Why become a member? ×

We've got a sander!

uke

Jeez O

When will this nonsense end ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Fender-Stratocaster-Telcaster-Jazz-Bass-Jaguar-/300549980284?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45fa2cc07c"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Fender-Strat...=item45fa2cc07c[/url]

Interpreted into laymans terms this act of barbarianism reads"Fed up with that mint P Bass you dont finish paying for til July 2012?,dont replace it....send it to us and for a mere £129 we will attack it with anything B and Q has in their bargain bin turning it into worthless piece of sh!te giving your mates hours of endless laughter making w***er gestures behind your back an and telling folk the only reason your in the band is cos you get your works Transit for moving the gear about"
Honestly i first seen this "relicing"thing when i was looking for my first bass just over a yr ago and even then thought it was the most insane idea i`d heard of,could take it further in all products,buy a new car n get the salesman to take it ram raiding a couple of times or park it in Wester Hailes overnight prior to delivery.Im tempted to send them an old Strat i have in the cupboard to relic slightly altered so when they remove the scratchplate it blows up giving them the"vintage 70s Willy Coyote relic`d look".f***in fannies.

[quote name='uke' post='1208768' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:24 PM']Jeez O

When will this nonsense end ?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Fender-Stratocaster-Telcaster-Jazz-Bass-Jaguar-/300549980284?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45fa2cc07c"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Fender-Strat...=item45fa2cc07c[/url][/quote]

Oh God! They just look bloody dreadful. :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1209468' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:06 PM']I can do mate, if you want I can give you a shout next time I'm down your way?[/quote]

That would be ideal, but I've moved out of the House of Bass and now reside in Doom House in Greenbank, neatly missing the riot (people were that upset by the loss of the soothing sound of JoeGarcias habitual 3am bass cab stress tests).

[quote name='Grandad Paul' post='1209980' date='Apr 24 2011, 12:55 PM']Anyone who wants paying to do that to a wonderful piece of equipment should be very painfully despatched to the afterlife.[/quote]
It's OK, they're only doing it to Fenders.

I'm quite pleased that doing this to guitars has moved on to this sort of response. Not long ago we had to accept sanded guitars as being a good thing as part of our tolerant, existential society. When will this move to those who have received this treatment at the Fender factory - or am I still treading on egg shells?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1210665' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:53 AM']I'm quite pleased that doing this to guitars has moved on to this sort of response. Not long ago we had to accept sanded guitars as being a good thing as part of our tolerant, existential society. [b]When will this move to those who have received this treatment at the Fender factory - or am I still treading on egg shells?[/b][/quote]
I think it's a little too soon for that yet. :)
Lovers of the "pro knackered" (not just Fender) are still going relatively unchallenged over claims of an inexplicable boost in performance and tone over their completely varnished brethren, which in turn perpetuates a price point that excludes non-elitists from actually trying one out at length and finding out the truth.

A properly done relic'd finish is nice. I like my Sandberg, I like the finish on it, it gives it more character than just another red/white/rosewood jazz like every other red/white/rosewood jazz out there.

A relic job done by a 5 year old with an axe looks crap though. Relic'd finishes are hard to do properly and I would never let someone lose on a loved bass with a hacksaw or whatever they use, I'd want to buy the bass with the finish on it so I could see what it looked like before I invested in it.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1211146' date='Apr 25 2011, 07:25 PM']Relic'd finishes are hard to do properly[/quote]

They are very hard to do properly. Usually takes about 20-30 years of constant use. Anything else is a waste of time. imho of course. :)

[quote name='deanovw' post='1211170' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:07 PM']They are very hard to do properly. Usually takes about 20-30 years of constant use. Anything else is a waste of time. imho of course. :)[/quote]
+1 to that.

Artificial relicing of any kind just sucks...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1210701' date='Apr 25 2011, 10:41 AM']Doing it to vintage stuff "this is the perfect solution & it will only add value" thats just daft. A shame for the rest of us but if the owner is that silly then they deserve to have their eyes wiped.[/quote]
Very true. It isn't as if the finishes on 40-50 year old Fenders will be pristine in most cases, it's a shame to deliberately damage a well-preserved instrument. And, stupidly, it reduces the value of an old instrument if the finish that looks like sh*t is taken off and it's properly refinished (unlike anything else I can think of).

I cannot see its any different to buying a new car, bringing it home and taking it to a body shop to have that 'been to the supermarket' look. You know the thing, a couple of trolley dints, and a bad parker scrape down the side. Would any of us do that? I doubt it very much. I still think that even the factory ones are vandalism, and part of a very clever marketing ploy. Only MY opinion of course, and I acknowledge everyone wont agree.

Hooray! A relic argument, been a while.
I don't mind it, wouldn't do it though, my relic looking guitars have genuinely just been played to death thanks.
Not sure if my fretless counts as a relic, as I started refinishing it, got as far as stripping most of the poly off, and then left it like that as I quite liked it. Might finish it soon, but anyone who thinks it got like that naturally would need to have their brains looked at very seriously. Can't find a pic of it, though I think it's in my profile pic still.
I think honest wear and amusing accidents are much better than any attempt to fake it.

These instruments attacked by plonkers with a sander, lighter, screwdriver etc did me a favour actually. I needed a tough guitar that could be abused in one of the toughest environments known to man, the school classroom. I picked up a Fender Baja (I think) tele for £200 that was less than a year old. The kid selling it had burnt off the serial number, scrapped off the edges using sandpaper, nicked it with a screw driver and bent a machine head. Apart from the latter, everything else was inconsequential and one set of Bare Knuckles later it is one of the best instruments I've ever had, and gets loads of compliments from pupils and punters alike on how it plays and sounds. These vandalised instruments are like the boutique Sue Ryder basses of the instrument world, I can highly recommend them!