Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass

eude

[url="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150448535510394&oid=29324345560&comments"]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...60&comments[/url]
You don't need a facebook account to see it.

What are they up to...?

Discuss.

Eude

From what I've read, it's going to be substantially smaller and lighter than the LittleGiants, no word on power though.
Should be on the Ashdown site soon and will be launched at Musikmesse, very very soon...

Thing is, I'd love to like Ashdown gear, but in my experience, either the quality control has gone wanting, or if it does work, it just doesn't sound great.
Having said that, they really seem to have pulled their socks up recently, all the valve stuff they've recently released is apparently brilliant!

If they can manage to bring out something that can seriously keep up with the new Genz Benz, Mark Bass or Gallien Krueger offerings, I'd be happy to buy British :)

Eude

hmmm, something similar to the GK MB200 perhaps? :)

I like the Ashdown Mag and ABM stuff and the Little bastard, but they've lost me on the whole micro front since the superfly and LG series and I never experienced suitable support from them. :)

Therefore I'm sceptical unfortunately, but it'll be interesting when it comes to fruition and hits the stores though, it always is.

This is far too pre-empted, but I dont feel the initial sales video oozes any sort of quality......maybe my preconceptions influencing things too much though!

I'll stick with my Orange and Genz thanks, not goign to have my head turned by ashdown on this end of the market in the near future, but hope to be proved wrong of course!

[quote name='eude' post='1183573' date='Mar 31 2011, 05:13 PM']From what I've read, it's going to be substantially smaller and lighter than the LittleGiants, no word on power though.
Should be on the Ashdown site soon and will be launched at Musikmesse, very very soon...

Thing is, I'd love to like Ashdown gear, but in my experience, either the quality control has gone wanting, or if it does work, it just doesn't sound great.
Having said that, they really seem to have pulled their socks up recently, all the valve stuff they've recently released is apparently brilliant!

If they can manage to bring out something that can seriously keep up with the new Genz Benz, Mark Bass or Gallien Krueger offerings, I'd be happy to buy British :)

Eude[/quote]

I see the mention of using a B&O power amp section - which I think is being used in other lightweight amps. Genz & MarkBass??

[quote name='eude' post='1183365' date='Mar 31 2011, 02:30 PM'][url="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150448535510394&oid=29324345560&comments"]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...60&comments[/url]
You don't need a facebook account to see it.

What are they up to...?

Discuss.

Eude[/quote]

I think possibility its a microhead almost pedal size, kind of LG preamp thing, based on Amplifier on a chip technology 150-200 watts possibily.... ha ha just rumour I have heard he he. If they have based it on the chip I think they have, it should be pretty good, as the sound quality is great, same tech that is used in roberts dab radios which have excellent sound quality maybe

[quote name='dan670844' post='1183750' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:28 PM']I think possibility its a microhead almost pedal size, kind of LG preamp thing, based on Amplifier on a chip technology 150-200 watts possibily.... ha ha just rumour I have heard he he. If they have based it on the chip I think they have, it should be pretty good, as the sound quality is great, same tech that is used in roberts dab radios which have excellent sound quality maybe[/quote]

just hope it doesnt overheat haha ha!!!

This is Ashdown's serious entry into the digital amp and portable cab market.

The Superflys were one of the first digital amps on the market ( I used one for five years), but these new new ones boast a Bang and Olufsen-designed power section. The pre-amp is the tried and tested Ashdown one.

It looks to be a winner all round. :)

This just in!

EDIT - Found another image...

I hope Ashdown don't mind me using they're image(s).

Looks pretty cool though! :)
If it holds up against the competition, colour me very very interested!

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1184552' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:20 PM']I can't take Ashdown seriously any more... they used to be one of the hard-hitters, now they just seem like lightweights. And not in a good way.

For their sakes, I hope this is great.[/quote]

Their recent new line of amps is apparently cutting the mustard.
I think they must've ironed out the quality control issues they were clearly having.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on new gear, at least for now...

Eude

Of course their new smaler, lighter, compact and portable gear is welcome by all, but I hope they are going to couple these amps with some like minded cabs in the way that Phil Jones, TC Electronic and other companies are offering otherwise where would be the final scope of making things small and portable when you still need to lug around cabs bigger than your average car boot.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1184552' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:20 PM']I can't take Ashdown seriously any more... they used to be one of the hard-hitters, now they just seem like lightweights. And not in a good way.

For their sakes, I hope this is great.[/quote]

Are you basing this on your own experience? Ive used Ashdown products for years and never had any issues. Think the MiBass looks very cool

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1184573' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:28 PM']Of course their new smaler, lighter, compact and portable gear is welcome by all, but I hope they are going to couple these amps with some like minded cabs in the way that Phil Jones, TC Electronic and other companies are offering otherwise where would be the final scope of making things small and portable when you still need to lug around cabs bigger than your average car boot.[/quote]

+1

The thread I read on Facebook, where this info has come from, Ashdown aren't sure that the weight saving of NEO speakers is worth the extra cost.
There's still a lot that can be done by clever design and specification of the cabs though.
My little Ibanez Promethean 1X10 combo has been a real eye opener in what can be done with a bit of thought.

I just hope Ashdown can come out with something that compact, modular and affordable to go with the head...

Eude

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1184588' date='Apr 1 2011, 11:35 AM']Are you basing this on your own experience? Ive used Ashdown products for years and never had any issues. Think the MiBass looks very cool[/quote]
Partly... mostly others.

years ago, I used an Electric Blue combo which I had no problems with.

Then came the small combos (After 8, 12 & 15) were (IME) junk.

The Superfly was a disaster (based on others' experience)

Very few people have anything good to say about the Little Giant.

They used to be a premium brand.. the Aguilar, Genz, TC, Mesa, Markbass etc. of their time. Now? Nowhere near.

I'm hoping they have dealt with the superfly and LG reliability issues because I do like Ashdown's other amps and a mini amp like this (that you can depend on) would be exactly what I need but all the stories of superflys and LGs overheating and cutting out put me off ever buying one which is sad because, as far a reliability is concerned, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my amp. We only hear about unreliable ashdowns but never the ones that give years of reliable service. - I have a small Ashdown EB 15 combo (which I bought for £150 secondhand) which I use for smaller gigs and it is absolutely BOMBPROOF! It has been subject to 6 years of abuse, thrown down stairs, left in boots of cars in sub zero temps for weeks, got soaked in water, turned up to 11, used and abused and played for hours on end..........and it just keeps on going. It is one of the early ones made in the UK and it's totally indestructable.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1184602' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:39 PM']Partly... mostly others.

They used to be a premium brand.. the Aguilar, Genz, TC, Mesa, Markbass etc. of their time. Now? Nowhere near.[/quote]

Hmm, so mostly heresay then. As i said Ive never had any issues with my Ashdown gear over the past 10 years and
I always make my opinions based on my own experience as ive learnt over the years that people are always more vocal about when an amp goes wrong than when an amp performs well and as for Ashdown not being a premium brand?? Just have a look at their artist list, would those bands and bass players use a
second rate brand? Dont want to start an argument but it just irritates me when people start slagging Ashdown off based mainly on things theyve heard, they are an independent English company and whilst I am sure not everything they have ever made has been perfect they do a damn good job in my opinion and more importantly whenever I have contacted them for help they have always answered my questions quickly and you can tell they care... In a world of faceless number crunching corporations we should be proud of Ashdown and people should actually try their current stuff out before jumping on any bandwagon

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1184693' date='Apr 1 2011, 01:39 PM']Hmm, so mostly heresay then. As i said Ive never had any issues with my Ashdown gear over the past 10 years and
I always make my opinions based on my own experience as ive learnt over the years that people are always more vocal about when an amp goes wrong than when an amp performs well and as for Ashdown not being a premium brand?? Just have a look at their artist list, would those bands and bass players use a
second rate brand? Dont want to start an argument but it just irritates me when people start slagging Ashdown off based mainly on things theyve heard, they are an independent English company and whilst I am sure not everything they have ever made has been perfect they do a damn good job in my opinion and more importantly whenever I have contacted them for help they have always answered my questions quickly and you can tell they care... In a world of faceless number crunching corporations we should be proud of Ashdown and people should actually try their current stuff out before jumping on any bandwagon[/quote]
I can only refer you back to my previous post.

IMO, Ashdown have an image problem at the moment... and I wish they didn't. I want them to be up there with the heavy hitters, because they're British.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1184602' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:39 PM']Partly... mostly others.

They used to be a premium brand.. the Aguilar, Genz, TC, Mesa, Markbass etc. of their time. Now? Nowhere near.[/quote]

I entirely agree but....

I would give em the benefit of the doubt now, they started out mustard, their early stuff is great and most of it is still around, which speaks vols of their quality back then. then they tried to go the volume route, bit of a disaster, now they are back doing what they do best making premium quality gear, their new valve range is great, I don't mind paying a bit for good kit, which is what it is, and no I won't buy a chinese made little bastard!!! but thats me. i am like that with cars too! I just hope this mi, fits their original business model and is not made from cheap ar£se bits. No one wants a bass amp that only lasts a year and has f00k all resale value, its false economy, I learnt the hard way ha ha !!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1184602' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:39 PM']Very few people have anything good to say about the Little Giant.[/quote]

I'm one of them then. LG 1k, gigged hard for over a year now. No issues, love the sound too. Cheap too (£250 or so IIRC).