Why become a member? ×

Marshall JCM 800 Bass 100W valve head

bigjohn

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not sure of the year or condition - will find out tomorrow as I'm going to give it a go.

Will be from someone I trust (I'm bigger than him) and will have been serviced by him. Just want to know if the price he wants is fair. I'm not really that experienced in buying amps - and I've never bought a valve head before.

Anything? Anyone?

Cheers

John

Edited by bigjohn

I think our own OBBM has one of these, or picked one up to repair. If he doesn't chime in, it may be worth a PM.

I THINK I saw an immaculate one for £350 some time ago (well not THAT long ago, maybe 2 years) so that might be some use.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='136238' date='Feb 8 2008, 05:43 AM']£250-350[/quote]

Coolio - I think he wants £325 for it - Which will be good if he's replaced the valves and had a good poke around inside. Much better than ebay 'cos if I break it I can take it back! That's got to worth something in itself.

Cheers

John

[quote name='Thornybank' post='136737' date='Feb 8 2008, 05:50 PM']£325 is fair.
Voiced for Celestions, and intended to go through a 4x12, so cab will have a big impact on tone/response.[/quote]

It's a 1985 one - in really good nick bar a few minor scuffs here and there. It's grill cloth has faded to brown. Lovely.

Bought it for £300. Played it through a Marshall 4x12 lead cab.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a smallish cab - maybe a 2x12 (I would like it to fit in my vw polo with the parcel shelf down) that's gonna do the trick?

Am strongly thinking of an [url="http://www.acmebass.com/"]acme low b2[/url]

john

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Jayfaedoom' post='138798' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:43 PM']what does the JCM800 head sound like? I am thinking of buying one.

I know the guitar amps are amazing and used by a lot of bands, wondering what the bass amp is like?[/quote]

Only heard it though a Marshall 4x12 Guitar cab which the fellow in the shop was concerned I was gonna blow so I'm very interested in what it's like myself :)

Sounds nice to me though. Old school 60s / 70s / 80s Rock. I got Butler / Harris / Lynott sort of sounds. Marshall say it's the best bass amp they've made - and Marshall made amps for Entwhistle, John Paul Jones etc so they can't be that bad :huh:

Full and warm with bite if you dig in. It's possible to change how they sound with modification by the Marshall service department and by changing the valve types.

I would like to hear it through a modern transparent full range cab - which is what I'm planning use for my rig anyway.

I'll maybe be giving it a work out in a rehearsal room tonight - probably through an old cobbled together 4x8 cab - so I won't be giving it the full welly or hearing exactly what it's got but I'll get more of an idea.

With a little "peavey" 4x8 - It was awesome - just awesome.

Got quite a loud drummer - in a small room with earplugs (obviously) Loads of headroom. Great.

Also a really BIG sound - big range deep with good strong mids - almost clean but thick. Love it. Really love it. Sounded quite different that it did though the Marshall 4x12.

For £300 - a bargain - exactly what I wanted.

[quote name='Tee' post='140360' date='Feb 14 2008, 02:48 PM']Well done John :huh:

Before i got my Orange, i was on the look out for a JCM800 or VB4H.[/quote]

Thanks! Josh was just telling me he's ordered a Cornell... I will have to come down and see annoy you lot again soon. :)

I bet your "Oranguilar" ;) sounds awesome.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='140443' date='Feb 14 2008, 04:34 PM']Righteous!

Alex[/quote]

Right on! :brow:

And thanks to all those who replied. & the PMs - invaluable info that made me do it!

Edited by bigjohn