Why become a member? ×

I met a rather famous bassist today...

joegarcia

[quote name='Rich' post='139068' date='Feb 12 2008, 08:22 PM']John Giblin is a fretless master. He makes it sing in a way I could only dream of.[/quote]
I'd never heard of John Giblin before he was in Simple Minds, and then a friend played me Brand X Products.

The track "Wal To Wal" with Percy Jones is fantastic. Simple Minds just didn't highlight his talent at all.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='138971' date='Feb 12 2008, 05:17 PM']A few years back I trotted along to a big name store to try out their Ampeg range. It was when the SVT-IV had just come out and there weren't many around.

I was about the only guy in there, and happily sat trotting out my favourite licks.

I was kind of aware that a guy had come in and was chatting to one of the store people. After a while the store guy calls over and says "can you play something - this guy wants to hear how it sounds?". So I turned up a bit, cracked my fingers, and launched into my rehearsed piece of Come Together - the Marcus Miller version.

The guy smiles, says "cool", shakes hands and walks out.

As I was leaving I asked who the strange man in the hat was.

Sadly it was Marcus Miller.[/quote]

I'm sorry...but that's just classic...lol!!!

Made me chuckle :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='139156' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:03 PM']I'd never heard of John Giblin before he was in Simple Minds, and then a friend played me Brand X Products.

The track "Wal To Wal" with Percy Jones is fantastic. Simple Minds just didn't highlight his talent at all.[/quote]He's all over Kate Bush's earlier work too. Think 'Babooshka'. Also, Fish's first solo album 'Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors' contains some of his beautiful fretless work, especially 'State Of Mind' and 'Family Business'.

This reminds me...

Many years ago when I were a lad... (17 or 18 I think) I went to the Barbican Guitar Festival (or Music Festival - I can't remember now) in London. Jim Marshal was there celebrating the 25/50 Aniversary - still got some of the coasters from then with the logo. On the Peavey stand one Colin Hodgekinson was doing a demo - still got a photo of that one. - one of my all-time favorite players. Then in one of the side rooms I came across a manufacturer new to the UK called Warwick. The bloke running the stand asked if I'd like a go. Stupid question - that's what I was there for! had a play around on a little headphone amp for 15 minutes enjoying the Streamer imensley. Was just taking it off and the guy behind me asked what I thought of it. I said I liked the neck a lot, the way the body curved, sound and tone and so on, turned round and looked John Entwhistle full in the chest! What a superbe (tall!) bloke though. Chatted for 10 minutes about basses - I was just starting out and that meeting inspred me for quite a while - but I was so awe-struck I forgot to get an autograpgh or photo.

Also came across the bass with the rubber strings - can't remember what they were called - saw them the other day on a web site. Very short scale, sounded very odd but very good.

Edited by FJ1200

By Proxy

When I relocated South I took a job as an onsite maintenance contractor for computer companies until I settled into getting freelance gigs in my new area. (finished now thank god) I was exchanging and reformatting a hard drive for a barclays customer in bournemouth a very nice lady, when I got chatting to her I revealed that the job was a stop gap and my real job is as a bass player.... she says 'what sort of music do you like' so I listed some of the things I listen to, she seemed to know a bit so I mentioned quite a few things including Weather Report, at which point she says hang on, and left the room, a few seconds later she returned with her wedding photo (former husband) it was Alphonso Johnson (for those who don't know he was in Weather Report BEFORE Jaco)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='FJ1200' post='139279' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:59 AM']This reminds me...

Many years ago when I were a lad... (17 or 18 I think) I went to the Barbican Guitar Festival (or Music Festival - I can't remember now) in London. Jim Marshal was there celebrating the 25/50 Aniversary - still got some of the coasters from then with the logo. On the Peavey stand one Colin Hodgekinson was doing a demo - still got a photo of that one. - one of my all-time favorite players. Then in one of the side rooms I came across a manufacturer new to the UK called Warwick. The bloke running the stand asked if I'd like a go. Stupid question - that's what I was there for! had a play around on a little headphone amp for 15 minutes enjoying the Streamer imensley. Was just taking it off and the guy behind me asked what I thought of it. I said I liked the neck a lot, the way the body curved, sound and tone and so on, turned round and looked John Entwhistle full in the chest! What a superbe (tall!) bloke though. Chatted for 10 minutes about basses - I was just starting out and that meeting inspred me for quite a while - but I was so awe-struck I forgot to get an autograpgh or photo.

Also came across the bass with the rubber strings - can't remember what they were called - saw them the other day on a web site. Very short scale, sounded very odd but very good.[/quote]

Ashbory?

[quote name='TheRinser' post='139346' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:43 AM']I had no idea about that side of John Giblin's playing! I asked him to play some bass and he wouldn't :) I'd downloaded some of the Simple Minds stuff he'd played on and it just grooved nicely... Downloading that fish album now.[/quote]

He also played on the first Judie Tzuke album, my wife went to school with Mike Paxman the guitarist with them

[quote name='Rich' post='139241' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:37 AM']He's all over Kate Bush's earlier work too. Think 'Babooshka'. Also, Fish's first solo album 'Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors' contains some of his beautiful fretless work, especially 'State Of Mind' and 'Family Business'.[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='138584' date='Feb 11 2008, 11:54 PM']Hehe, yup. Glad someone on here knows who my avatar is of. :)[/quote]

That character always kinda reminds me of Tom Johnston of The Doobie Brothers! Google him for a picture... :huh:

[quote name='TheRinser' post='139350' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:46 AM']Oh yeah, FJ1200, awesome story! And I think the little rubber string bass you're talking about is the DeArmond Ashbory?[/quote]

That's the chappy! Only 76 were made or summat. They go for around £280 now. Thought about getting one just for fun and to be a bit different. Don't suppose anyone here has one?

[quote name='FJ1200' post='139418' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:15 PM']That's the chappy! Only 76 were made or summat. They go for around £280 now. Thought about getting one just for fun and to be a bit different. Don't suppose anyone here has one?[/quote]

Yeah, I've got one of the newer ones and I think at least one other person here has one too. Great fun once you get used the intonation.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='TheRinser' post='139346' date='Feb 13 2008, 11:43 AM']I had no idea about that side of John Giblin's playing! I asked him to play some bass and he wouldn't :) I'd downloaded some of the Simple Minds stuff he'd played on and it just grooved nicely... Downloading that fish album now.[/quote]

John Giblin is one of the best bassplayers I know...The bassline on "Babooska" is a song of its own. Fantastic bassplaying on records by Duncan Browne (The Wild places) John Martin, Peter Gabriel, etc.... Plays it bit more upright for the moment if I 'm not mistaken. Inspired me a lot to pick up a fretless bass. A great musician.

Many years ago, I advertised my Aria SB1000 for sale in the Hull Daily Mail and took a phone call from a guy that wanted to try it.. I duly set my bass gear up in my Dad's garage and waited for the doorbell to ring. On opening the door I was surprised to see not just one lad, but several. They all trooped through my folks house, down the garden and into the garage....... "are you a band" I says, "yeah we are and we've just been given a record deal and a bit of cash to spend" one of 'em regailed, "cool, what are you called?" I nonchalantly enquired. "The Housemartins!" said the spokesman........

Well, I played a bit for them, they bought the bass and the rest is pop history!

Lazzer :-)

Not sure if this belongs in here or in the ‘Tenuous claims to fame’ thread as it’s about someone my wife met...

The missus used to work at ‘Andy’s Records’ in Beverley, East Yorkshire. The Beverley Playhouse was quite nearby so they used to get a bit of passing trade from acts performing there - some fairly well known.

One day she served a chap and, as he was leaving, one of her workmates, Andy (not the owner) said to her “er, do you know who that was?”.

She didn’t.

“Pino Palladino!”

Obviously I wasn’t there and part of me wishes she hadn’t told me the tale.

Matt

Edited by bassmanbish

[quote name='bassmanbish' post='140901' date='Feb 15 2008, 10:48 AM']Not sure if this belongs in here or in the ‘Tenuous claims to fame’ thread as it’s about someone my wife met...

The missus used to work at ‘Andy’s Records’ in Beverley, East Yorkshire. The Beverley Playhouse was quite nearby so they used to get a bit of passing trade from acts performing there - some fairly well known.

One day she served a chap and, as he was leaving, one of her workmates, Andy (not the owner) said to her “er, do you know who that was?”.

She didn’t.

“Pino Palladino!”

Obviously I wasn’t there and part of me wishes she hadn’t told me the tale.

Matt[/quote]

LOL - Pino is my old drummer's cousin (or 2nd cousin, something like that). Christ knows why he got me on bass !! Geez that man can play.

[quote name='lazzer' post='140636' date='Feb 14 2008, 08:58 PM']Many years ago, I advertised my Aria SB1000 for sale in the Hull Daily Mail and took a phone call from a guy that wanted to try it.. I duly set my bass gear up in my Dad's garage and waited for the doorbell to ring. On opening the door I was surprised to see not just one lad, but several. They all trooped through my folks house, down the garden and into the garage....... "are you a band" I says, "yeah we are and we've just been given a record deal and a bit of cash to spend" one of 'em regailed, "cool, what are you called?" I nonchalantly enquired. "The Housemartins!" said the spokesman........

Well, I played a bit for them, they bought the bass and the rest is pop history!

Lazzer :-)[/quote]

I know who to blame for the creation of the Beautiful South now :)

Not a bassist but I worked in a small hardware shop between 2 stints of working abroad in Wallington hight street, S London where Fransis Rossi used to come in and buy several cases of Brasso at a time. We used to see him quite a lot as he lived in Purley, just up the road. Bumped (literaly) into Rick Parfit in the Post Office once too!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='138754' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:33 AM']'This is I believes called ... food libraries. Food...library'
'Foods Libraries. Food libraries.'

Great stories![/quote]

"Food libraries, its a supermarket you douchbags! Sorry about the doucbags, I'm low on bloodsuger..."

Ive never been lucky enough to meet any famous bassists, id love to meet Paul - love his playing and his sound, and love the Jamiroquai band!

He sounds like a sound fella too.

Higgie, didnt you have Paul at one of your gigs? If I saw a hero of mine in the crowd id instantly screw up for fear of another muso judging my bass playing!

And I think i would wet my pants if I met Marcus Miller.