Why become a member? ×

Fuzz/blend pedal

adz

I recently bought a colorsound fuzz pedal and it is killer, so much dirt with so much bottom end.

As I dont need that much dirt all the time and need just a bit of grit for some songs I was just wondering whether a blend pedal set up right would take some of the killer fuzz away and leave me with just a grit sound or would it literally just add back some of the clean sound?

In the later case i guess i will have to buy another pedal to add the grit.

Cheers

Not much experience with blend/loop pedals but I thought the whole idea was that it would add some of your clean sound back?

Is that one of the big silver Colorsound bass fuzzes? I used one at a recent recording session and got shouted down by the rest of the band as it was too much. Oddly enough, they let through an MXR Blue Box at the next session.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1202247' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:32 PM']Not much experience with blend/loop pedals but I thought the whole idea was that it would add some of your clean sound back?

Is that one of the big silver Colorsound bass fuzzes? I used one at a recent recording session and got shouted down by the rest of the band as it was too much. Oddly enough, they let through an MXR Blue Box at the next session.[/quote]

Wasnt sure but thought maybe if i dialed in enough dry signal on the blender it would make a less fuzz more slightly dirty sound.

Yeah its the big silver one. It is a ridiculous pedal, a bit too much for some bits unfortunately.

[quote name='adz' post='1202258' date='Apr 16 2011, 11:46 PM']Wasnt sure but thought maybe if i dialed in enough dry signal on the blender it would make a less fuzz more slightly dirty sound.[/quote]

I can see your logic but unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. You could make the fuzz sound less prominent but the actual sound of the fuzz would be the same. Also, when your guitarists kick their distortion in, the quieter sound of your fuzz will get lost and you'd be hearing your clean signal again. In this case, I'd recommend looking in the For Sale section here for a reasonably priced distortion/fuzz (of which there are many).

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1202662' date='Apr 17 2011, 03:20 PM']I can see your logic but unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. You could make the fuzz sound less prominent but the actual sound of the fuzz would be the same. Also, when your guitarists kick their distortion in, the quieter sound of your fuzz will get lost and you'd be hearing your clean signal again. In this case, I'd recommend looking in the For Sale section here for a reasonably priced distortion/fuzz (of which there are many).

Dan[/quote]
so true, a lesson i've learned at much expense.. :)

I like the Colorsound fuzz vibe... used to have a modded tonebender back in the late 70's... it was great...but before the modding it was a little light on bottom end... recently bought a Colorsound bass fuzz & it's turning out to be a pain in the arse!

see my signal loss thread! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131920&st=0&p=1204133&#entry1204133"]signal loss thread[/url]

Surprised to hear you say that yours has tons of bottom end!.... maybe mines a duffer?

begrudge having to get it sorted when it's already cost £129! reckon I need it modded to let more bass through & put in a smaller box with an LED on it & also a power socket.

So you have no problems with yours, other than it being a bit over the top?

Edited by bottomfeed

very tempted to sell my Way Huge Swollen Pickle, i got from here a couple of weeks ago from Dosi-y-anarchy. it doesn't have a blend, but has a huge bottom (oo-er missus)

it's a very cool Muff variant with more options and tweakability, but i have too many fuzzes now, and this one isn't quite my style..

PM if you're interested, i got it for £90 posted, so would be happy to get the same back.

there's a review of it in last months' BGM.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1204182' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:43 PM']very tempted to sell my Way Huge Swollen Pickle, i got from here a couple of weeks ago from Dosi-y-anarchy. it doesn't have a blend, but has a huge bottom (oo-er missus)[/quote]

The WHSP does have some monstrous bass but it's another pedal that if I put it on my board I'd never turn it off.

Dan

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='1204155' date='Apr 18 2011, 09:12 PM']I like the Colorsound fuzz vibe... used to have a modded tonebender back in the late 70's... it was great...but before the modding it was a little light on bottom end... recently bought a Colorsound bass fuzz & it's turning out to be a pain in the arse!

see my signal loss thread! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131920&st=0&p=1204133&#entry1204133"]signal loss thread[/url]

Surprised to hear you say that yours has tons of bottom end!.... maybe mines a duffer?[/quote]

The sound I got out of mine was a bit thin but I thought that was to do with the Chandler preamp the guy in the studio insisted on running my bass through. All dirty tones sounded bad through that so it was hard to tell.