Why become a member? ×

Last night a DJ fried my speakers

Played a private party last night and the DJ went through the band PA system.
About half way through the night the tops on the Pa began to smoke accompanied by the burning smell of plastic -not good.
The DJ was plugged into the desk via 2 track inputs(phono) from his mixer line outs.
Is it possible that could have caused the crossovers in the tops to melt?

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='1178807' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:28 PM']Played a private party last night and the DJ went through the band PA system.
About half way through the night the tops on the Pa began to smoke accompanied by the burning smell of plastic -not good.
The DJ was plugged into the desk via 2 track inputs(phono) from his mixer line outs.
Is it possible that could have caused the crossovers in the tops to melt?[/quote]

Very unlikely.
It sounds more likely that your power amp has burnt them out.

Not if the pa was set up properly.

Though (poor) DJ's have a habit of trying to improve the sound by pushing gains and eq's until eventually everythings maxed out. If you set things up and [i]then[/i] they did this preamp channels would be clipping, and likely power amps too. If you weren't keeping an eye on the desk and this happened I guess damage could be done, even more likely if the amps were on full power already.