Why become a member? ×

Sad Times....

chaypup

Westone.info was a great site for information about Westone's range of guitars and basses. Including pretty much all the catalogues and a section for spares.

I used to like going on there and just looking at the Thunder II's and III's as well as getting useful info. for years etc when I was buying.

Can't believe I'm saying WAS! :)

[quote name='chaypup' post='1190409' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:44 PM']Westone.info was a great site for information about Westone's range of guitars and basses. Including pretty much all the catalogues and a section for spares.

I used to like going on there and just looking at the Thunder II's and III's as well as getting useful info. for years etc when I was buying.

Can't believe I'm saying WAS! :)[/quote]

Had a Westone Thunder II as one of my first basses. It was a fretless. Loved it.

Still got pictures of it somewhere which I came across a few weeks ago. Should dig them out.

Sign of the times :-(

[quote name='chaypup' post='1190393' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:31 PM'].....Westone.info has shut down! :)[/quote]

If you go to the cached site you can download all the pages and images and keep them safe as a future reference.
Obviously, it'll no longer have people adding to it, but at least you can preserve a local copy for yourself.

Googles web cache has a limited timespan on it though, so you'll need to do it before it disappears completely.

Another way of grabbing a cache of it is to go to web.archive.org .

Usually would work but in this case looks like everything was pulled down and changed to a last page with final sale prices on which ran until yesterday. All cached images on the other pages are gone. Somebody with an interest in these basses should contact the guy - his details are on the cached page - and get the rest of the stuff before it's gets binned.

[quote name='el borracho' post='1191277' date='Apr 6 2011, 11:42 PM']Usually would work but in this case looks like everything was pulled down and changed to a last page with final sale prices on which ran until yesterday. All cached images on the other pages are gone. Somebody with an interest in these basses should contact the guy - his details are on the cached page - and get the rest of the stuff before it's gets binned.[/quote]

Yep.
There's a robots.txt file in the root of the folder and it's been set to prevent caching.

That's a major shame, coz it increases the risk that Westone may now drift into even greater obscurity among players who are too young to have been around in the brand's heyday.

By the way, just to correct a common misconception - yes; Westone were best known for their "budget" or "entry level" guitars and basses, but they also made some tasty mid to higher priced stuff too, such as the Thunder II or III. When I bought my Thunder III back in 1985, I could have had a USA Fender Jazz for about the same money - never regretted that decision! :)

But there is still a glimmer of hope - check out [b]forum.westoneguitars.net [/b]- maybe they can step in to help fill the gap?

KB

[quote name='Johnston' post='1190470' date='Apr 6 2011, 01:43 PM']But sure BC has the almighty fountain of knowledge himself.

The one and only Bassassin[/quote]
Thank you for the recognition - but the flaw inherent in that solution is that much of my massive, gushing fountain of hot & sticky but ultimately useless information is backed up by a library of links to websites such as Westone.info! :)

To be honest this seems incomprehensible and somewhat spiteful to me - even if he didn't want to continue maintaining the site, he could have left it up - or alternatively there are plenty of people with spare web space who could have hosted it. If I'd known I would've offered, I run a couple of other sites & the Westone one wasn't a physically big resource.

Bollocks. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1191471' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:16 AM']Thank you for the recognition - but the flaw inherent in that solution is that much of my massive, gushing fountain of hot & sticky but ultimately useless information is backed up by a library of links to websites such as Westone.info! :)

To be honest this seems incomprehensible and somewhat spiteful to me - even if he didn't want to continue maintaining the site, he could have left it up - or alternatively there are plenty of people with spare web space who could have hosted it. If I'd known I would've offered, I run a couple of other sites & the Westone one wasn't a physically big resource.

Jon.[/quote]
It might not be too late Jon, assuming that he still has the files backed up. Though I'd imagine that he wouldn't be amenable to the idea, given that he's just taken down the whole site without any warning.

Such a shame. :lol:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1191471' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:16 AM']Thank you for the recognition - but the flaw inherent in that solution is that much of my massive, gushing fountain of hot & sticky but ultimately useless information is backed up by a library of links to websites such as Westone.info! :)

Jon.[/quote]

Some of the guys at the Westone forums have conatcted him to see if they can do just that, it only seems fair when you think he received a lot of the catalogue scans from contribrutors on there in the first place!

Just found [url="http://www.bass-aholic.com/basses/W/westone/westone_catalogue_pages.htm"]this[/url] linked from the Westy forum. Should help ease the pain. :)

J.

Edit: [url="http://www.bass-aholic.com/basses2.php?instr=Basses&orderBy=By+Name"]The rest of that site ain't exactly going to help the GAS either![/url]

Edited by Bassassin

Bassassin - you may already know about this site but I just found it and, WOW it has a lot of gorgeous Matsumoku basses on there! [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php"]http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php[/url]

[quote name='chaypup' post='1193180' date='Apr 8 2011, 07:14 PM']Bassassin - you may already know about this site but I just found it and, WOW it has a lot of gorgeous Matsumoku basses on there! [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php"]http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php[/url][/quote]
It's a good site & forum, excellent catalogue archive too. You'll find one or two posts from me on the forum, I should think... :)

J.