Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

They say they are using B&O modules, if anyone is curious these are probably the modules they're using:

[url="http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/"]I.C.E. Power[/url]

They really are fantastic modules, I'm not surprised at all if they're the ones Ashdown have chosen.

I was under the impression that the Ashdown stuff (amps at least) is designed by Clive Button the bloke who did quite a lot of the old Trace Stuff. If that's so, here's an idea. Revamp the old Trace Elliot MP11 preamp (sort of like the superfly with an 11 band graphic eq and midi footswitchable with channel memory) and pile in a proper digital power stage so say 500- 800W and valve gain. There. You have one of the most flexible amps you'll ever own.

Loads of EQ options, stupidly lightweight and lots of shiny lights and buttons to appease people like me who like that sort of thing. I'd pay for that.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1269989' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:00 PM']I was under the impression that the Ashdown stuff (amps at least) is designed by Clive Button the bloke who did quite a lot of the old Trace Stuff. If that's so, here's an idea. Revamp the old Trace Elliot MP11 preamp (sort of like the superfly with an 11 band graphic eq and midi footswitchable with channel memory) and pile in a proper digital power stage so say 500- 800W and valve gain. There. You have one of the most flexible amps you'll ever own.

Loads of EQ options, stupidly lightweight and lots of shiny lights and buttons to appease people like me who like that sort of thing. I'd pay for that.[/quote]
Good idea! Clive didn't do the MIDI part, that was done by John Price, a chap with a company called Kenton Electronics. I was talking to him about it the other day in fact. Shall I get him to contact Ashdown? :)

[quote name='Merton' post='1269995' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:03 PM']Good idea! Clive didn't do the MIDI part, that was done by John Price, a chap with a company called Kenton Electronics. I was talking to him about it the other day in fact. Shall I get him to contact Ashdown? :)[/quote]

Thanks!! Tell them I expect a reduced rate!! :)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' post='1197499' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:35 PM']Hey Eude,

In answer to your questions;

1. No switching simply that in the way the power section works there isn't a noticable drop in power from 4 ohms to 8 ohms(it confused us at first too)
This will be great for anyone wanting to use a single 8 ohm cab.

2. We are actually throwing around a couple of ideas at the moment involving the all valve preamp from the 427 Smallblock head so will keep you posted ;-)

Hope this helps![/quote]

I'm really looking forward to the Mibass and seeing what this badboy can deliver... I thought the youtube footage did it justice.... it did sound really warm!!! The all valve pre amp idea sounds fantastic and a real contender to the Orange Terror bass which IMO is fantastic.... Are there going to be any cabs for the Mibass range???

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1269989' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:00 PM']I was under the impression that the Ashdown stuff (amps at least) is designed by Clive Button the bloke who did quite a lot of the old Trace Stuff. If that's so, here's an idea. Revamp the old Trace Elliot MP11 preamp (sort of like the superfly with an 11 band graphic eq and midi footswitchable with channel memory) and pile in a proper digital power stage so say 500- 800W and valve gain. There. You have one of the most flexible amps you'll ever own.

Loads of EQ options, stupidly lightweight and lots of shiny lights and buttons to appease people like me who like that sort of thing. I'd pay for that.[/quote]

That's a great idea! I loved my MP11, shame i never got it back from a repair shop...

• 3 months later...

I have tried a [color="#ff0000"]MiBass[/color] amp today, It was the 200w version (there's also a 550 due soon). I'm pleased to say this amp was worth the wait.

Looks great, solid build, very light and compact. The EQ seems different from the normal Ashdown one, as it's more interactive. Punchy sound with lots of clarity, and good headroom, despite the lower wattage. Headphone socket fitted, so great as a practice amp, too.

I would definitely go and try one.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1317132988' post='1387144']

Fair point... :)[/quote]

Happily build you a totally made in England MiBass but doubt on the whole people would want to pay the price difference, sadly that's what we are up against these days and to be honest after working with our china factory for 10 years now the quality of our Chinese made products is so good would you want to pay a large premium simply to have made in England on it? If you do want to buy British we still make plenty of high end totally made in Essex products and offer a total custom shop service too...

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1317141831' post='1387304']

Happily build you a totally made in England MiBass but doubt on the whole people would want to pay the price difference, sadly that's what we are up against these days and to be honest after working with our china factory for 10 years now the quality of our Chinese made products is so good would you want to pay a large premium simply to have made in England on it? If you do want to buy British we still make plenty of high end totally made in Essex products and offer a total custom shop service too...
[/quote]

A different factory to the one that built the Superfly and the LG, then?

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply mate.
I know it's hard to find any "affordable" UK made gear these days, as it happens though, Ashdown being a British company is British enough to be considered "Buying British" in my book.
Everything bar the manufacturing is British :)

Eude

Of course, if Ashdown want to build in China that's their business. And if you want to buy Chinese-made products, that's your business too - often you don't have an option. But don't think you're Buying British when you buy a Chinese-made amp. You're not. The concept of Buy British is about helping to create and retain jobs in the UK, not exporting them (and your technological know-how) to Asia.

[/quote]

Sorry to go o/t but the last few brand new ABM Evo III's I've seen in stores have said 'manufactured in England'. I was quite surprised at this as I thought it was now common knowledge that ABM production had been shifted to the far east. Has there been a rethink regarding ABM?

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1317382044' post='1390096']
The concept of Buy British is about helping to create and retain jobs in the UK, not exporting them (and your technological know-how) to Asia.
[/quote]

They're a British company paying tax in the UK. If the company is more profitable by moving manufacturing to China then they're paying more tax back into our economy at home.

• 2 weeks later...

So....anyone care to guess what my new amp is?

I tried out the MiBass 550 this afternoon,and promptly purchased it.
Quality wise it's totally solid. The controls are smooth and it doesn't look or feel
as cheap as the Little Giant....it's up there with my Genz (maybe slightly better?).
Sound-wise,it's brilliant.It has a great,clean flat tone and the EQ has great range. It can go
from a super bassy and fat sound to a modern hi-fi,full range tone. It also doesn't have the
hiss in the top end that I found in the TC heads.
I can honestly say that I think this head is a serious contender in the small heads market.I
preferred the sound of the MiBass over the TC and even the Little Mark. I find it similar to
my Genz Benz in some ways,but possibly with greater EQ range.

Ashdown have really got it right with the MiBass.....I'd recommend anyone to check it out,
especially all the non Ashdown fans-it may just change your mind. It did mine.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1318611437' post='1404405']So....anyone care to guess what my new amp is?

I tried out the MiBass 550 this afternoon,and promptly purchased it.
Quality wise it's totally solid. The controls are smooth and it doesn't look or feel
as cheap as the Little Giant....it's up there with my Genz (maybe slightly better?).
Sound-wise,it's brilliant.It has a great,clean flat tone and the EQ has great range. It can go
from a super bassy and fat sound to a modern hi-fi,full range tone. It also doesn't have the
hiss in the top end that I found in the TC heads.
I can honestly say that I think this head is a serious contender in the small heads market.I
preferred the sound of the MiBass over the TC and even the Little Mark. I find it similar to
my Genz Benz in some ways,but possibly with greater EQ range.

Ashdown have really got it right with the MiBass.....I'd recommend anyone to check it out,
especially all the non Ashdown fans-it may just change your mind. It did mine.[/quote]

Good GAS! Will have to check one of these out ASAP, nice to hear we have a new Ashdown convert ;-)