Why become a member? ×

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Oldman

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1198928' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:57 PM']I do find it slightly ironic that the main contributor to this thread sold a bass to a guy on here last year. The guy drove all the way to pick it up, a round trip I think of a few hundred miles. The bass had been advertised with certain pickups, I can't remember exactly what I was told.
When he got there the seller said "Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I've swapped out the pickups on the bass". Well it was a bit late then wasn't it if he did mind. The guy had also put a mark on the front of the bass by not being too careful swapping the pickups over.

Anyway, I subsequently bought the bass which is when I was told the story.[/quote]
So, this story which you 'can't remember exactly' is hearsay and may or may not be accurate. How is that helpful to this thread?

As for 'the main contributor to this thread', does that mean the OP; or the person with the most posts in the thread; or who? You may think you're not being personal but you've still got some of us trying to work out who you are accusing - i.e. the person you identify as 'the main contributor to this thread'.

Would the 2 parties be happy with a 3rd person going round to collect either cash or amp, have the other person send what's due and then forward the outstanding item?

eg. someone takes money from Geester, tells Oldman to send amps. Amps arrive, Geester is happy with them. Cash gets sent to Oldman.

Or vice versa.

Get camera phone, switch to video mode, switch on and point at self and amp. Switch on amp and plug bass in. If all ok conclude the deal, if not post video to YouTube etc for world to see and demand money back!
Maybe I've missed something in all of this but this could be a solution.

[quote name='270degrees' post='1198981' date='Apr 14 2011, 03:53 AM']Would the 2 parties be happy with a 3rd person going round to collect either cash or amp, have the other person send what's due and then forward the outstanding item?

eg. someone takes money from Geester, tells Oldman to send amps. Amps arrive, Geester is happy with them. Cash gets sent to Oldman.

Or vice versa.[/quote]

While that would generally be a good idea, Geester wants the amps back to check if they've been modified (which is fair enough), what happens if he declares they have, the person holding money would suddenly become responsible for sorting out the mess because it would be up to them to decide where the money goes. Not a fair position at all.

I’m glad that Mike has put his tuppence in instead of insinuating he has been scammed. Only Mike and I know what has happened here, he knows he sent me a 120V amp without declaring it at the outset and then assured me it works perfectly. So we have established it is a 120V supply despite it working on 240V as claimed. To suggest that I might have had it modified is ludicrous, I received the Headlite and Amplite on Tuesday 22nd March looked at them, the Headlite obviously wasn’t UK Voltage I engaged in mails with Mike to resolve this issue, it was not to be resolved. I packed them up Thursday 24th March and asked a colleague to post them whilst on Holiday once I confirmed cash in my account. They are still under my desk waiting to go, they have not left the office since arrival. I am in work for 07;00Hrs my partner also works we live 20 Miles outside of Aberdeen couriers charge more for delivery goods take longer to arrive it is more convenient to have items delivered to the office especially if I am overseas.

Cosmo’s Spector was picked up from the office, the Dean Pace I sold was picked up from the office, a T/E V Type 4 x 8 combo was sent to the office a line 6 XT Bass Pod Live was sent to the office, all deals on Basschat.

If an independent third party is prepared to plug this Headlite into 240Volts and pay for any damage that ensues I’m quite happy to go with that. However, Class D amps run hot, I have an AER AMpOne I have experience with this. How hot a Stamped 120Volt would run at 240V is anybody’s guess and I suspect that is why this Amp came on the Market. This deal would have been smoother or not happened had Mike been upfront with the Voltage, that’s the issue, Caveat Emptor, and my fault for not pursuing the lack of clarity in my transformer question, which with the revelation that the Amp wont work on a step down transformer means I have a useless Amp!

Thanks for your input Mike, you and I know it won’t change this stalemate.

I suggest that all posts to this thread be curtailed but it be left as a reminder that things might not be what they seem.

Brian Norris

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1198928' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:57 PM']I do find it slightly ironic that the main contributor to this thread sold a bass to a guy on here last year. The guy drove all the way to pick it up, a round trip I think of a few hundred miles. The bass had been advertised with certain pickups, I can't remember exactly what I was told.
When he got there the seller said "Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I've swapped out the pickups on the bass". Well it was a bit late then wasn't it if he did mind. The guy had also put a mark on the front of the bass by not being too careful swapping the pickups over.

Anyway, I subsequently bought the bass which is when I was told the story.[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1198963' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:55 AM']So, this story which you 'can't remember exactly' is hearsay and may or may not be accurate. How is that helpful to this thread?

As for 'the main contributor to this thread', does that mean the OP; or the person with the most posts in the thread; or who? You may think you're not being personal but you've still got some of us trying to work out who you are accusing - i.e. the person you identify as 'the main contributor to this thread'.[/quote]

+1, he's kinda thrown that accusation at quite a few of us hasn't he Dave? Having sold a few basses on here, and having then seen a couple sold on at substantially inflated prices (and in one case with changed out cheaper parts), I'd be interested to hear who the mystery buyer and seller are? Or at least, if he;s not prepared to name names, he could say which of us it's not :)

Chris