Why become a member? ×

Top 5 basses to play before you die!

ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='juice' post='1195158' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:26 PM']I wondered if anyone had heard of these when i put it on my list - Doesn't it make you want to pick it up just looking at it :)[/quote]

It looks incredible, I could spend all day playing it. I imagine the cost will be very high though.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1195302' date='Apr 11 2011, 02:22 AM']I wonder if it would be possible to combine a torzal twist and novax fanned frets and how playable it'd be. Or at least how long before it'd make you feel sea sick. :)[/quote]
I like this concept of combining the two technologies... I wonder if it's possible?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1195340' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:22 AM']It looks incredible, I could spend all day playing it. I imagine the cost will be very high though.[/quote]

The Torzal standard starts at $3300 for a 4string and $3500 for a 5er customs are poa!

• 1 year later...

Some of them are more likely than others, but my choices would be....

Ampeg scroll bass - because they look amazing and are so obscure, plus jah wobble made one sound great.

Kubicki factor (not x factor) - i love the ex factor, think i may like the plain factor too, also pretty obscure

A Carl Thompson - Claypool fan too, plus so individual.

Wal mk1 or mk2 - to see what all the fuss is about.

Bootsy's Spacebass - the one with 5 pickups, should be fun.

Id go with

1) Rick 4003 - in particular the 2011 ones. Best bass ive ever played. If not try another 4003, there are good and bad ones out there... Ive been pretty lucky with mine. My 4003 went in for service recently... I was lost without it, when it returned, so did my "mojo" - lol. Much more versatile than people give them credit for, 2 PU's and separate tone pots means a wide range of tones, plus stereo etc.
2) The Doodle - some of you may have played this! Dan's Shuker is amazing : i really do not dig ERB's at all but that plays like butter and sounds phenomenal. Go see him at a bassbash :D
3) Fender P Standard - much like Ronseal in that it does what it says on the tin. If you cant gig with one of these you probably should consider switching to another instrument... ;-)
4) Gibson Les Paul Bass - the old Triumphs. An experience indeed to play one of these, does the EB3 sound but also successfully impersonates a Precision if you fiddle with it a bit! Looks incredibly cool too. Downside? Weighs as much as the USS Nimitz.
5) Wal - Ive never played one, so im intrigued!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1301344082' post='1180085']
Status KingBass - Would love to figure out if the body size/string spacing/32"/bendwell would work for me.

Wal Mk1 Fretted - Think this is my only other 'to buy' bass, I played a Fretless MkII and it was love.

Alembic MK Sig or similar - Have Played LozBass' Short Scale Alembic and it was amazing, but way too small for me, and an Epic, but it played like crap with old strings etc.

NYC Sadowsky - Just to see what the fuss is about.

Fodera Monarch - As Sadowsky.
[/quote]

Tried a King Bass courtesy of MB1 paying me a visit, it was ace, would like one eventually; just a lovely thing!
Also played an NYC Sadowsky, and it was nice but didn't knock my head off to be honest.

Tried a Dingwall or two since my post; love them.

The Wal desire continues...

Would live to try a Mike Lull Jazz and a TB-4

See what happens!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1344369805' post='1763646']
why do many of the Warwick Thumb bass suggestions (.. all hail the mighty thumb...) talk about 'early' thumbs... mine pair are 2011 models and they are stonkingly burpin' :)
[/quote]

I'm not that familiar with the newer models, but particularly like the 80s one's I've played. I prefer the EMGs (compared to MECs) that were on the early ones and the 3D Schaller bridge. I also like the wenge neck, which they seem to have dropped now. I believe newer ones also have a volute which I really dislike.

This is all a matter of preference though. I guess I'd recommend playing an 80s one because it was the 'original' version and gives you a feel of what it was that turned people onto Warwick before it was the big name it is today.

I'm sure the newer basses are great too.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1302484921' post='1195302']
I wonder if it would be possible to combine a torzal twist and novax fanned frets and how playable it'd be. Or at least how long before it'd make you feel sea sick. :lol:
[/quote]

Forgive me if this has been posted already...

[url="http://littleguitarworks.com/2012/06/torzal-fanned-fret-yes/"]http://littleguitarworks.com/2012/06/torzal-fanned-fret-yes/[/url]

[sup][size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here's my take on the question, based on basses I've never played:-[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Musicman Gamechanger[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Musicman Bongo fretless[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wal[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Alembic[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Status[/font][/size][/sup]

Edited by drTStingray

Ken Lawrence Chamberbass (a work or art)
Carl Thompson (because I am a Claypool fan)
60's Fender Jazz (a playable one!)
Ken Smith BSR6 (never played a 6 string model. Many hail them as the king of 6'ers!)
Fodera Imperial (I have played the Emperor and Monarch...never this model)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1347701575' post='1804104']
[sup][size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here's my take on the question, based on basses I've never played:-[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Musicman Gamechanger[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Musicman Bongo fretless[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wal[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Alembic[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Status[/font][/size][/sup]
[/quote]

I reckon you'd need a lifetime to try all the different sounds on a Gamechanger.

I'm pretty satisfied with the basses I've got, plus I've been lucky enough to recently try:

1961 slab board VVT Jazz..... best bass I've ever played, felt like I'd played it all my life
1960 slab board Precision.... also stunning although I'm less familiar with precisions
a couple of Foderas.... very nice but didn't make me want to rush out and buy one

Would like to test out the above for longer (a few years please), plus a Ritter of some sort would be interesting although I don't like the styling much.

I've been lucky to enough to own or play most of the basses I have coveted (Wals, Gibsons, Ricks, Shuker, Alembics, Alleva Coppolo's etc) and - after a long process of buying and selling - have ended up with three regular Fenders (P, J and fretless J). Can't really see me being after anything else.

However, if there is one bass I'd still really like to have a play on it would be an Alembic Stanley Clarke

In my humble opinion, only from experience of what I have once owned or own currently.

1. Any Dingwall. Fanfret B string is a must. So easy to play and the sound is fantastic from my ABII
2. Custom shop Fender Jazz bass. Because it is a work of art, and the 18v eq is on fire.
3. Musicman SR5. Love the sound, love the look.
4. Peavey grind bass 5 string. Strange choice, I know. I had a really really good one and it never needed anything other than strings for 6 years. No action, intonation issues at all. Solid and reliable passive bass. Would buy another.
5. USA Fender P bass. Does what it says on the tin. Everyone needs one.

So there.

What about 5 you would hate to have to play again ????

1. Yamaha "Super" BB2024x - White with black faceplate... NOM!
2. Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude LTD 3
3. Wal MKII
4. Any Rick
5. Retrovibe Vantage - Out of them all this will be one I know I can afford and I will be buying at some point! I would love a 5 string in sunburst... I better start saving the extra pennies ;)

Mine would be:
1. Fender P bass (an older one, but I'm no expert!)
2. 60s Jazz bass, absolute beauties!
3. A Wal, again, to see about the fuss
4. Fodera, because a custom made bass feels like a tailored suit, perfect! (wish I could afford one)
5. YOUR favourite bass. You should find THE bass for you before you go, it is a beautiful feeling!

And the 5 I don't want to play again:
1. Ricky (let's not argue about this now, I just don't get along with them)
2. Ibanez SR series is it? (a friend has one, really didn't like the neck, and for a small body, it was super heavy!)
3. MM Ray '09 (never liked the several that I tried, I could probably find a Ray that I like if I looked for long enough)
Yet to meet 4 and 5...