Why become a member? ×

Markbass 152HR

mr_russ

I've tried one of these before but not at length and not with a 5 string stingray.

My current band uses programmed electronic drums and I'm finding it bastard difficult getting enough out of my current rig, I really don't want to push my cab too far.

I've got a single MB 2x10 which is absolutely fantastic- it's served me well in traditional band setups for years and could take anything I could throw at it. Only trouble is, I'm trying to get such an immense amount of low end which this cab (along with every other cab I've tried at GAK and elsewhere) isn't quite capable of.

I spent a good while yesterday trying out different cabs including
GK 410 RBH (not bad, expensive)
GK 115 RBH (as above)
Hartke 810 XL (I think- great sounding cab, really really good)
Markbass 410 classic (also excellent)
Markbass 810 classic (expensive- sounds a lot like the 410)

All the above were excellent sounding cabs but still winced at the amount of low end I'm trying to attain, each one bottomed out.

Then I tried the Markbass 152HR - 2x15 + horn, with a GK700RBII - sweet holy f***ing jesus- I think I've found my cab.

I actually had to turn the bass DOWN - Huge low end (down to 35hz on paper) - yet massively clear and punchy to an extreme, the only cab that really whacked me in the chest, it made the whole room vibrate but was easily tamed aswell.

Plus it's only 50% heavier (an extra 10kg) than my current 2x10.

I've been looking around before I shell out that kind of money- but the only thing I can even think of now is the Bergantino 2x15.

Has anyone had experience of either the MB 152HR or Berg 2x15 in a regular gigging situation? Any advice would be great.
Is there anything else you could recommend I try out or consider?

Cheers ;D

Russ