Why become a member? ×

String recommendations?

TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1188456' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:39 PM']Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a good, bright set of roundwounds that last well (and don't cost too much!)?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.[/quote]

D'Addario XLs. Not the cheapest, but you really can't go wrong. Ernie Ball Slinkys are remarkably similar too...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='1188467' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:47 PM']D'Addario XLs. Not the cheapest, but you really can't go wrong. Ernie Ball Slinkys are remarkably similar too...[/quote]

I've used D'addario's probably more than anything and they've always been good, but I've just had a bit of a duff set. I suppose whatever brand you use there's always gonna be the possibility of a dodgy set. It is the first time I can remember having a bad set of D'addarios in the last 16 years!

Have you ever used the Prosteels? It looks like they're brighter but I've never tried them.

I bought a set of Fender 7250ML strings the other day and they were very good straight out of the pack. They're not expensive either -you can find them for around £13. My usual brand is DR Hi - Beams which are £28 and they compare well as far as sound goes.

I`ve found that Rotosounds can last quite well, if you Fastfret them regularly. They do lose the initial zingyness after abt two weeks, but with regular Fastfretting, don`t go completely dead for a fair while. The set on my live use bass have been on since Aug last year, and up until the end of Jan, the bass was used at least once a week for 3 hours, either at rehearsals, or gigs. Still some twang in them.

You'll get plenty of opnions and you either luck out and find a brand that works or you might have to do the hard slog and go through a good few sets. I have done that over the past year and am now back of DR's.
I've used DR's for years but got a new bass with strings on that I quite liked so I thought I'd try out a few.

D'addario XL pro steel are ok..and I like the Taper B
La Bella Super steps..again tapered.
La Bella ..something Rocking...ok
Elites were ok and cheap
DR long necks
Ken Smith..have these to put on

I like a taper on the B string so that governs my choice but after all this past years work, I am back to DR and might try Newtone is I can find what I want.

DR's feel better for me in tension and tone..but for 2 weeks of use..or a tad longer, all the above will work for me.
I clean them up and use them over and over so haven't felt the need to bin any set yet...if I really don't like them, they come off pretty quickly though.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='burray' post='1188762' date='Apr 5 2011, 11:11 AM']Am I the only person here that uses DR strings? Coated like Elixers. They're bloody expensive but last longer and come in pretty colours, haha.[/quote]

Superb strings,but not in the cheap category! The Hex core makes a big difference,at least to my ears. DR's on stage,Daddario's everywhere else.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1188474' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:58 PM']Have you ever used the Prosteels? It looks like they're brighter but I've never tried them.[/quote]

I use ProSteels and really like them - they are indeed brighter than the nickel plated sets, and to my ears they seem to keep their new-sounding 'zing' longer than Rotosound plain steels (the other brand I use) but the downside is that when they do start to go dead they suddenly sound pretty bad, whereas the Rotosounds just become gradually less articulate.

That's just in my experience, though.. if you don't play fairly speedy melodic metal on a p-bass using a pick about the thickness of an old 50p coin, I guess your mileage could vary considerably :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='1231601' date='May 15 2011, 07:38 AM']Its all about Elixirs for me. More expensive but most strings last me two weeks, These guys generally last closer to two years! :)[/quote]

Go with Elixirs, they are more expensive but last longer than others brands...I don't even remember when I change them on my basses!

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1188551' date='Apr 5 2011, 12:31 AM']Without the shadow of a doubt, for regular (parallel that is) fretted basses I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinky[/quote]

+1000000 What he said! ..... wait..... that was me! Talk about thread resurrection! lol