Why become a member? ×

What Ohm Cab would i need......

BassJase

Howdy y'all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a query i have....
I recently bought a Peavey T-Maxx 2x10 combo amp (it was sat from new in our local music shop for about 3/4 years, and they recently closed down and i got it for £180....:) ) and i'll be gigging it this weekend. The thing is that i'm playing it at a venue i've never been to before, so i want to take along another extension cab in case a bit more welly is needed.
The extension speaker socket on the back says "mimimum 2 ohms."
Now, does that mean i'd need a 2ohm cab, or a 4ohm or a 8ohm can to make it reach its full welly? The whole ohm thing confuses me at the best of times...!

Many thanks for any help, -Jase.

[quote name='BassJase' post='136842' date='Feb 8 2008, 08:40 PM']Howdy y'all,

I recently bought a Peavey T-Maxx 2x10 combo amp (it was sat from new in our local music shop for about 3/4 years, and they recently closed down and i got it for £180....:) ) and i'll be gigging it this weekend. The thing is that i'm playing it at a venue i've never been to before, so i want to take along another extension cab in case a bit more welly is needed.
Now, does that mean i'd need a 2ohm cab, or a 4ohm or a 8ohm can to make it reach its full welly? The whole ohm thing confuses me at the best of times...!

Many thanks for any help, -Jase.[/quote]

IIRC the internal combo drivers are combined to present a 4 ohm load to the amp, so to get the maxx (sic) from it, you'd need a 4 ohm ext cab.

If you put an 8ohm one on you won't do any harm and the extra drivers will give you more perceived volume regardless of the mismatch in handling.

@ £180 that is a seriously stonking buy!

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='BassJase' post='136842' date='Feb 8 2008, 08:40 PM']Howdy y'all,

Many thanks for any help, -Jase.[/quote]

That was a good deal. I've just paid almost that for a T-Max pre-amp.

I would suggest reading the manual and if you don't have then go to Peavey's web site and download it or google it.

The T-max amp can handle a total load of 2-ohms minimum so you need to find out what the impedance is of the the speakers in the combo and work from there. Tha manual or the product data sheet should hopefully give you that.

BTW my good friend funnyfreddy had a T-Max head which he ran at 2-ohms and it blew up, so don't be too quick to follow him down to the Peavey repair centre.

Many, many thanks fellas, i was hoping i could use another 4ohm 2x10 to run it at full welly, and hopefully it won't blow on me!

Yeah it was a greta deal, it was just sat there gathering dust for literally about 3 or 4 years with no buyers so it was used quite often as a demo amp for the basses. No manual for it though, and unfortunately the lead is fixed (grr...) but apart from that i'm well pleased with it.

[quote name='BassJase' post='136962' date='Feb 9 2008, 02:27 AM']No manual for it though, and unfortunately the lead is fixed (grr...) but apart from that i'm well pleased with it.[/quote]
[url="http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80302264.pdf"]T-Max Manual is here[/url]