Why become a member? ×

Multifx question

FJ1200

I'm looking at getting a multi-fx pedal and am experincing great anguish over which one to go for. My budget is limited to around 100 quid, so I'm looking at the Zoom B2.1u and the Korg AXB5 - that sort of thing. I like the Zoom because it has the USB output (I'd use that a LOT!) and balanced line out (I'd use that a fair bit!), good mix of fx and amp/cab modelling on it, huge versatility etc and it's got reasonable reviews. The Korg - similar fx, similar amp modelling, similar reviews, very limited on outputs - but it's a Korg! And its cheaper. Prefer the cosmetics of the Zoom to the Korg but is it harder-wearing? I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Looked through the forum at previous posts, and I'm still undecided. I'm hoping to go into a shop on Saturday to try them out but wanted to know what they are like in the wild - what are they like to live with? The Zoom has a reputation for being hard to program and not the most inuitive till you get used to it but then it's great. Heard the Korg had a more natural sound.

BTW - also considered the individual pedals route - but on balance I think I'd rather go multifx for now and buy what I need to fill the gaps later. Can't really afford a Boss unit although would love to have one - I have a Boss compressor I| bought in 1987. I want the best and most versatile unit that I can get for the money. I'm not a big fx user really but there's some things I do want to try out particularly with the amp/cab modelling.

Any comments/advice/experience/thoughts welcome.

I can't recommend the Boss ME-50 enough and I have seen a few on here for £100 - can't seem to find many of them now though, having done a search... here's one though:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11874&hl=boss+me"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=boss+me[/url]
Multi-effects are great because they'll save you money, take up less space and open your mind like a whole new instrument!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='138799' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:44 PM']I can't recommend the Boss ME-50 enough and I have seen a few on here for £100 - can't seem to find many of them now though, having done a search... here's one though:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11874&hl=boss+me"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=boss+me[/url]
Multi-effects are great because they'll save you money, take up less space and open your mind like a whole new instrument![/quote]

I'll let my ME50B go for £100 + postage. Just about done replacing all the stuff I use with singles.

I heard that the ME50 has a pause when you switch patches. It's ok on standard "stomp box mode" but when you use it in "patch mode" (which is where multi-fx come into their own) there is a gap, or a very short mute, before the next patch kicks in. This would really annoy me. The Zoom has the fastest patch switching around, apparently.

I own a ME50B. I used to own a Line 6 and much prefer the BOSS.

+ Points
Plus in and go - default mode is manual, so no playing around with patches
It's lovely and compact
The compressor/limiter is great
The chorus is good and chorus + delay and +reverb effects are very good
Battery powered
Very, very good tuner
Built like a brick sh*thouse

The Phaser and Flanger in manual mode are too loud and distort
The synths aren't very musical
The distortions sound odd and very weedy
The way the effects are distributed is a little odd
For example - distortion + synth is an obvious pairing, but it can't be done, because both kinds of effects are controlled by the one pedal/control knobs
Delay/Phaser + reverb or delay is another obvious pairing, but can't be done for the same reason.

As with all multi FX, there are trade-offs, but where the Boss does win is the decent tuner, compressor and modulation effects

[quote name='cheddatom' post='138860' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:06 PM']I heard that the ME50 has a pause when you switch patches. It's ok on standard "stomp box mode" but when you use it in "patch mode" (which is where multi-fx come into their own) there is a gap, or a very short mute, before the next patch kicks in. This would really annoy me. The Zoom has the fastest patch switching around, apparently.[/quote]

Well, I just checked and there is indeed a tiny little pause but I've never noticed it before and I actually switch between stomp box mode and patch mode quite often! So I guess that demonstrates that the pause is pretty much insignificant...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='138893' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:44 PM']I own a ME50B. I used to own a Line 6 and much prefer the BOSS.

+ Points
Plus in and go - default mode is manual, so no playing around with patches
It's lovely and compact
The compressor/limiter is great
The chorus is good and chorus + delay and +reverb effects are very good
Battery powered
Very, very good tuner
Built like a brick sh*thouse

The Phaser and Flanger in manual mode are too loud and distort
The synths aren't very musical
The distortions sound odd and very weedy
The way the effects are distributed is a little odd
For example - distortion + synth is an obvious pairing, but it can't be done, because both kinds of effects are controlled by the one pedal/control knobs
Delay/Phaser + reverb or delay is another obvious pairing, but can't be done for the same reason.

As with all multi FX, there are trade-offs, but where the Boss does win is the decent tuner, compressor and modulation effects[/quote]

+1 on pretty much all of that - I use the distortion together with my ODB3 and together they sound awesome; to get some of the stuff to sound great it helps to twiddle a lot but that's a good thing, I suppose - you can get a lot of different sounds out of it... as for using 2 effects together, I guess that's where you have to start buying individual pedals to supplement your multi-effects! Buy the ones you like the best as individual units and use the ME for everything else

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='138912' date='Feb 12 2008, 03:19 PM']Well, I just checked and there is indeed a tiny little pause but I've never noticed it before and I actually switch between stomp box mode and patch mode quite often! So I guess that demonstrates that the pause is pretty much insignificant...

+1 on pretty much all of that - I use the distortion together with my ODB3 and together they sound awesome; to get some of the stuff to sound great it helps to twiddle a lot but that's a good thing, I suppose - you can get a lot of different sounds out of it... as for using 2 effects together, I guess that's where you have to start buying individual pedals to supplement your multi-effects! Buy the ones you like the best as individual units and use the ME for everything else[/quote]

Funnily enough, I'm probably going to do just that. I got my Boss ME50B along with a Boss loopstation, so I'm going through something of an epiphany in terms of Boss Effects pedals.

Thanks for all the comments/offers. Still not sure, but for my needs leaning more towards the B2.1U mainly because of the output versatility and amp/cab modelling. I'm hoping to have a play with some of them over the weekend and will have a better idea then. Looking at some of the comments around the Boss pedals lead me to think they may be worth a look later but not for right now. I have a CS-2 that looks like it's been in a war zone but I use it all the time. Bought it new 1983-ish. Has the Level knob missing and the paint is chipped to pieces but I doubt I'd sell it.

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='FJ1200' post='139336' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:29 AM']Thanks for all the comments/offers. Still not sure, but for my needs leaning more towards the B2.1U mainly because of the output versatility and amp/cab modelling. I'm hoping to have a play with some of them over the weekend and will have a better idea then. Looking at some of the comments around the Boss pedals lead me to think they may be worth a look later but not for right now. I have a CS-2 that looks like it's been in a war zone but I use it all the time. Bought it new 1983-ish. Has the Level knob missing and the paint is chipped to pieces but I doubt I'd sell it.[/quote]

Right then - things have changed a bit. My bonus that I wasn't expecting has come in so I can raise my sights a bit. Line6 Bass Pod? Korg AXB3000? Boss? Going into town to have a play this morning and an eye test. What's the most versatile? Still may get a B2.1u and something else thought. Haven't decided yet.

[quote name='FJ1200' post='141490' date='Feb 16 2008, 08:48 AM']Right then - things have changed a bit. My bonus that I wasn't expecting has come in so I can raise my sights a bit. Line6 Bass Pod? Korg AXB3000? Boss? Going into town to have a play this morning and an eye test. What's the most versatile? Still may get a B2.1u and something else thought. Haven't decided yet.[/quote]

Mate - I have a AX3000B that I can let you have a play with for a few days if you like? I'm not selling it but at the moment I'm not using it either. Can drop it off to you today or tomorrow if you fancy it. Send me a PM and let me know.

Cheers

Steve

[quote name='Muppet' post='141530' date='Feb 16 2008, 11:17 AM']Mate - I have a AX3000B that I can let you have a play with for a few days if you like? I'm not selling it but at the moment I'm not using it either. Can drop it off to you today or tomorrow if you fancy it. Send me a PM and let me know.

Cheers

Steve[/quote]
PM Sent.

Steve - Thanks for the Korg loan. Very easy to use - worked out the basics without a glance at the manual. Lots of fun with the synth and ring mod, but I really love the octave divider. Some of the preset patches are good too. For me the only 2 downers are the lack of a USB - I don't have a midi interface unit for my computer and have never used MIDI so that's a new area to explore - and lack of a balanced line out so I'd have to use a DI if patching direct into a desk. Otherwise it's great. Like the amp/cab modeling as well.

Still not sure what to get though. Much prefer this one to the Boss but the jury is still out on the others. Also from a practicing point of view I like the drum machine in the Zoom.

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='143104' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:13 PM']Yeah! The AX3000B is fantastic! A prime choice if i do say so myself :). It is frustrating is some ways not have a DI out, but i love the pedal anyway so im not bothered![/quote]
I'm quite tempted by one, especially as there's a few places doing them for £125 at the moment (just google for it). But I have other priorities and not quite enough money for everything...

Edited by tauzero

Like the AX3000 but finally decided to opt for a long-term top-end unit and have ordered a Line6 Bass POD XT Live! :) Should arrive in the morning.

Feel like a 6 year-old again - can't wait until tomorrow now!! Be even worse when I get it home!

right then - nearly 1am. New toy has been switched off and I'm going to bed. The XT Live is great. See what you all mean by naff defaults although one or two are ok. Synth stuff I'd probably never use apart from sound fx in a play or something. The downloads on the Line6 web site are very heavily repeated though. Don't know if people have problems uploading but the same patches appear up to 10 times or more. Anyway - long day of playing tomorrow so beddy-byes time.

• 12 years later...
On 19/02/2008 at 17:28, tauzero said:

AX3000B ... is frustrating is some ways not have a DI out

Well, it has balanced outputs, so you might say it has DI out. It's just not XLR, but a couple of 1/4" <-> XLR cables will easily fix it.
Sorry for necroposting.

8 hours ago, Eli_Kyiv said:

Well, it has balanced outputs, so you might say it has DI out. It's just not XLR, but a couple of 1/4" <-> XLR cables will easily fix it.
Sorry for necroposting.

I didn't say what you attribute to me. I did buy one, but don't use it now.