Why become a member? ×

Maurice Gibb - Bee Gees On TV Last Night

spongebob

Anyone else see the Bee Gees programme on BBC 1 last night?

I always think Maurice was the coolest Brother Gibb.....and he plays bass!

I love the images of him in his mid-70's threads, playing his Ric 4001. He played a good few throughout his life - in fact, a chap over on Rickresource owns his sky-blue 4001 which he played in the late 60's on loads of TV and video.

Everyone seems to have their own fave era - I love the pre-Fever 70's material, Fanny Be Tender, Love So Right, etc. Superb, soulful stuff no matter where they came from!

Must admit, quite like a lot of their other stuff too....This Is Where I came In....great tune!

Couldn't find a decent pic of Maurice to post here with Ric and shades, but the prog is well worth a watch if repeated.

Oh...and he sure could play bass as well!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1210717' date='Apr 25 2011, 11:06 AM']SRSLY?[/quote]

Totally!
I was laughing very hard at that point.....childish I know, but it was quite sweet really, no hint of irony??

Anyway, I did enjoy the programme. Jive talking was a great tune and I was fascinated by the bass line at the time.

Must be one of the most diverse collections of music by any band - loads of great stuff. Also, nice to hear their generosity towards Robert Stigwood and Arif Mardin giving them a lot of credit for the success of the band. I only wish Barry's teeth fitted better - the constant whistle as he spoke was very distracting!

The Bee Gees - a fantastic call on a sunny bank Holiday Monday! :)

A great group and the Gibb brothers are masters of the songwriting craft. Of course their body of work speaks for itself, but I feel their image never truly
recovered after the disco backlash of the early '80's and they remain forever more, filed away in the drawer marked 'guilty pleasures' alongside Abba et al.

'Saturday Night Fever' must be one of best film soundtrack albums ever produced ...

And as JTUK points out, some of their best songs were written for others ...

Frankie Valli

Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton (which I believe is the biggest selling country record of all time, not bad for some lads from The Isle of Man)

Barbra Streisand (sublime :) )

[quote name='tauzero' post='1211350' date='Apr 26 2011, 12:32 AM']Ah yes, the Bee Gees... Capable songwriters with no sense of humour and an overweening self-importance.[/quote]
Not at all like the side-splitting and entirely self-deprecating Clive Anderson :)

For balance, I should reveal I possess not a single waxing by Les Freres Gobb. Clever chaps, though.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1211350' date='Apr 26 2011, 12:32 AM']Ah yes, the Bee Gees...

Capable songwriters with no sense of humour and an overweening self-importance.[/quote]

That brought some memories back, I remember seeing this at the time...real clash of egos on both sides I thought?

some great basslines from these guys though

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1211381' date='Apr 26 2011, 02:10 AM']TBH I'm surprised they didn't walk out earlier. Ten minutes of what they thought was an interview turning out to be a set up for some lame gags, pretty poor show. Clive Anderson still comes across as a twat when he turns up on TV.[/quote]
Very true, both sides were trying to out-twat each other and in the end Les Tosseurs played the trump card.

They've written some pretty good stuff for other people, I can't think of a single one of their own songs that I've not intensely disliked.