Why become a member? ×

2nd build 4 string headless Singlecut

Gizmo

Hey Robbie

Not sure about the forums BassBash but [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1077"]Bassday 2007[/url] is on at the Royal Northern Academy of Music in Manchester on 11th November 2007
Im still waitting for gary to post a list of participants but if its as cool as the 2005/2006 lineup i'll be there

Cheers
steve

Hey all

Well i got the FB fretted,im using stew mac's medium fretwire (i just got 56ft of the stuff!) it still needs fileing close to the edge and beveling but i'll do that tomorrow

& i started on the tummy tuck

Cheers
steve

Hey all

Got the fret fileing and beaveling finished and glued up the fingerboard to the neck

Im just waiting on a seller to get back tome about a set of EMG soapbars and an EMG BQS pre-amp
but i'll see about getting the rest of the hardware install over the next few days so i can dress the frets and string her up

Cheers
steve

Edited by Gizmo

Hey all

didnt manage to get the hardware setup on her today as i was late getting down my workshop due to the sh*tty weather....
but i did manage to finish profiling the neck now the fingerboard is on (ive gone for a septor ns2 feeling profile as i've had a US ns2 for about 14 years and i just love the feel of the neck)

anyhows some one emailed me asking for a pic of me holding the bass so they could see how big is was because they thought it looked a little small...so here ya go

[attachment=1058:bodysize.jpg]

Cheers
steve

Strung up :)

[attachment=1092:strung.jpg]

Action is pretty low with very little buzzing but i think i might recesse the tunners into the top by 1/8" or so as the strings dont bottom out when the saddles are zero'ed
thats my own fault as i took the fretboard to 3/8 from the originally planned 1/4" and forgot to account for the saddle hight....doh

going for a set of EMG 35j's soapbars(if i have enough of the maple top left i'll try and make some matching pup covers for them)and a BQS 3 band eq system
so it should have a Jazz'y Bass tone with a little more bite

& for the finish im going to go with danish oil for the top/neck/FB sections with a few coats of a water based wipe on poly over that for a little more protection
and just wipe on poly on the ash body wings because im not to keen on the way danish oil yellows ash and id like to keep it as litte as possible which the poly does quite well on the test pieces of ash ive used it on

Cheers
steve

Hey steve

Thx for the kind words :huh:

She sounds quite bright & zinggy acoustically atm & thats just as i hoped she would
that i guess is mainly due to the maple/maple/maple neck/fb & top combo and the lightness of the ash body wings

I just started to get the finish on over the past few days but because its going tobe different depending on the section (as described above)
it takes a little longer than just slapping on a danish oil finish everywhere like i did on my fish bass :huh:

I was hopping the pups and pre would have arrived today but i guess there running a little late due to the postal action :)

Heres a few pic's of the poly gloss going on to the body wings

[attachment=1190:14072007.jpg]
[attachment=1189:14072007_006_.jpg]
Cheers
steve

Hey guys

Well i started to oil the maple sections of the bass before i poly over them as i feel it helps add a warmth to the finish

I got about 3 coats of danish oil on the neck thur section today and i'll wet sand another few tomorrow that should add a nice gloss to the maple body section before its poly'ed
and then i'll steel wool/rub the neck section back to give a nice satin feel to it

[attachment=1212:back_oil.jpg]

Cheers
steve

Hey guys

Started to get some oil on the top the quilt is really popping up now this is with about 3 coats and un-buffed

[attachment=1240:top_pop.jpg]

I'll aim for about 6-8 coats of oil then buff before i add a few coats of poly to give it a tougher finish

Cheers
steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

Well despite the sh*tty weather ive manage to get the finish on leveled up and buffed to a nice gloss

[attachment=1407:glossy.jpg]

Pup's have arrived and the preamp is sitting at parcelfarce b'ham awaiting dispatch so once it here theres just a bit more routing a fret dress/setup & final buff so she should be done by the end of next week ! (i hope)

Next on the drawing board is a g****r for my dad (i think im gonna try my hand a a PRS style) & a SC 7 string bass(B to F) or maybe a 30" headless piccolo bass(i still have some headless hardware kicking around i want to use)

hey maybe i'll go mad and work on all 3 at the same time :)

Cheers
Steve

Hey guys thanks for the comments & kind words they means a great deal to me :huh:

shes not totally finished as ive had some delay on the final few parts arriving thanks to the rolling postal strike :)

[attachment=1540:HW_fitted.jpg]

Preamp is drilled/fitted/wired but i didnt have time to fit the output jack which i'll try and get done over the weekend if real life does'nt get in the way....next set of pic's (i hope) will be final setup/buffed and ready to slap about

All the best
Steve