Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1185428' date='Apr 1 2011, 11:27 PM']Here, I was having some trouble seeing the details in the pics, so I downloaded bigger ones, thought some of ya'll might want a closer look.[/quote]

Cheers for that.

I just noticed the reference to the "7 band semi parametric EQ". Don't the people who write this stuff actually look at the pictures of what they're describing, or is that they just don't know what a 7 band semi parametric EQ looks like? :)

Actually I think the same description was given on the LG as well.

[quote name='Musky' post='1185459' date='Apr 2 2011, 12:47 AM']Cheers for that.

I just noticed the reference to the "7 band semi parametric EQ". Don't the people who write this stuff actually look at the pictures of what they're describing, or is that they just don't know what a 7 band semi parametric EQ looks like? :)

Actually I think the same description was given on the LG as well.[/quote]

No problem dude!

That's the main reason I wanted a closer look, I saw that "7 band semi-para" refrence, and couldn't figure out where half the dials had gone, hahahah! :)

I ownder whether they use focus groups or ask informed gigging bass players what they want?

It looks like it has the typical useless Ashdown 'deep' switch and the eq looks confusing and clunky. I'm sure more people would prefer a compressor/limiter built in, perhaps even a knob to add sansamp-style valve-sounding grind and maybe something [s]ripping off[/s] inspired by the MarkBass magic EQ knobs - the VPL & the STD or whatever they're called.

I can't get my head around the point of the custom control panel - is it like apple engraving iPods to prevent people returning them if they change their mind after hearing it :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1187193' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:31 PM']I can't get my head around the point of the custom control panel - is it like apple engraving iPods to prevent people returning them if they change their mind after hearing it :)[/quote]
It's more evidence to suggest that Ashdown's marketing people are completely out-of-touch.

[quote name='Musky' post='1185459' date='Apr 2 2011, 12:47 AM']I just noticed the reference to the "7 band semi parametric EQ". Don't the people who write this stuff actually look at the pictures of what they're describing, or is that they just don't know what a 7 band semi parametric EQ looks like? :)

Actually I think the same description was given on the LG as well.[/quote]
Indeed, it was wrong for the LG and it's wrong now...

Ah well. These things are about the same size as the GK MB200, yet pack in more power (in the 550W silver guise at least). I wonder if they'll sound as good...

I've got a lot of time for Ashdown but they really should poach the TC Electronics marketing team, who are streets ahead of anyone else in the business at the moment. From what I can see, their main selling points are price and a custom front panel. They've got an uphill struggle now, even though they were one of the very first in the race.
They're not going to get another chance at this niche market sector. I really hope they've done their homework. The comments on here so far indicate that they haven't.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1193904' date='Apr 9 2011, 05:02 PM']They are definitely basing this product at the yoof market.[/quote]

Looks very tacky if you ask me. Does the 'yoof' at the moment have the sort of dosh burning holes in their pockets to get one of these?

[quote name='eude' post='1193803' date='Apr 9 2011, 02:34 PM']Little bit more info >> [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_mNY56Hsc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_mNY56Hsc...feature=related[/url]

Eude[/quote]
Love the way he introduces the amp with exactly the same words Ashdown use on their flyers, and used for the Superfly, and the LGs.... :)

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1184693' date='Apr 1 2011, 01:39 PM']Hmm, so mostly heresay then. As i said Ive never had any issues with my Ashdown gear over the past 10 years and
I always make my opinions based on my own experience as ive learnt over the years that people are always more vocal about when an amp goes wrong than when an amp performs well and as for Ashdown not being a premium brand?? Just have a look at their artist list, would those bands and bass players use a
second rate brand? Dont want to start an argument but it just irritates me when people start slagging Ashdown off based mainly on things theyve heard, they are an independent English company and whilst I am sure not everything they have ever made has been perfect they do a damn good job in my opinion and more importantly whenever I have contacted them for help they have always answered my questions quickly and you can tell they care... In a world of faceless number crunching corporations we should be proud of Ashdown and people should actually try their current stuff out before jumping on any bandwagon[/quote]

In 2002 I had an ABM EVO 300 and matching cabs and used to say if it's good enouh for Macca it's good enough for me. It was top drawer stuff at the time but looking back it never sounded that great and became unreliable with an intermittent fault, Ashdown customer service at the time were not interested in any kind of repair/service (2009) since getting the shuttle and the awesome neox 2x12t cab my playing has improved due to the clarity and definition available, That's not me dissing Ashdown if you like the wooly bottom sound that's up to you but it would have to be great if not spectacular to draw me away from Genz who with things like my Shuttle 6.0 and now the Streamliner 9.0 etc Ashdown have a hill to climb IMO as many bass players can see (and hear) beyond the endorsement list.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

More video of the new head >> [url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/musikmesse-2011-ashdown-mibass-amp-head-video-demo-420035"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/mus...deo-demo-420035[/url]

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1195645' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:02 PM']More video of the new head >> [url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/musikmesse-2011-ashdown-mibass-amp-head-video-demo-420035"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/mus...deo-demo-420035[/url]

Eude[/quote]
Just had a watch of this... the opening salvo? You can change the front panel!

Also, to paraphrase part of it: 'This has a warmth that isn't really familiar to other class D amps.... amplifiers like this normally have one trick.... we've tried to make this more versatile than others...'

They've got their heads in the sand.