Why become a member? ×

BFM Omni 10s

thinman

Having got the plans I'm thinking of starting the building of a BFM Omni 10 or a pair of 10.5s (not sure yet - wavering towards the latter).

What's the general opinion on the drivers? I'm erring on using the Deltalite 2510s but will they be noticably better than/different to the cheaper Beta 10s?

OK - the total cost should only go up by £40 or so but £40 is £40 (or 16 pints at the local) but would the cheaper units be false economy in the long run?

If I were you I wouldn't choose a driver purely because it's cheaper, after all you have to live and listen with that decision.

there's a thread on Bills forum about this at, [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5061"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5061[/url]

:)

I would suggest that you'd be better off posting this question on Finnbass. There are a lot more people on there who have or are in the process of building BFMs.

IIRC I read one thread by a guy who had his Omni10.5s built by Thumper and he said that Thumper recommended the Beta 10s because of the smoother midrange compared to the Neos. Unfortunately I can't remember who the thread was by.

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='138647' date='Feb 12 2008, 08:09 AM']I would suggest that you'd be better off posting this question on Finnbass. There are a lot more people on there who have or are in the process of building BFMs.

IIRC I read one thread by a guy who had his Omni10.5s built by Thumper and he said that Thumper recommended the Beta 10s because of the smoother midrange compared to the Neos. Unfortunately I can't remember who the thread was by.[/quote]

[quote name='mhuk' post='138796' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:42 PM']But I remember reading a post with Bill recommending the Deltalites over the Beta 10s (may have been on Bill's forum not the Finnbass one).[/quote]
Thumper and Bill do disagree on this, becasue it's a purely personl choice. So I'd say screw the money consideration, do some research about the sounds of the two and choose because of that!

[quote name='Merton' post='138802' date='Feb 12 2008, 07:48 AM']Thumper and Bill do disagree on this, becasue it's a purely personl choice. So I'd say screw the money consideration, do some research about the sounds of the two and choose because of that![/quote]
From a technical standpoint the 2510 has higher midrange sensitivity and 147cc displacement versus 102cc for the Beta 10.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='138869' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:15 PM']From a technical standpoint the 2510 has higher midrange sensitivity and 147cc displacement versus 102cc for the Beta 10.[/quote]
OK, Thumper and Bill disagree from a technical (and personal?) standpoint! :huh:

Sorry Bill, misquoted what I read about a week ago at about 3am on another forum. :)

I have beta 10s in my Omni 10.5s and i reckon they sound great.

The general opinion over on Finnbass is that the deltalites have a more pronounced midrange compared to the Beta 10s. The Omni cab designs are quite strong in the midrange as well, so putting the two together may be too much if midrange isn't your thing...

As Merton said, it's all down to personal taste but if the weight saving isn't an issue then I don't think you'll be disappionted with the Beta 10s

[quote name='TheRev' post='138899' date='Feb 12 2008, 09:48 AM']I have beta 10s in my Omni 10.5s and i reckon they sound great.

The general opinion over on Finnbass is that the deltalites have a more pronounced midrange compared to the Beta 10s. The Omni cab designs are quite strong in the midrange as well, so putting the two together may be too much if midrange isn't your thing...

As Merton said, it's all down to personal taste but if the weight saving isn't an issue then I don't think you'll be disappionted with the Beta 10s[/quote]All things considered the Basslite S2010 is probably the best all-round choice if you're using two or more of them, with response similar to the Beta 10, displacement the same as the 2510 and the lowest weight of the three. The main problem with them in the UK is finding them.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='139008' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:42 PM']All things considered the Basslite S2010 is probably the best all-round choice if you're using two or more of them, with response similar to the Beta 10, displacement the same as the 2510 and the lowest weight of the three. The main problem with them in the UK is finding them.[/quote]
Plenty of food for thought there. Thanks all.

I notice that the Basslite S2010 recommended by Bill is now stocked by www.bluearran.co.uk so I could consider them but I notice also that their power handling is 150W RMS compared with 250W for the others being discussed. I'll probably be driving them with a Hartke 3500 (350W into 4 ohms) so I suppose I'd have to be careful if using just one Omni 10.5 loaded with an 8 ohm S2010. I doubt the weight difference to a 10.5 is of great concern to me.

As my question and the answer appears to be totally subjective, and without hearing a Beta 10 loaded cabinet vs the Deltalites side-by-side, I wonder if my best option is to build one 10.5 with a Deltalite and another with a Beta 10? I imagine they'd work fine together when required and if I really don't like one over the other it's only a case of replacing one driver.

Or do I go with Bill's recommendation (to which I attach a lot of weight), put aside the power handling worry and use Basslites? Or build a third 10.5 with one of those in? Oh blimey.

Or do I go mad with indecision and spend the money in the pub?

[quote name='thinman' post='139050' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:55 PM']I notice that the Basslite S2010 recommended by Bill is now stocked by www.bluearran.co.uk so I could consider them but I notice also that their power handling is 150W RMS compared with 250W for the others being discussed.[/quote]Not moot, but almost. Since the S2010 and 2510 have the same displacement they handle the same amount of power before the onset of distortion. To be safe with one cab/driver I'd go for the 2510, but with two I don't see the need.