Why become a member? ×

The John Birch Appreciation Brigade

noirpunk

[quote name='noirpunk' timestamp='1302899513' post='1201192']
Cheers dude, our drummer is a huge fan of The Damned so I chose the name much to his delight :)
[/quote]
Ah, The Damned :) Always had a soft spot for them. Saw them about a dozen times. First proper punk band I ever saw way back in the spring of 1979 at age 15, in a tiny Chester nightclub. Ears rang for days! Never looked back. My life changed that night. ........ PS: Bloody nice find there, wish I had one[i] under the bed[/i]. All I have is an old Drop D Hohner

Edited by daz

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348393700' post='1812969']
Anyone fancy a bit of vintage awesome power in their guitar or bass? having all those poles makes it work like a blade so they're great in guitar OR bass (I have both for now)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-Hyperflux-Pickup-by-John-Birch-RARE-Tony-Iommi-Old-Boy?item=221127292319&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2245070649219219381"]http://www.ebay.co.u...070649219219381[/url]

No connection with the seller, but right now I'm thinking "£160?" :blink: I'll be flogging a JB Magnum which looks near identical to that in coming weeks, so I'll be hoping for similar.
All of the sellers pitch about Iommi is a crock, easily demonstrated by the page they included themselves from a JB catalogue telling you that it's the Magnum which Iommi uses, because of it's huge output.
[/quote]

[size=5]£200!!!![/size] :o :blink:

I can only assume some Sabbath fan has believed the pitch and is being suckered! Not even the US JB collector would pay that much ..........
............. would he???

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348842459' post='1819025']
[size=5]£200!!!![/size] :o :blink:

I can only assume some Sabbath fan has believed the pitch and is being suckered! Not even the US JB collector would pay that much ..........
............. would he???
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-Hyperflux-Pickup-by-John-Birch-RARE-Tony-Iommi-Old-Boy?item=221127292319&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2245070649219219381#ht_2630wt_1207"][b]£620 !!!!!![/b][/url]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1348943639' post='1820050']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-Hyperflux-Pickup-by-John-Birch-RARE-Tony-Iommi-Old-Boy?item=221127292319&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2245070649219219381#ht_2630wt_1207"][b]£620 !!!!!![/b][/url]
[/quote]

That's unbelievable! I expect it to reappear soon.

• 7 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi just seen this thread and thought I would tell about my John Birch bass. 

I was playing with a band in the Wolverhampton area (grew up around wolves/staffs border) and was looking for a new bass to suit the garage rock/indie our band was playing at the time it was 2006 when I came across an advert in the Express and Star that peaked my interest gibson EBO/3 at a good price. 

I went to look at the bass and fell instantly in love with its sound from the deep heavy mudbucker and strange bridge pickup.The seller explained the bass had been modified by John birch at some point in the past and the bridge pickup and bridge has been added to the bass at some point either way the faded cherry Gibson was leaving with me. 

I still have the bass and will be a treasured possession along with my guild starfire for a long time to come. 

Still have the old hand written receipt 

20210621_211136.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2021 at 21:14, Joebethell said:

Hi just seen this thread and thought I would tell about my John Birch bass. 

I was playing with a band in the Wolverhampton area (grew up around wolves/staffs border) and was looking for a new bass to suit the garage rock/indie our band was playing at the time it was 2006 when I came across an advert in the Express and Star that peaked my interest gibson EBO/3 at a good price. 

I went to look at the bass and fell instantly in love with its sound from the deep heavy mudbucker and strange bridge pickup.The seller explained the bass had been modified by John birch at some point in the past and the bridge pickup and bridge has been added to the bass at some point either way the faded cherry Gibson was leaving with me. 

I still have the bass and will be a treasured possession along with my guild starfire for a long time to come. 

Still have the old hand written receipt 

John had a bit of a rep for modifying Gibsons, and other brands but especially Gibsons. he told me himself that his inspiration for his J1 guitar style was to mirror the cutaway on a Les Paul to make the body symmetrical. He was quite scathing of Gibsons in general. His SG copy made the horns more pronounced. Some of his mods have had a "Customised by John Birch" metal plaque added below the bridge or the back of the headstock.

Interesting to see the EB0/3 description. Could it be a bass that was originally an EB0 but adding a pickup has made it EB3 spec. I had just such a bass, it had been badly refinished cherry after being inn a shop window too long and the front of it was bleached to "walnut". The mod on mine wasn't a John Birch job though.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Big_Stu said:

Is that a recent purchase? I saw a very similar on eBay in the not too distant past.

No not a recent purchase I have had this bass since 2006. It's not used as much as I should these days but it's got a sentimental attachment as one of my first proper basses.