Why become a member? ×

New band, finally found something good!

Musicman20

Ive finally found something thats worthy of spending time with. I went to school with the drummer so we have a good relationship. The singer/guitarist is very laid back (not lazy, just friendly and easy going) and has a good attitude.

They are already gigging, so im now joining them to add depth to their sound in the next month.

This is the first time Ive played at low volumes, and its fantastic. First practice was quiet and good fun.

The singer/guitarist uses an acoustic through the PA or a small amp, and is going to start using an electric through a small amp in the next few months to add to the types of music we play.

99% covers, with a twist.

They are more than happy for me to go straight to the PA with a Sansamp or my Tone Hammer...last night I went straight into the PA without these and it sounded much better than I expected.

Id QUITE like to look into a very small, light-ish combo with a nice DI out, and a very clear uncoloured tone. 1 speaker is definitely going to be enough, whether it be a 10 or 12. They do not play loud.

I could:

A - Use the PA with the DI boxes I have (BDDI and Tone Hammer)
B - Buy a small light cab to use with my small amps (maybe even a DB112)
C - Buy a cool little combo (1x10 or 1x12) like a Genz Combo, Promethean Combo, or GK MB combo.

Remember, this is acoustic. I am going to try the TC RS210, but from previous experience it is very loud for a small cab!

How are the new GK MB combos? Low prices, but low quality?

Cheers!

Edited by Musicman20

Personally, I would give the DI unit route a go first before spending pennies on anything.

If it doesnt work and you miss the presence of an amp on stage when the guitarist goes electric, look into it then. Seems to be a fairly liberating thing for you being able to play at low volumes, why not go for a low amount of gear to begin with too?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1198230' date='Apr 13 2011, 01:51 PM']A - Use the PA with the DI boxes I have (BDDI and Tone Hammer)
B - Buy a small light cab to use with my small amps (maybe even a DB112)
C - Buy a cool little combo (1x10 or 1x12) like a Genz Combo, Promethean Combo, or GK MB combo.[/quote]

Well, although fun, a new combo would probably be overkill.

The easiest would be to DI with an exisitng DI/head, as long as you were happy enough with the sound.

Failing that, I'd go for a good 1x10" cab. I'm very happy with my Genz Benz STL-10T driven by my TC RH450 for small stuff & practice. And it's all as light as a feather - head in a gigbag over the shoulder, bass in one hand, cab in the other (and the cab is the lightest of the three!)

And a DB112 is hardly that light, at just over 20kg... I picked up a GS112 (slightly lighter) as a possible half way between my STL-10T and my NEOX-212T. Passed it on quite quickly, as it was barely any lighter than the 2x12, and was no-where near as capable - it was definitely a case of GAS getting the better of me!

Hey Gareth, thats so cool, you have joined the same band as me apart from we do originals only. Male and female singer, both playing acoustics. me on bass and we auditioned a drummer who will play with brushes and hotrods or just percussion. Its so nice and relaxing and refreshing.

Anyway, I was in the same situation as you and settled on a Markbass 121H combo. Way louder than what I need but does not mean I have to use it. Plus, we are planning on doing some festivals this year and may be doing some area's so I wanted something with a bit of balls. Plus my old 30 watt combo sounded like a wet fart.

Thanks for the advice. Agreed on the DB112 probably being overkill and quite heavy! I do LOVE the tone though.

Its a case of wanting to turn up with the combo all ready, quick setup, then play. They are all about modern light equipment and the PA is small but very good quality.

Another option is the Phil Jones Cub, £319!!!! [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_amps_detail.asp?stock=07011311585829"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_amp...=07011311585829[/url]

Bargain.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1198268' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:22 PM']Hey Gareth, thats so cool, you have joined the same band as me apart from we do originals only. Male and female singer, both playing acoustics. me on bass and we auditioned a drummer who will play with brushes and hotrods or just percussion. Its so nice and relaxing and refreshing.

Anyway, I was in the same situation as you and settled on a Markbass 121H combo. Way louder than what I need but does not mean I have to use it. Plus, we are planning on doing some festivals this year and may be doing some area's so I wanted something with a bit of balls. Plus my old 30 watt combo sounded like a wet fart.[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah its refreshing and the P bass sounds beautiful with a quiet drummer and an acoustic. Definitely keep flats on it.

I was tempted to look at larger combos as well, for bigger gigs, because they seem to be doing quite well, and the drummer may be giving up his main band to put more into it.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1198272' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:24 PM']I've got a TC RS112 cab just sitting around at home if you're interested, Gareth. I was going to stick a FS thread up soon anyway. PM me if you're interested. Oh, and it's in VGC, ya picky bugger ye. :)[/quote]

Cheers ill definitely give that some thought! :)

Firstly, congrats on the new band, you sound much happier with things which is good to hear.

Secondly, Promethean 5110 Combo!

I played in a very similar set up, instrument-wise, to yourself for a few years before I left Edinburgh.
I used to use a LittleMark250 through an Aguilar GS112 but eventually replaced it with the Promethean which was perfect!
It can sound pretty neutral, can do a wide range of tones if you want, it's light as hell, it's tiny, it's very very loud and has a nice DI out, oh and it's about half the price of the Shuttle 6.0 12T Combo.
I must add the build quality of the thing is incredible, I was very very pleasantly surprised.

Going through the PA is fine as a back up, but there's no substitute for going through a proper bass amp.
It provides proper separation between the bass and the rest of the band, you'll have complete control over your sound (and volume) rather than having it ruined by the PA being tweaked to suit the room, something which is very important when gigging smaller venues with an acoustic guitar, to avoid nasty feedback...

That's my 2p! :)

Eude

[quote name='Raggy' post='1198289' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:33 PM']Am guessing you still have the Genz Streamliner and TC RH750 incoming?

Either of those will, I'm sure sound sublime through a small cab at the sort of volume you are looking at. And wont be overkill due to the dinky size of them.[/quote]

Sure have, still waiting but in no need of them at the moment.

Agreed, a nice small well made cab would be great.

[quote name='eude' post='1198287' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:32 PM']Going through the PA is fine as a back up, but there's no substitute for going through a proper bass amp.[/quote]

+1, unless you have marvellous monitors or IEMs. Going through the PA would take all the fun out of it for me.

We're all different, though...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1198293' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:35 PM']Definitely want to consider the Promethean. Light, small, good price, and ive heard like you say the quality is high.

I dont want to spend £1000 on a combo or £600 on a neo cab when you can get good sounding ones like this for £500+.[/quote]

Well I would strongly recommend it matey.
I moved from the MarkBass/Aguilar set up as it was over kill and although it was incredibly portable, there was even more portable things out there.

If you're considering getting a 1X10 cab, you might want to look here too >>
[url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-cabs/eden-ex110-cab.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-cabs/eden-ex110-cab.html[/url]

Not sure what they're like though.

Get out and have a go of a Promethean :)

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1198278' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:26 PM']Thanks! Yeah its refreshing and the P bass sounds beautiful with a quiet drummer and an acoustic. Definitely keep flats on it.

I was tempted to look at larger combos as well, for bigger gigs, because they seem to be doing quite well, and the drummer may be giving up his main band to put more into it.[/quote]

Yeah I am using a Precision as we have a very Motown/Soul vibe going on although I am refusing to use flats (It has crossed my mind but don't tell anyone). I also fancy trying a Jazz as there is a lot of melody in my bass lines and fancy a bit of honk and attack.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1198230' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:51 PM']Remember, this is acoustic. I am going to try the TC RS210, but from previous experience it is very loud for a small cab![/quote]

Does your amp have one of those new fangled volume knobs? If not then you could try plucking softer. :)

Well, Ive had a look around at all the available options for small gigging/practice combos/separate cabs.

Im going to DI for the time being as the pedals, as we all know, are very high quality, and I know the singers PA is a well kept, modern system, so I have that option.

I would still like something for myself to use for certain gigs. I do like the feel of a bass amp behind me, and no doubt I would put it on a table so its at ear height.

I have decided against the GK MB combos. I haven’t tried one, but the price seems too good to be true. 500W 2x12 combo for under £550 and its lightweight?! Something has to give.

Ibanez Promethean – Great little bit of kit, but I’m worried the 1x10 is going to be a little too small for what I need. I don’t necessarily need an amp as I have an RH750 and Streamliner 900 incoming. If that combo was a 1x12 Id be after it.

Genz Shuttle Combos – Wow, very pricey gear. I never knew what these combos went for. £1000 for a 1x12 and a Shuttle 6.0? That’s more than Markbass by a fair whack. Not saying it isn’t good quality, and the Genz amps themselves are, IMO, great prices, but their cabs seem quite pricey. At £1000 I may as well buy a high end 1x12 and use one of my amps…same thing really. Or, go all the way and get a Walkabout Scout 1x12 Combo.

Then, on the other hand, there is no point getting anything too large, as the TC RS210 cab is quite light and small as it is, so in that regard, I may as well use that and be careful with volume!

So, unless anyone has any physics-defying ideas for small and good quality/not too expensive combos, ill stick with the DI for some gigs and then use an RS210 on others. Some 1x12s are as heavy (almost) as the RS210!!!!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1201253' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:12 PM']I have decided against the GK MB combos. I haven’t tried one, but the price seems too good to be true. 500W 2x12 combo for under £550 and its lightweight?! Something has to give.[/quote]

That's definitely an unusual reason for not going for something. :) You really should give one a go, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1201267' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:29 PM']That's definitely an unusual reason for not going for something. :) You really should give one a go, you won't be disappointed.[/quote]

I know what you are saying, totally, but Ive found that when a deal seems to good to be true, it normally is!

Not knocking GK, but how have they managed to get a 500W class D amp, and 2 neo speakers in a cab for £550?! What quality are the components?