Why become a member? ×

Chris Larkin Custom Five SOLD!

jmanfunk

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='142781' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:03 AM']Heh, when I was discussing with Chris how to mount to ramp he asked "are you going to keep the bass for the forseeable future" and I of course said "yes". He suggested, since that was the case, to just route a space for it making it completely adjustable........hindsight is twenty twenty I guess! :) I think it looks great anyway and difference really is the spice of etc. :huh:[/quote]

Bump with a question
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Ramp" when it is at home?
I am guessing aslap related thing or maybe a finger rest?
Sorry but never come across this before

Biggus

[quote name='woolleydick' post='155744' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:49 AM']Bump with a question
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Ramp" when it is at home?
I am guessing aslap related thing or maybe a finger rest?
Sorry but never come across this before

Biggus[/quote]

Hey Biggus,

The ramp certainly acts as a convenient thumb rest but also aids in giving a smoother & lighter attack attack as you can't dig in as much. It also helps with recovery of the thumb if you use it for plucking a la Gary Willis (the originator I believe) and a host of other players; Matt Garrison, Hadrien Feraud, Janek Giwzalda, Tony Grey etc. All in all a nice addition to any bass provided you wish to play that way! Check out Matt Garrison in action

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aplgh-lBU8"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aplgh-lBU8[/url]

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bZY4HmVsWwY"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bZY4HmVsWwY[/url]

[quote name='MB1' post='156032' date='Mar 12 2008, 02:50 PM']MB1. :huh:
Looks like we are in for some more larkin about! ;)
.........Mancunian Windy Bump![/quote]

Thanks for the welcome bumpage MB1! I guess the resale problem with bespoke custom instruments is just that; they're customised *grumbles*

So if anyone is the market for a walnut bodied through-neck five stringer with a 35"scale flamed maple neck, 19mm string spacing, j-style pups, is headless, single-cut, has a powerful yet transparent eq., rosewood board, splated beech top and em.....black hardware, then this is THE bass for you!! :) Will knock any 'off the peg' instrument with similar spec for six ;)

This sale may take a while but I'm a patient, patient man............

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='142051' date='Feb 17 2008, 07:07 PM']It was funny the first time.....and even funnier now ;)[/quote]

[quote name='MB1' post='143303' date='Feb 19 2008, 07:04 PM']MB1. :)
Might pay to lark around the top of the list! ;)
BUMP![/quote]

[quote name='MB1' post='156032' date='Mar 12 2008, 02:50 PM']MB1. :huh:
Looks like we are in for some more larkin about! ;)
.........Mancunian Windy Bump![/quote]

thats what you get for encouraging him :huh:

I knew I shouldn't have looked in this forum........... although I think I saw this bass when it was on ebay already

This bass is actually the prototype pictured of his website, isn't it?
I take it it's a natural finish (not laquered) so will need waxing regularly?

I'm really quite tempted, but of course I'd prefer to play it first, plus my girlfriend might kill me if I buy another bass, plus how do I hang it on the wall without a head??!!! I'll have a think about it...............

Cheers!

Yap, I've had it on ebay for while indeed and it is the prototype for Chris' single cut design. It has what Chris describes as an AC silk lacquer finish. It provides ample protection but really shows off the beautiful woods and is very smooth to the touch. And best of all it doesn't require any waxing just the odd polish here and there.

And not being able to hang it on the wall is a small sacrifice;) Go on, treat yourself.

And you're more than welcome to come try it out. I'll provide the tea and hob nobs :)