Why become a member? ×

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Oldman

My two cents.

I don't think it's right to use BCer's real names in these threads, even if in praise. The chap in question has chosen to be known as 'Geester' on here, so that is what he must be known as. He may be cool with revealing his true identity to one and all, but that must be his choosing. I think the OP should go back to the start and edit as appropriate.

Incidentally, I did a deal on here a few months back with Oldman, and I can't fault him for the thoroughness and detail of our communications at all.

This is the mail sent to me, note the date and time

Sent: 23 March 2011 16:12
To: Brian Norris
Subject: RE: Green Goddess
Best all round if you send them back to me and I'll give you a refund.

MG

Geesters "Scam Post" was started 23rd March at 17:04, 52 minutes after he said send them back.......................

I rest my case.

Should a Moderator want to see this thread no problem, at all.

Point taken Cosmo, but it had to be done.

Edited by Johngh
removal of e mail address

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='1198347' date='Apr 13 2011, 04:02 PM']I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I don't see why Geester posted that thread about the scam! As far as I can see, it's not covering his tracks, he's basically posted a thread trying to pass it off as a scam, but he's basically posted a play-by-play of what he's done himself! Am I being thick here?[/quote]

Read the message he posted again, now that you are aware of the issue Oldman posted here.
It makes it appear that maybe Oldman would be the one trying to play a trick... and that post was made before this "issue" existed, anticipating the following events. It does look bad. I really want to keep an open mind, sometimes coincidences are amazing... but it looks a little fishy, unfortunately :)

OK, let me set the record straight -

These are UK spec amps, I have used them myself and they work perfectly. I have given Oldman (AKA Brian Norris of Aberdeen) my 100% assurance this is the case but he quite obviously does not believe me. He simply refuses to plug them in.

Next, here is an extract from an email to me from Mr Norris -

[b]We could, if your unhappy to refund, keep the money, leave the deal as it is but no Washburn, I can get a 120V UPS Step Down Transformer and protect the amp like that.
[/b]
It appears Mr Norris has not admitted to sending this to me in any of his postings to date, how strange.

The irony is that if Mr Norris uses a step down transformer the amps will not work. But given the potential embarassment he will probably never admit this. Particularly as it will then mean he then owes me a Washburn Acoustic bass.

Can someone near Aberdeen please go along, plug the amps in and play a bass through them. It's as simple as that.

[quote name='misrule' post='1198789' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:08 PM']Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is it worth getting a tech to confirm the "US voltage" amp can't work in both countries?

It seems strange to me that the seller offered to let people try it at his house in the original ad.

There might just be a possibility that you're both right.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]
+1

Just a thought here, but it may be that Geester's thread was simply a way of canvassing opinion about possibly being scammed himself. Scenario: He's been happily using an amp without any problems, sells it and then receives an email saying that it's a US amp and won't work with UK voltages. Only of course this runs contrary to his own experience. So, having found out that the OP travels a lot, concludes that the scam outlined in his post may be being perpetrated. Having come to the conclusion that a scam is in operation, Oldman's request that the amp is returned before any refund is made is treated with scepticism.

We've no way of knowing what is actually going on here, but it seems to me that if the scam Geester described was an attempt to muddy the waters it was a particularly lame one. To my mind, something along the lines of the above scenario makes more sense.

Geester's input is needed here, preferably via PM with Oldman, and if necessary perhaps an intermediary could be found to ease any qualms either party might have over being the first to make an exchange (if indeed it is deemed necessary).

Edit: I really need to learn to type faster!

Edited by Musky

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1198878' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:01 PM']Now Geester's chipped in, it's a good time to draw a line under this one I reckon.[/quote]

Hang on....I'm light one Washburn Acoustic bass....I'd like to see what people say now I've told the truth....

So the deal was amp for cash and guitar.... cash went and amp sent... problem arose and oldman doesn't want to send amp back untill he gets his money.... geester doesnt want to do this as it will leave him without amp, cash or guitar.... sticking point. And to my mind perfectly reasonable.

So without apportioning blame solutions.....
Geester.... you sold the amp....with pictures? you get one of the back with the serial number on it? ....... or look up your guitarguitar reciept this will have the number on it.
Find a 3rd party on the site who is willing. give him the money, oldman sends back the amp to the 3rd party. The serial numbers match and everything gets reset.
If the serial numbers dont match- different problem....

[quote name='Geester' post='1198871' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:52 PM']Next, here is an extract from an email to me from Mr Norris -

[b]We could, if your unhappy to refund, keep the money, leave the deal as it is but no Washburn, I can get a 120V UPS Step Down Transformer and protect the amp like that.
[/b]
It appears Mr Norris has not admitted to sending this to me in any of his postings to date, how strange.[/quote]

[quote]I declined and asked for the deal to be unravelled now, as I was going on Holiday and I could arrange for the Goods to be returned as soon as the Money was refunded back into my account reversing the deal or [b]we could leave the deal as it was, no Washburn Trade and I would buy a step down Transformer[/b]. Mike said return the goods for a refund, I thought for at least a nano second and then asked for the deal to be reversed, money refunded and then goods returned in that order.[/quote]
I think he did :)

Not that I want to take sides or get involved :)

Edited by Blademan_98

Perfectly happy to refund the money once I've received the amps. Given Oldman's approach, I'd like to check the gear first for any 'modifications' he may have made before I send back any money. Now you see the problem. As far as I'm concerned, I've sold Mr Norris two perfectly good amps for £200 less then he said he would pay, i.e. not received the Washburn part-ex.

If you were buying something from a shop you send the money then they send the goods. If you want to return the goods they don't send you the money first and then you return the goods....they would give you a short answer if you took that approach, basically saying you're out of your mind...

Right guys. Now Geesters got involved in the thread I'm going to leave it open. But I would respectfully suggest that both parties find a solution by PM.

If I get up in the morning and the thread's gone down the pan, I'm going to close it.

While I personally think it's good that members are warned about deal's gone bad, I don't really want General Bass Discussion turned into an arena for slagging matches about problem deal's.

[quote name='Geester' post='1198901' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:27 PM']If you were buying something from a shop you send the money then they send the goods. If you want to return the goods they don't send you the money first and then you return the goods....they would give you a short answer if you took that approach, basically saying you're out of your mind...[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan to get it all resolved :)

[quote name='Geester' post='1198901' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:27 PM']Perfectly happy to refund the money once I've received the amps. Given Oldman's approach, I'd like to check the gear first for any 'modifications' he may have made before I send back any money. Now you see the problem. As far as I'm concerned, I've sold Mr Norris two perfectly good amps for £200 less then he said he would pay, i.e. not received the Washburn part-ex.

If you were buying something from a shop you send the money then they send the goods. If you want to return the goods they don't send you the money first and then you return the goods....they would give you a short answer if you took that approach, basically saying you're out of your mind...[/quote]

what modifications????????? Its you thats talking about this scam about voltage changes that nobody has ever heard about and lets face it is possibly the most elaborate scam with the least amount of return for alot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this honestly a scam or is it something you have worked out to make this sour deal not look so bad on you?

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1198907' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:33 PM']what modifications????????? Its you thats talking about this scam about voltage changes that nobody has ever heard about and lets face it is possibly the most elaborate scam with the least amount of return for alot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this honestly a scam or is it something you have worked out to make this sour deal not look so bad on you?[/quote]

Ahem...
[quote name='Johngh' post='1198903' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:29 PM']Right guys. Now Geesters got involved in the thread I'm going to leave it open. But I would respectfully suggest that both parties find a solution by PM.

If I get up in the morning and the thread's gone down the pan, I'm going to close it.

While I personally think it's good that members are warned about deal's gone bad, I don't really want General Bass Discussion turned into an arena for slagging matches about problem deal's.[/quote]

I do find it slightly ironic that the main contributor to this thread sold a bass to a guy on here last year. The guy drove all the way to pick it up, a round trip I think of a few hundred miles. The bass had been advertised with certain pickups, I can't remember exactly what I was told.
When he got there the seller said "Oh, I hope you don't mind, but I've swapped out the pickups on the bass". Well it was a bit late then wasn't it if he did mind. The guy had also put a mark on the front of the bass by not being too careful swapping the pickups over.

Anyway, I subsequently bought the bass which is when I was told the story.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1198916' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:42 PM']geester, im right in thinking you got the amp in soundcontrol.... your reciept with have the serial number on it....[/quote]
So why would Sound Control sell a 110V amp?

[Edit] I think the problem amp was bought from Guitar Guitar in Birmingham. If it was a 110V unit, I would expect the receipt to state this.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Geester' post='1198950' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:22 AM']...I didn't sell anyone a bass last year...[/quote]

I didn't say that you did :) .

The irony is in the fact that it was one of the people posting in the thread.

For what it's worth, I hate threads like this, see my reply to the Bassdirect trial last night.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1198954' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:28 AM']For what it's worth, I hate threads like this, see my reply to the Bassdirect trial last night.[/quote]
If you don't mind my saying so, you're not helping. Try to stick to the issue in hand and don't get personal. Humour is not covered by these remarks, of course - just make sure you're funny. :)

Edited by stevie

You're quite right...you didn't say it was me at all....I just thought I'd make the point....

I hate threads like this too as folks (including me) make an awful of assumptions and could be gold medal winners if jumping to conclusions was an olympic sport...

One thing that really did make me suspicious on this one is that Mr Norris flatly refuses to give his home address, stating instead that it's best to use his work address. He has my home address, my phone number, my email address and has splattered my name right across Basschat....I'm half expecting my address and phone number to be made public soon...

The guy won't send back the goods, he wants me to give him the money first....I won't do that, I want the goods to be returned first...stale mate...

I've bought and sold loads of stuff on here, some very recently and all has been smooth and successful.....Mr Norris seems to be an exception....

[quote name='stevie' post='1198956' date='Apr 14 2011, 12:34 AM']If you don't mind my saying so, you're not helping. Try to stick to the issue in hand and don't get personal.[/quote]

I don't think any of this is helping.

How have I got personal ? I haven't and won't mention any names in what I've said, so there's absolutely nothing whatsover in the slightest personal in my comments. Sorry, you've gone and amended your post now :)

Edited by Soliloquy