Why become a member? ×

Me Gear...

FJ1200

Thought I'd add to the general mele here and throw some photos in the pot...

Does anyone know anything about the GA140? Had it years, 15" speaker, once I replace the gain pot it should be ok - gain is very crackly. Tried contact cleaner but no good. Bit of a hum but not overbearing. I tend to use my Boss compressor than the one on the amp though as it changes the sound too much, unless I want to change it of course.

The little Trace Elliot I got off eBay for £40 2 years ago.

The Aria was cheap and is playable, but once I get some cash I'll try something a bit different.

Edited by FJ1200

[quote name='FJ1200' post='137004' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:16 AM']Thought I'd add to the general mele here and throw some photos in the pot...

Does anyone know anything about the GA140? Had it years, 15" speaker, once I replace the gain pot it should be ok - gain is very crackly. Tried contact cleaner but no good. Bit of a hum but not overbearing. I tend to use my Boss compressor than the one on the amp though as it changes the sound too much, unless I want to change it of course.

The little Trace Elliot I got off eBay for £40 2 years ago.

The Aria was cheap and is playable, but once I get some cash I'll try something a bit different.[/quote]

I had an Ohm GA-140 in the early eighties, it was a great amp. Ohm were originally launched from a company called Leech which was based in Manchester UK. They still make PA gear, in fact I have an Ohm MR-450 stereo sub bass cab. They made quite a range of guitar and bass gear and were quite highly regarded at the time of their introduction and were kind of a working mans Trace Elliot

Thanks very much for that Ian - I've been trying for ages to find something out about them! I seem to remember seeing some of their gear around in he 80's. The 15" does get a bit out of control sometimes and has a wall-shaking capability but we had a large extension built 3 years ago and since we live on a corner the neighbours are a fair way away so I now play in the new study.

The CL sounds a bit naff - needs new strings, the pickup is a transducer-type that sounds a bit too punchy and trebbly (is that a word?) for my liking and it's very neck-heavy. I'm thinking of trying some new nylon accoustic bass strings - don't know idf anyone has any experience with them? Never seen another CL bass though. More pics here (but this is an amps and cabs list so better keep this short) [url="http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/562326978NtgwUU"]http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/562326978NtgwUU[/url]

Edited by FJ1200

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...