Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Jazz bass flatwound strings

Delberthot

I've had a love/hate relationship with flats for most of my bass playing life.

Love because they're silky smooth and hate because I've never been able to find the right tension or sound from the ones I'd tried.

That was until I decided to have a go at these after going through an Iron Maiden phase.

I like everything about them -

I was able to buy the same gauge as I was using with roundwounds (45s) and they were about the same tension.

They are silky smooth and although I still get blisters, even after 24 years of playing, they're not as bad as I used to get.

They don't have a very good slap sound which is great because I've never found a use for that particular style except for the big rock song ending so I can concentrate on other styles instead.

I can do two handed tapping with them

I can get a really dirty sound when using a plectrum

They are still pretty bright for flats and I've never actually noticed any change in tone as they settled in.

Another big plus from me is that after 5 months I noticed that the D felt as though the wrap wires had gaps between them, more like TI flats so emailed Rotosound for advice. After a couple of emails describing the symptoms, they sent me out a brand new string. After 5 months use!

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year later and I still love them.

That's them been on the bass since about November 2010 and they're still as good as they were when I bought them.

I used to buy strings every 2 months so I've saved myself a fortune so far.

I've tried using rounds on other basses but they just don't feel or sound right.

The strings are still bright and I still get a nice sharp sound from them.

Edited by Delberthot