Why become a member? ×

How many of you own only one bass?

Lozz196

In the late 80s, to early 90s, I must have done 1000+ gigs, and in that time had only one bass, due to both lack of funds, and the thought of a backup never entering my mind - and luckily, I never needed one.

So, following on from that, and the recent backup threads, I`m interested to find out how many of us Basschatters only own one bass.

I did a poll on this as I too was intrigued, Lozz. Turns out that only 7% of BC'ers own one bass, apparently. Most own 2-4 basses

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100416&hl=Clarky+how+many+basses"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...how+many+basses[/url]

If you accept that I wheel and deal a little, and often end up with a bass or two as a stepping stone to making a few miserable groats where I can, I come very close to qualifying. I have my trusty BB414, somewhat distressed but ultimately the one for me at this point. I have a Dean as a spare, but it sounds terrible and last time I looked it qualified as "retired, knackered". Were it not for some amazing memories attached to it, I'd probably have tarted it up a bit and sold it by now. I have a P-Bass Special too, and it's pretty cool, but I can't see keeping it. I swapped it for a guitar I'd had out on commission sale for a year with no joy, thinking to shift the odds a bit.

I'd be perfectly content to just have the BB. Ridiculously, I've yet to find anything that suits me better - and I've looked for ages with a reasonable budget. So if I can claim the P-Bass as moving stock and the Dean as retired, I'm pretty much a one-basser at the moment.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1180088' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']owned 11 at one point..why i dont know...i only own one bass now.. unless your a pro,or in more than one band, i really cant see the point of owning more than one good bass..[/quote]
4 string, 5 string, fretless, fretted, maple board, rosewood board, 2EQ, 3EQ Thats the just the Stingrays then the same in Jazzes and P's etc etc etc........:)

I've got 4 at the moment, although my 5 string very rarely gets played at the moment. I guess I'm generally a straight-up 4 string rock player for the most part, but I bought the 5 last year when I was playing with a funk/soul band. Hoping to get some gigs with the local soul choir this year, so I'll probably hang onto it for now.

My problem is that I think I'm addicted to buying gear. I buy a new bass and either sell it later because it's not as good as what I've already got, or it ends up being my favourite and my others don't seem as good! Then I have to upgrade one of the others to try and make it as good, or end up selling it to buy something else, and then the cycle starts all over again!

If I wasn't so poor I'd probably have loads!

That said, I have always been fairly practical and usually if something's not getting used, I'll sell it and buy something that will (the 5 string may yet go that way to buy another Sandberg!).

Maybe someone should set up a rehabilitation scheme for bass addicts!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1180195' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:30 PM']I've got 4 at the moment, although my 5 string very rarely gets played at the moment. I guess I'm generally a straight-up 4 string rock player for the most part, but I bought the 5 last year when I was playing with a funk/soul band. Hoping to get some gigs with the local soul choir this year, so I'll probably hang onto it for now.

My problem is that I think I'm addicted to buying gear. I buy a new bass and either sell it later because it's not as good as what I've already got, or it ends up being my favourite and my others don't seem as good! Then I have to upgrade one of the others to try and make it as good, or end up selling it to buy something else, and then the cycle starts all over again!

If I wasn't so poor I'd probably have loads!

That said, I have always been fairly practical and usually if something's not getting used, I'll sell it and buy something that will (the 5 string may yet go that way to buy another Sandberg!).

Maybe someone should set up a rehabilitation scheme for bass addicts![/quote]

As it happens, I run a GAS rehab clinic. Just send all your basses to me and cure you for free. :)

My only bass is my Ibby SR405 that I was given as a birthday present 9 years ago. I enjoy playing my bass, that is the most important part of it for me. The neck fits my tiny hands, the action is absolutely perfect and the tone, although passive, can fit my style. I like to see how far I can push things with the kit I've got, I like the thrill of having the most beat-up, crap instrument and that gives me the desire to push myself. If I ever bought a Ibby Prestige model or a Spector euro, etc it would not change a thing for me (Other than fear of looking at my bank account :) ) Would my tone be better? Not to any great, noticeable difference (I'm still running through crap amps and cabs lol). Would my playing ability increase? Nope. Would anybody else actually care or notice? Probably not.

I like to browse photography forums and I alway notice that my favourite photographers on the forums don't spend their days in the 'Equipment' or "For Sale" sections, they always post their work in the photoblogs/sharing sections of the forums. I always found this as an inspiration to just forget about all the crap involved and just go for it (...I still suck, but hey lol).

Oh and i'm completely and utterly broke, so this could also explain my feelings.

When I go on my "I love cheap stuff" rants, it always comes across as if i'm dissing those who buy loads of basses or buy expensive basses. I really don't mean it in that way at all. We're all just doing different things trying to achieve the same outcome :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1180088' date='Mar 28 2011, 09:30 PM']owned 11 at one point..why i dont know...i only own one bass now.. unless your a pro,or in more than one band, i really cant see the point of owning more than one good bass..[/quote]

Unless you like them?

There's only been two points in my life where I've owned a single bass.

1. Before I started gigging a lot

2. When I took 8 years off from playing bass and concentrated on synths (and a bit of guitar) instead.

Since then my collection has been growing steadily as I've only ever sold 3 basses.

Edited by BigRedX

• 2 weeks later...