Why become a member? ×

ACG Finn SC 6er

eude

Well, having sold on my ol' Shuker 6 string, I'm using the proceeds to help fund a new ACG!
The idea is to create a very compact, very easy playing and dang sexy 6 string bass with a nice range of sounds from modern to very traditional.

Here's the run down on the specs >>

6 string Skelf SC
Bolt-On Construction
33" Scale
16.5mm bridge spacing
52mm nut width

Body
Medium-weight Ash Body
Ziricote Top with Black Veneer
Wenge Back with Black Veneer

Neck
5 piece Wenge/Sycamore Neck (very slim bits of Sycamore to create a "pinstripe" effect)
Fretted Ebony fingerboard no radius
Ziricote Cap on the front of the headstock, Wenge Cap on the rear

Hardware
2 ACG SB Pickups (in yet to be determined locations, some research required me thinks)
East U Retro with Passive Tone
Black Hipshot Hardware
Through Body Stringing on B String
Single Battery Box

Here's a quick pic of the Ziricote

Will sort out pics of all the other bits once they're sorted.

Very very excited about all this

Eude

Edited by eude

That's going to be a lovely bass, Eude. By Classic, I take it you mean it'll have the standard lower horn as opposed to the Recurve shaped one which Alan also offers.

(See, just flexing my mighty ACG-ness knowledge there. Ahem...)

At least you're letting us in on the build with this one rather than just pulling it completly finished out of Alan's hat like you did with the Dirty Ash one. Good boy! :)

Ziricote's a good wood that's not often seen. I used to have a Warmoth with a Ziricote 'board. Bloody lovely it was too. Nice one, Eude.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='Scoop' post='1188810' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:44 AM']That's going to be a lovely bass, Eude. By Classic, I take it you mean it'll have the standard lower horn as opposed to the Recurve shaped one which Alan also offers.

(See, just flexing my mighty ACG-ness knowledge there. Ahem...)

At least you're letting us in on the build with this one rather than just pulling it completly finished out of Alan's hat like you did with the Dirty Ash one. Good boy! :)

Ziricote's a good wood that's not often seen. I used to have a Warmoth with a Ziricote 'board. Bloody lovely it was too. Nice one, Eude.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought I should be a little less selfish with this one :)
I love reading other folks build threads, I thought I'd better share mine.

Glad you like the Ziricote, as you know I was considering Ebony, but the choice of Ebonies (spelling?) was baffling and I kept coming back to a Ziricote topped Elrick that just looks incredible, so I badgered Alan into getting hold of some. Not easy to do as it turned out, but the piece he managed to get is incredible, exactly what I had in my mind!
Apparently Ziricote is commonly reffed to as Mexican Ebony...

Eude

[quote name='mike_zimmerman' post='1189371' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:50 PM']Should be a stunner, Eude! That's quite a lovely bit of ziricote for the top, and it should look great combined with the ash and wenge.[/quote]

Thanks Mike!
I'm so very very excited about this bass, just wish I could go to sleep for several months and wake up to a finished bass!

Eude

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1189454' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:42 PM']That Zircote is just gonna pop when it's got a finish on it!!

Interesting build....I'll be watching....

D.[/quote]

Cheers matey :)

Your bass, and Scoops "Lazarus" have both been a huge source of inspiration for this build.
I very nearly almost went with an ebony top, but the wenge back, I hope, will be very similar to yours, albeit the other way round :)

Eude

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1189902' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:24 PM']You mean on the front...?? :)

D.[/quote]

No, sorry getting confused because your bass is a lefty...
I'm hoping the Wenge back on my bass ends up as nice as the one on yours, but a right handed version :)

Eude

• 2 months later...

Quick update...
I've changed my mind about the shape.
It's been no secret how much I love Scoop's Skelf SC, so I decided that I'll go with the same shape.
This bass will now officially be known as "Lazarus, Son of Lazarus".

So may bass will hopefully look a bit like this >>

But a little shorter, wider, with 1 extra string, and with slightly different woods...

Cheers,
Eude

(Scoop gets a bit Highlander)

"There can be only one..."

Um, Lazarus was the son of Boetius (sp?) but I dunno if he had a son himself. His sisters were Miriam and Martha so you can use those if you like. Martha's a nice name for a bass. I'm waffling aren't I?

Nice specs by the way, Eude. I claim noodling rights at the next Moffat bash. :)

[quote name='Scoop' post='1264024' date='Jun 10 2011, 03:27 PM'](Scoop gets a bit Highlander)

"There can be only one..."

Um, Lazarus was the son of Boetius (sp?) but I dunno if he had a son himself. His sisters were Miriam and Martha so you can use those if you like. Martha's a nice name for a bass. I'm waffling aren't I?

Nice specs by the way, Eude. I claim noodling rights at the next Moffat bash. :)[/quote]

We can decide on a name once the bass appears, however, "Martha, son of Lazarus" does have a nice ring to it, albeit in a "Boy named Sue" kinda way.
You're free to claim noodling rights mate, I've certainly spent a lot of time on your basses :)

Eude

Also Scoop,
you got any feedback on the 2 SB pickups in your Tefano now you've had it for a while?
I looking for a big, aggressive, authoritative voice from this bass, reckon the SBs will fit the bill?...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1264114' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:38 PM']Also Scoop,
you got any feedback on the 2 SB pickups in your Tefano now you've had it for a while?
I looking for a big, aggressive, authoritative voice from this bass, reckon the SBs will fit the bill?...

Eude[/quote]

I'll reply to this elsewhere, Eude, and probably after tomorrow night as the Tefano will get it's first "proper" outing in a band situation at full whack. I suspect they're everything you're looking for but you can never really tell til you've heard them sit in a mix, I think.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='Scoop' post='1265097' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:51 PM']I'll reply to this elsewhere, Eude, and probably after tomorrow night as the Tefano will get it's first "proper" outing in a band situation at full whack. I suspect they're everything you're looking for but you can never really tell til you've heard them sit in a mix, I think.[/quote]

Scoop, you're a star, looking forward to hearing all about it! :)

Eude

[quote name='Scoop' post='1265097' date='Jun 11 2011, 04:51 PM']I'll reply to this elsewhere, Eude, and probably after tomorrow night as the Tefano will get it's first "proper" outing in a band situation at full whack. I suspect they're everything you're looking for but you can never really tell til you've heard them sit in a mix, I think.[/quote]

Any SB based news messer Scoop?

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1270166' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:38 PM']Any SB based news messer Scoop?

Eude[/quote]

Yup. Fuller than I expected, not at all reedy or thin which I think many single coils can be, and not that different in truth to the ACG soapbars fitted to Lazarus and Scribble. Sat in the mix really nicely and cut through big time when I needed to assert myself and "dig in" for the odd passage. There was real authority in the tone then.

I don't usually go for either the big aggressive or the burpy/slappy sounds myself [I'm after an altogether smoother & , I guess, more traditional tone] so didn't try to get into that territory but I suspect that they'd "do" your sound very well coupled with an ACG preamp. Don't think you'd be disappointed.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='Scoop' post='1271279' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:02 PM']Yup. Fuller than I expected, not at all reedy or thin which I think many single coils can be, and not that different in truth to the ACG soapbars fitted to Lazarus and Scribble.

I don't go for the burpy sound myself so didn't try to get into that territory but I suspect that they'd "do" that sound very well coupled with an ACG preamp. Don't think you'd be disappointed.[/quote]

Excellent dude, the main thing I want from them is to be aggressive sounding, a little bit like a Jazz bass but hopefully fuller, with more authority and a good gob of mid-range.
I'm pairing them with a U-Retro, as I want something a little simpler to use and the option to switch to passive mode if and when it hits the fan, or for certain recording purposes will be very very useful.

Eude

[quote name='skelf' post='1271365' date='Jun 16 2011, 01:00 PM']The FB soapbars are voiced along the lines of Jazz type pickup so there is a similarity between the two. The single coils to me have a more aggressive top end on them and a slightly different bottom end.[/quote]

Thanks for chiming in Alan, SBs it is then :)

Eude

• 3 weeks later...