Why become a member? ×

Car Boot Sale Find

kingofthestuntmen

My dad calls me from the local car boot sale this morning to tell me he's found a "Vester Stage Series Guitar", "red and white with 2 pickups". Sounds like a Telecaster so I tell him to snag it there and then.

Meet up with him later to be presented with this :) -

A quick tune up tells me it's working OK-ish. I'll order a set of the Legacy strings I've read so much about and give Mark/7String a call, see what he can make of it.

Edited by kingofthestuntmen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1178696' date='Mar 27 2011, 08:27 PM']The trick is getting there before Bassassin.[/quote]
How very dare you! :) Although the E serial MIJ Squier Strat I snagged last week will tidy up nicely when I get a minute. Think it's a keeper.

£25's excellent for that Vester, although I hope some haggling took place - it is every decent pikey's duty.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1178706' date='Mar 27 2011, 08:36 PM']How very dare you! :) Although the E serial MIJ Squier Strat I snagged last week will tidy up nicely when I get a minute. Think it's a keeper.

£25's excellent for that Vester, although I hope some haggling took place - it is every decent pikey's duty.

Jon.[/quote]

No haggling; my dad reminds me that he hadn't confirmed it as a Stage Series when he first called, so I had told him to just take on the off chance it was a Tradition Series. Of course, this is when I still thought it was a Telecaster... It was kinda late in the day, and I was astonished that it hadn't already been snapped up.

Makes a nice change from folk asking full price for the usual Westfields and Nevadas, eh..?

Never seen one but my understanding is that Vester made a number of copies of well known basses (and not just the usual PB & JB copies either!) in it's Korean factory back in the early 90's.
It is rumoured that Fender threatened legal action and the factory/company was sold off soon afterwards.
Chances are that the factory are still producing basses, but the Vester name has gone.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='1178766' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:08 PM']The best Vester resource on the net appears to be down right now - [url="http://www.vesterfansite.nl/"]http://www.vesterfansite.nl/[/url] - Anyone know if it's been like this for a while..?[/quote]

Looks like it disappeared back in 2009.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1178756' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:04 PM']Never seen one but my understanding is that Vester made a number of copies of well known basses (and not just the usual PB & JB copies either!) in it's Korean factory back in the early 90's.
It is rumoured that Fender threatened legal action and the factory/company was sold off soon afterwards.
Chances are that the factory are still producing basses, but the Vester name has gone.[/quote]

Do they still do those curries in little boxes? They were ace, I loved 'em! :)

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='1178654' date='Mar 27 2011, 07:55 PM']My dad calls me from the local car boot sale this morning to tell me he's found a "Vester Stage Series Guitar", "red and white with 2 pickups". Sounds like a Telecaster so I tell him to snag it there and then.

Meet up with him later to be presented with this :) -

A quick tune up tells me it's working OK-ish. I'll order a set of the Legacy strings I've read so much about and give Mark/7String a call, see what he can make of it.[/quote]

That's my first bass!! I think I got one in 1987 or there abouts. It actually had a fairly easy playing neck, but the build quality waS AWFUL. tHE BODY IS MADE OF PLYWOOD!