Why become a member? ×

Free Youtube bass lessons For beginners

Davemarks

Hey all,

I've started posting a new series of video lessons which goes through basslines from well known songs that are simple but musical and very effective.

The first one is 'With Or Without You', by U2.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz4rXrARGc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz4rXrARGc[/url]

It's ideal for anyone who's just picked up the bass and is also a great exercise for anyone starting to develop their technique with a plectrum.

Students - feel free to work from it and teachers, feel free to use it to help your students.

More comng soon include Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana), Walking On The Moon (The Police) and Peaches (The Stranglers).

Feel free to post more suggestions,

Dave

Dave many thanks for this.

I am a beginner and found a few clips that were really useful for me on youtube. Especially one on scales, I watched it twice and I could remember the 3 scales he was showing straight off.

Will give this a spin later mate.

Hi Dave

I watched the lesson on With or Without You which makes the whole thing simple.

I would go from D (A string 5 fret) to A ( E String 5 fret) to B (A string 2 fret) to G (E string 3 Fret) and maintain the box pattern. Do you have any preference on the way this is done?. The tutor book prefers playing "close together" to avoid jumping all over the neck.

Steve

Perhaps I should post a comment under the video - I have mentioned this in the pdf download...

On the original recording you can hear Adam Clayton sliding around from one note to the other - particularly from G back up to D.

I believe he played the line on the low E string because the notes sound larger and rounder and have a more uniform tone if you play them all on the low E string.

If you compare your open D string to D on the 5th fret of the A string and then to D on the 10 th fret of the E string, you should hear the note sounds progressively larger and more bass heavy.

It's a nice coincidence that it makes it less complicated for beginners to play and makes it an ideal tune for students.

You are right - we are often encouraged to play in position and I agree it is a much more economic way to play.

Sometimes you have to stray from conventional wisdom to get a particular sound....

[quote name='Davemarks' post='13032' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:56 PM']Hey all,

I've started posting a new series of video lessons which goes through basslines from well known songs that are simple but musical and very effective.
[...]

Feel free to post more suggestions,

Dave[/quote]

The Thrill is Gone

Stormy Monday (the "They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad" song, apparently there's another Stormy Monday)

Killing Floor

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I have found your walking basslines lessons very helpful and I just wanted to add that I you have helped me to understand the concepts of walking basslines. Ive stll got many weeks of practising to get good enough with it but it is now part of my daily playing routine!

Something I would be interested in would be something similar for advanced slap techniques, such as double thumping or tapping - I have never been able to grasp some of the techniques that Marcus Miller uses like double thumping.

Ive seen the Wooten videos but it didnt really help that much. Your youtube lessons are much more informative so far!

Cheers

Luke

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dave,

Just a quick note to say thanks for the clear and concise explanations - as a self-taught bass player who's never really moved beyond playing root notes, I've already found the lessons useful and will be spending more time with them in the future. Walking bass lines looks like a great series.

Cheers,
Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Did not see many comments from "Yanks" so though would post one. I played bass in the late 60's and gave it up when drafted. Played with the Moving Sidewalks and now in my "old" age am getting my bass out of the closed for a little fun. Found out that i have forgoten far more than i ever new but this site is a great resource. Don from Dallas Texas

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='dbsummers' post='423549' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:18 PM']Did not see many comments from "Yanks" so though would post one. I played bass in the late 60's and gave it up when drafted. Played with the Moving Sidewalks and now in my "old" age am getting my bass out of the closed for a little fun. Found out that i have forgoten far more than i ever new but this site is a great resource. Don from Dallas Texas[/quote]

Wow. The Moving Sidewalks. :) What a great band.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...