Why become a member? ×

*SOLD*: EBS TD650

SOLD

Everyone knows what these are like... Awesome!

Looking to free up some cash for my Roscoe fund and as I also own a HD350 and don't really need the massive power that the 650 has I'm offering this up for sale. It's a 650w powerhouse with true tube definition and that awesome EBS funky zing.

It's in great condition, recently revalved (I do that every 6 months or so as I'm anal like that) and has never been abused. I'm asking a VERY reasonable [i]£600[/i] SOLD, collected from Nottingham. I'll include a 4U Gator rack case for it for an extra £20 if required.

Please note this is strictly collection only and I'm not prepared to ship under any circumstance. It's too heavy and valuable to take the risk.

Seen here in the rack case it's always been stored in...

Please note the cab has already sold and the tuner is not available.

Shep

[quote name='overwater#1' post='1210490' date='Apr 24 2011, 11:08 PM']The best bass head by far, i'm on my second and loving it!! Bargain price!! Seriously, below average price for one of these.. Snap it up someone!!![/quote]

I definitely would if I could but I can't sell my LM Tube :) - sorry Shep, I know that doesn't help but it does get you a bump :) .

Have to add my endorsement to this amazing amp, the TD650 is my favourite head ever, i had one for a while and adored it, i have the HD 350 now and bloody love that too, if i had the cash id love to upgrade as i liked the valve option- huge bump for the bargain of the week :)

[quote name='fryer' post='1217822' date='May 2 2011, 05:47 PM']Hi, what is the difference between this and the 660 model ? I can't find the spec for this one. Richard[/quote]

The 650 and the 660 both share the exact same power board (despite the specs saying that the output from the TD660 is 660w and the TD650 being 650w - open a TD650 and look at the label on the pcb), the difference is all in the preamp. The 660 features certain switching functions - like mute, e/q in out, character in/out etc that the 650 doesn't have. It also has a variable gain level on the effects loop. That's about it in terms of functionality. The TD660 has a tweaked preamp from the TD650, to me at least, has lead to a slightly different top end response... (e.g. in the super highs).

Oh.. and the small switch LEDs (on the character button for example) are red on the TD650 and blue on the TD660.

Basically what Russ just said.

The 660 is pretty new and is effectively the same thing just 'version 2'. Many stockists still have the 650 in and obviously won't get the 660 until they sell through existing stock. General feedback I've heard is that the 650 is prefered tonally... And having had a quick play on one I would agree.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1217846' date='May 2 2011, 06:00 PM']The 650 and the 660 both share the exact same power board (despite the specs saying that the output from the TD660 is 660w and the TD650 being 650w - open a TD650 and look at the label on the pcb), the difference is all in the preamp. The 660 features certain switching functions - like mute, e/q in out, character in/out etc that the 650 doesn't have. It also has a variable gain level on the effects loop. That's about it in terms of functionality. The TD660 has a tweaked preamp from the TD650, to me at least, has lead to a slightly different top end response... (e.g. in the super highs).

Oh.. and the small switch LEDs (on the character button for example) are red on the TD650 and blue on the TD660.[/quote]

I don't know why, but I get the impression that you're a bit partial to EBS stuff ? Could you provide a bit more info please ? I currently have a Peavey Firebass, which I like the sound of, but need something lighter. I was thinking of getting something better, like GK or this. I normally use it with an Epi UL 410, but I take it I could run two cabs ( with a peavey 410 ) if required ? How would this compare to the Peavey ?

[quote name='fryer' post='1217938' date='May 2 2011, 07:19 PM']I don't know why, but I get the impression that you're a bit partial to EBS stuff ? Could you provide a bit more info please ? I currently have a Peavey Firebass, which I like the sound of, but need something lighter. I was thinking of getting something better, like GK or this. I normally use it with an Epi UL 410, but I take it I could run two cabs ( with a peavey 410 ) if required ? How would this compare to the Peavey ?[/quote]

I've got a lot of EBS stuff... and it was a name that was given to me... which stuck. Like everything in life, there is stuff I like and stuff I don't like. The best amps that EBS have done, imho, are the HD350 and TD650. All the other stuff, whilst good stuff, doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I try everything out and stick with what I like - for example, I went from Proline cabs to Neoline cabs, back to Proline cabs because I preferred the sound of the Proline. Not that Proline are better -they are just different and what I prefer.

The Peavey Firebass - I presume you are talking about the black fronted panel amp? I've used them at rehearsal studio - and they provide a lot of amp for the money. I didn't like the fact that it appeared to run out of power at relatively low volumes - mostly due to the Peavey speaker protection thing kicking in. I didn't see it as a remarkably loud amp and for your bog standard bass sound, it got the job done. I use a TD650 - in comparison, it delivers with more balls and covers a wide spectrum of sound. See it more as a PA amp. It doesn't shelve your highs... so you get sparkly slap and tap if you want it... along with all the features of other amps out there. You'll hear people say that EBS are loud watts. They do appear so. Shep is selling this and keeping his 350w head. It's a seriously loud 350w head and when plugged into the right cabs, will move lots of air with no problem.

As for going lighter..,, I wouldn't put the TD650 at the top of my light list... and I would move to a lighter amp... but I haven't found anything that delivers like my TD650 yet... so I'm not moving anywhere yet.

As for cabs, the EBS will run down to 2 ohms. That means you can run a combination of cabs with the amp depending upon what the impedance of your cabs are. For example, if you wanted to run multiple cabs, you can run 2x 4 ohm cabs, or even 4x 8 ohm cabs... As long as you keep above 2 ohms, the amp is happy. I would say though, if you are looking at 4x10 multiple cabs, its best to keep them matched - at a very minimum, their impedance. (Isn't the Epifani 8 ohm and Peavey 4 ohm?)

Not sure I can add much more to to the above.

The amp delivers stunning clear sound with stunning response to the top end. Peavy stuff tends to be more fat, tradition bass tone, the EBA will happily do that, but is really designed for clarity and full range performance.

An amp does need the right cabs to really sing though.

I use this with a pair of 4 ohm cabs but found it a waste as it's so damn loud, running it with a single cab saw me running this with the volume at only about 4!

If I hadn't found the HD350 was enough for my needs then this would stay. The HD and TD amps are the best I've used by far and I certainly wouldn't be without one of the 2. As for weight. It isn't light. But is sounds AMAZING.

Shep

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1217955' date='May 2 2011, 07:35 PM']I've got a lot of EBS stuff... and it was a name that was given to me... which stuck. Like everything in life, there is stuff I like and stuff I don't like. The best amps that EBS have done, imho, are the HD350 and TD650. All the other stuff, whilst good stuff, doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I try everything out and stick with what I like - for example, I went from Proline cabs to Neoline cabs, back to Proline cabs because I preferred the sound of the Proline. Not that Proline are better -they are just different and what I prefer.

The Peavey Firebass - I presume you are talking about the black fronted panel amp? I've used them at rehearsal studio - and they provide a lot of amp for the money. I didn't like the fact that it appeared to run out of power at relatively low volumes - mostly due to the Peavey speaker protection thing kicking in. I didn't see it as a remarkably loud amp and for your bog standard bass sound, it got the job done. I use a TD650 - in comparison, it delivers with more balls and covers a wide spectrum of sound. See it more as a PA amp. It doesn't shelve your highs... so you get sparkly slap and tap if you want it... along with all the features of other amps out there. You'll hear people say that EBS are loud watts. They do appear so. Shep is selling this and keeping his 350w head. It's a seriously loud 350w head and when plugged into the right cabs, will move lots of air with no problem.

As for going lighter..,, I wouldn't put the TD650 at the top of my light list... and I would move to a lighter amp... but I haven't found anything that delivers like my TD650 yet... so I'm not moving anywhere yet.

As for cabs, the EBS will run down to 2 ohms. That means you can run a combination of cabs with the amp depending upon what the impedance of your cabs are. For example, if you wanted to run multiple cabs, you can run 2x 4 ohm cabs, or even 4x 8 ohm cabs... As long as you keep above 2 ohms, the amp is happy. I would say though, if you are looking at 4x10 multiple cabs, its best to keep them matched - at a very minimum, their impedance. (Isn't the Epifani 8 ohm and Peavey 4 ohm?)[/quote]

Thanks for all the info. I've tried lightweight heads, GB shuttle etc. This EBS is half the weight of the Peavey head. I've got the 4 ohm version of the Epi, so both my cabs are 4 ohm. Thanks again, I think I'll go for it.