Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Bassline Universal 5 - Unique & rare EUB/Fretless hybrid

THIS HAS NOW SOLD

Hi folks,

I had serious EUB GAS and after much searching picked this up as the nicest EUB I'd tried. After some time of solid playing upright, the GAS has not only passed but I find I don't enjoy the experience as much as I thought I would and if anything it's made me try harder on my other bass skill set.

It's a Bassline Universal 5. The current (or most recent) spec of this from Bassline is a longer scale and has a piezo pickup along with a slightly different body shape. Mine is an early production model and was designed as a hybrid electric fretless/EUB. It's a shorter scale - 34", and has 2 magnetic passive pups. It has sunken strap lock points (set of locks included) so it can be worn as a regular fretless bass (and my god it's a head turner if you do!!!) but also had a great adjustable stand and an end pin for EUB duties.

Great condition with only a few marks, solid maple body and ebony fretboard. Restrung 3 weeks ago with LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats. It has amazing tone and is cabale of both punchy fretless sounds and smooth upright tone based on how you use the pups and your playing style. AMAZING neck contour! Flamed Ash body/neck & Ebony board.

Pics -

The current spec one is listed on Basslines website at €3050 (ouch!). Anyone interested should contact Bass Direct where the bass now resides and is listed at £1300.

Shep

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bud. They are utterly stunning. One of best fretless basses I've played, with a very even tone.

They are a little odd though and so many people would pass them up. maybe this should be in the bass rather than EUB section... After all it's a 34" scale fretless, but cam be played upright style...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1208627' date='Apr 22 2011, 08:26 PM']Thanks bud. They are utterly stunning. One of best fretless basses I've played, with a very even tone.

They are a little odd though and so many people would pass them up. maybe this should be in the bass rather than EUB section... After all it's a 34" scale fretless, but cam be played upright style...[/quote]

It was the 'oddness' that attracted me to it. The sound is amazing too though :).

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1208661' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:13 PM']It was the 'oddness' that attracted me to it. The sound is amazing too though :).[/quote]

It was the 'oddness' that drew me to it as well. I imagine however, it's also the 'oddness' that puts many people off trying stuff like this... It shouldn't be though. Take the stand out of the equation and it still remains one of the best sounding 5 string fretless basses I've played.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1293030' date='Jul 5 2011, 07:23 AM']<snip>
It does look a little 'unique' being worn on a strap though... :)[/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing :)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' post='1293219' date='Jul 5 2011, 11:46 AM']You say that like it's a bad thing :)[/quote]

Not at all... But as 'most' EUB's ate a little odd looking anyone can get away with it on a stand. Worn on the strap I can see how the die hard traditionalist Fender lovers may find it a little offensive looking! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1293372' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:35 PM']Not at all... But as 'most' EUB's ate a little odd looking anyone can get away with it on a stand. Worn on the strap I can see how the die hard traditionalist Fender lovers may find it a little offensive looking! :)[/quote]

That's the difference between a bass player and a bass guitar player, I guess :)

• 3 weeks later...

This has been here too long. PM me an offer... I'll 'consider' all offers.

Will also consider part-ex's as listed on my sale thread for my Roscoe... Will reduce the price accordingly.

TC Polytune
Moogerfooger Bass or Midi Murf
Moogerfooger Delay
EBS Neo 212 or 210 or 110 or 112
PA amp (nothing too high spec - for a rehearsal room!)
4 string Status Groove (miss mine from years ago - for old times sake!) or other moderate priced 4 string.
Boss LS-2

Shep

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...