Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar playing and ownership is made illeagal!

Sawtooth

All laws are workable, you'd just have to be the one who is strong, smart and insane enough to take over the government and change it yourself.

To be honest if worse comes to worse you can just call it a "contrabass guitar" and it won't be illegal, different enough to still be legal.
Or maybe a contrabass sax, there needs to be more contrasax players.

[quote name='Ross' post='1210388' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:31 PM']All laws are workable, you'd just have to be the one who is strong, smart and insane enough to take over the government and change it yourself.

To be honest if worse comes to worse you can just call it a "contrabass guitar" and it won't be illegal, different enough to still be legal.
Or maybe a contrabass sax, there needs to be more contrasax players.[/quote]

I'm not sure about that. When they banned 'handguns' they didn't just ban handguns, they described exactly what a handgun was. You can't just call it something else - a bass by any other name is still a bass.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='1210396' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:36 PM']I'm not sure about that. When they banned 'handguns' they didn't just ban handguns, they described exactly what a handgun was. You can't just call it something else - a bass by any other name is still a bass.[/quote]
But you'd theoretically then have to ban all guitars, a bass is a type of guitar is it not?

You could just change the tuning and scale and call it a baritone bassolin, technically not a bass guitar and thus not banned.

[quote name='Ross' post='1210440' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:11 PM']But you'd theoretically then have to ban all guitars, a bass is a type of guitar is it not?

You could just change the tuning and scale and call it a baritone bassolin, technically not a bass guitar and thus not banned.[/quote]

Depends what they want to ban. They banned handguns a specific barrel length and stock length. Rifles weren't banned.

So my description would be a stringed instrument with scale length of between 30" and 36" with open strings producing fundamental frequencies between 20Hz and 200Hz. As a start....

Edited by TimR

Enough lawyers will draft it so it isn't so easy to work around, then a little bit of case law from the Court of Appeal or higher will fill in the gaps, I spot the 37" dingwall low B loophole already. Chapman sticks remain a grey area. Possession of a Chapman stick with intention to groove the low end.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1210528' date='Apr 25 2011, 12:03 AM']Enough lawyers will draft it so it isn't so easy to work around, then a little bit of case law from the Court of Appeal or higher will fill in the gaps, I spot the 37" dingwall low B loophole already. Chapman sticks remain a grey area. Possession of a Chapman stick with intention to groove the low end.[/quote]Well said.

[quote name='TimR' post='1210461' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:32 PM']Depends what they want to ban. They banned handguns a specific barrel length and stock length. Rifles weren't banned.

So my description would be a stringed instrument with scale length of between 30" and 36" with open strings producing fundamental frequencies between 20Hz and 200Hz. As a start....[/quote]
I'd build one just outside those boundaries and call it a contrabass ballsack.

After the conquista, the Spaniards actually forbid playing instruments to the indios, except spanish style instruments, which lead to the invention of the Charrango. - Not to speak of countless enslaved people who were not allowed to play, as in North America, or the West Aftican Slaves, who, using the rattling of their chains, created what is now known as Gnawa music. So if there's really somebody in the position to make playing instruments illegal - I don't think you could just "go to the lawyer".