeter). It's also designed for near-wall placement so large non-rectangular baffle and no baffle-step correction.

The crossover is hellishly complicated - six inductors, eight capacitors and six resistors per speaker (and that's assuming I can get correct values and won't have to use multiple components for certain values). Fortunately the impedance curves look ok to drive - phase doesn't get too weird and magnitude stays above 4 ohms.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='263583' date='Aug 16 2008, 01:21 PM']Great to see you are doing well with the cabs bud, looks like you might be busy.[/quote]

They do take a while to build! I have four of The Compacts in various stages of progress and the first of The Big Ones on its way. However I am getting more efficient so hopefully I'll be able to make a few a month. I'll be bringing one of each model to the SE Bass Bash.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='334319' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:44 AM']Just had a look at your website Alex; brilliant work! So when are you moving into amp design & manufacture then? :huh:[/quote]

2010 :huh:

This is all rather snowballing but I guess that isn't such a bad thing! Just finished The Big One #1. I like this cab very very much, looking forward to getting it up to war volume in the band. I think it's big enough to justify some wheels so some mods to come for that but otherwise it's sorted! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='334557' date='Nov 22 2008, 06:51 PM']

I'm pretty confident it's come in at the target weight of 45lbs - it's a little heavier than my rack which contains a PLX 3002 (21lbs), Avalon U5 (7lbs plus rack ears) and is a Gator 4U shallow (~10lbs).

Alex[/quote]
Looks great Alex! Congratulations - you must be really pleased with it... :)

When can those of us who are relatively local to you get a chance to hear it??

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='335159' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:24 PM']When can those of us who are relatively local to you get a chance to hear it??[/quote]

Well I'm not gigging at the moment, band having a hiatus because I'm so busy with the cabs. Who wants to borrow it and give a real workout?

Alex

It could do with a badge of some sort, or some little bit of colour on it somewhere - just to give it a little visual impact other than black box with grille and to mark it out as not "just" a really nicely done homemade job.

[quote name='Merton' post='336281' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:49 PM']Hey Alex, bring it up to Redhill next weekend and I'll give it a run thru at my next wedding gig.... I may forget to give it back though :)[/quote]

I do have a meeting in your neck of the woods next week! Seriously, if you want me to drop it off with you at work/home I think that could be arranged. I'd like as many people to try this cab as possible - be good to get the feedback and also help me make my final handle/wheels decisions.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='336467' date='Nov 25 2008, 05:26 PM']....I'd like as many people to try this cab as possible - be good to get the feedback and also help me make my final handle/wheels decisions....[/quote]
Feedback suggestions:
1. Don't skimp on the hardware.
2. Provide good covers.
3. Use good wheels, swivel castors, the 2 at the front with brakes and preferably 3".
4. Don't go for this one handed lift cr@p! 45 lbs is NOT a one handed lift for a lot of people. Even with good wheels we still need to lift the cab for stairs, loading the van, door steps etc. Two handles please.

Hi Alex

After Merton has blown it to bits, can I try the shrapnel? I had to leave the SE Bass Bash before I had chance to abuse it. I've just bought a BFM Omni15 Tallboy from David Perry and am interested to do an A/B.

After I'm done I can deliver it to the next abuser within spitting distance of me........ I can spit 10 miles or so from M.25 Junction 11. (Mug of tea on delivery please)

Cheers