Why become a member? ×

Problem with Trace head

andrewrx7

Hi there,

I've got a Trace Elliot AH300-7 head and went to do our 1st gig of the year yesterday, only to find the output is knackered - it seems set to full on no matter where the pot is set (better than no output, I suppose, at least we could still do the gig, by dropping the input gain significantly).

I have no recollection of dropping or knocking the head - I look after my gear very well.

Any idea of what has gone wrong - presumably electrical? The output button still turns as it should, doesn't feel like it is broken. Has anyone had any similar problems, and therefore give me an indication before I try to find someone willing to have a look at it?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers
Andrew

Sounds like the output pot has shorted somehow. They are mounted directly onto a verticle PCB IIRC. Try taking the case apart and spraying a load of contact cleaner (Maplin) in and around the output pot.

Also check on the "solder" side of the board near to the three pot contacts. The short MAY be visible.

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='137233' date='Feb 9 2008, 06:56 PM']Sounds like the output pot has shorted somehow. They are mounted directly onto a verticle PCB IIRC. Try taking the case apart and spraying a load of contact cleaner (Maplin) in and around the output pot.

Also check on the "solder" side of the board near to the three pot contacts. The short MAY be visible.[/quote]

Thanks for the pointers!

Andrew

Nope, mine have all been virtually bombproof. My Commando combo died fairly early in its life coz my mate dropped it out of a van and the heatsinks fell off the output transistors. But Trace fixed it and it's never put a foot wrong since.

Good luck getting yours fixed :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to complete the thread, volume pot was at fault, the track inside had broken. In addition, something to do with the EQ board was loose, and there was a split track on the fan controller (not sure what that actually means, maybe on the PCB?). The head has never cut out, so the fan has been working, but there was obviously the potential for something to happen at any time (i.e. fan to cut out and the head to overheat). So overall, it was worth having it looked at. £45 all sorted.