Why become a member? ×

Good Gig

Pete Academy

Played a new venue in Nottingham last night. We had a great night but I played really badly. Messed up songs that I've played regularly for over ten years. From the first bum note I was on edge and had to concentrate really hard, whereas I'd normally be really relaxed. Consequently, I kept messing up.

This doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's really frustrating.

I know it's purely psychological, but I'm sure everyone suffers from this.

Had a weird one myself a few weeks ago. We played a regular venue that supplies a backline, drums, PA & sound guy. My back line was Trace head and 15" cab and I always get a good sound, I use a Trace head myself. Last time the head was getting a repair, and I had no warning of this. The replacement was a Laney combo that sounded sh*te. I plugged in the 15" Trace cab as an extension speaker but that wasn't much cop. We did a quick sound check, but when we came to play I hit my first note and thought the amp was off. I checked and it wasn't, but fumbling around I almost messed the intro. The monitor vocals were almost non existant. The sound guy was not around and the landlady was adjusting the sound whilst serving. The set did not go too well for me after that.

The second set was better vocal wise, but like Pete I was on edge and just went on to fluff more bassslines for the whole night. It was commented on, but not in a nasty way as the the band are not like that. I was glad when it was over.

I get it when I think too hard about what I'm playing. Normally muscle memory takes over and I'm fine, but sometimes, if the gig isn't exactly going down a storm, I drift off and go into autopilot, thinking about what I'm doing the next day or whatever, then I suddenly remember I'm playing a gig with people watching me, and I go totally blank and forget where I am in the song.

That's a bummer. Everyone's had them. I had one where I looked down at my hands thinking that the song sounded all wrong. A song I wrote I hasten to add. I had the most hideous mental blank for at least 20 seconds where I just continued playing what I was doing. Afterwards this was commented on by the band at the bar. Like I was in some sort of trance when I was playing. Naturally I didn't mention that I didn't have slightest idea in hell what I was doing. The odd thing was that apparently I played the right notes as I listened to the gig the next day. To this day I have not got the slightest clue what happened.

Used to play Mr Blue Sky years ago. Worked out bass the run in quavers towards the end of the song and played it every weekend for somewhere north of two years. It became automatic after a short while.

Then came one weekend, went to do it and realised it just wasn't there. I'd forgotten it !

Had to work it out all over again :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1176514' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:37 PM']Played a new venue in Nottingham last night. We had a great night but I played really badly. Messed up songs that I've played regularly for over ten years. From the first bum note I was on edge and had to concentrate really hard, whereas I'd normally be really relaxed. Consequently, I kept messing up.

I know it's purely psychological, but I'm sure everyone suffers from this.[/quote]

Welcome to my world!

I don't think I ever really play well at gigs, there's numerous parts I regularly fluff and it's probably about 50/50 between playing songs perfectly and playing badly.

I don't see the problem though, same as people comment on tones and how many people notice them, the VAST majority of mistakes your bandmates won't even notice. So long as you know the songs well and you're a competent player, you should never be terrible.

Obviously there's some mistakes that do shine through, but the best way to deal with them is to just keep going as if nothing happened, people still won't always notice.

Our singer's terrible for it, every acoustic gig there's at least one song that he forgets the lyrics to. It's embarrassing but he's a charming fella and usually jokes his way through it. We were on a local radio station on Friday and he played an acoustic song, beautiful long intro on guitar then the first line was quickly replaced with "oh balls". :)

I always think (as well as it being band philosophy) that people at a gig (whether at your local or at the O2 arena) are on a night out and don't expect a flawless performance, they just want to have fun. If we play a good set but there's a few mistakes, as long as we keep it in good humour instead of getting visibly frustrated, then people will still enjoy it. We always get raving reviews about our acoustic sets and we never practice acoustically, so I don't know half the songs (I joined after they stopped doing a lot of acoustic sets and never quite got around to learning them properly, my own fault) and the aforementioned problem with the singer's memory (long story, but it's a genuine health thing, not just lazyness, I think he gets into his guitar playing too much when he's doing acoustic gigs and loses where he is). It's all about keeping up the banter and having a laugh.

Jeez, i have just got back from a sh*te gig. Strange - last week we played in a new venue for us in Ascot (miles away) and had a great sound, big stage, lighting and the audience were superb - but there were only about 12 people!

Tonight we were on a tiny stage about 5 ft by 8 ft. I had to face the drummer all night as wasn't space to turn around. Had to play right on top of my cab which is the worst place to be as its too close to really judge the sound and this makes it really uncomfortable playing. The place was packed but the sound was awful and the audience were mildly ok. No encore which hasn't happened for a long time. Leaves ya feeling a bit flat.

I don't have a problem remembering the songs though but there are some that i dread in the set and struggle to hold down the "accepted groove" as i can't help thing that even with Marcus Miller the song wouldn't funk.

Trouble is Pete, not the sort of gig where that is not going to be noticed, I reckon..which adds to the pressure.

Depends what the other guys in the band thought...how bad was bad..?
they should know .

The only think you can do is to try and build in some relax time before you go on.
I think a rush before hand can screw things up.
I have looked forward to certain gigs and then was pretty pissed off with my performance afterwards..can't really explain it.

I sometimes find my mind just goes blank! Sometimes look at the fretboard and think "I know the next note is one of those two!" :) A subtle slide from the wrong note usually gets me out of it! lol! I always make some mistakes, just one of those things I guess, working full time, limited amount of time to practice as a band. I think you just gotta enjoy it, thats why we do it. Isn't it? :)

Do you also find, on a similar note, that sometimes you think you are playing like a complete arse and having a really bad gig - but whoever you speak to after the gig thinks you were on top form?!! How does that work? ha ha!!

Damn you Dood...

Was about to post exactly the same thing.

Some of our best ever gigs have been to no-one but the best received gigs have always been sh*t for us on stage with lots of mistakes and a bad sound on stage. Utterly bizarre. Nowadays I'm happy for the ground in the middle! ;-)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1176514' date='Mar 25 2011, 08:37 PM']Played a new venue in Nottingham last night. We had a great night but I played really badly. Messed up songs that I've played regularly for over ten years. From the first bum note I was on edge and had to concentrate really hard, whereas I'd normally be really relaxed. Consequently, I kept messing up.

I know it's purely psychological, but I'm sure everyone suffers from this.[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately it can be the smallest thing that screws me up. It can then be really difficult for me to stop concentrating on the issues and get on with the job in hand - making lots of noise and having a good time.

I have played what I thought were shockingly bad gigs but still had people come up to the band afterwards saying they enjoyed it and they thought we were really tight! Not sure if they were at the same gig as me, but if they didn't notice and had fun that is all that really matters.

Oh god, once I was playing a gig at the Old Angel in Nottingham and I was suddenly 'aware' of my pinky finger on my right hand. It wouldnt go away! Everytime a played a note I could feel my pinky rubbing against my other finger or on the top string. It really freaked me out and as a result I played awfully.
People musta though I was some kind of jazz genius or something after cos everyone though I was a bass monster that night!

Truckstop

[quote name='dbass' post='1177060' date='Mar 26 2011, 11:32 AM']Damn you Dood...

Was about to post exactly the same thing.

Some of our best ever gigs have been to no-one but the best received gigs have always been sh*t for us on stage with lots of mistakes and a bad sound on stage. Utterly bizarre. Nowadays I'm happy for the ground in the middle! ;-)[/quote]

Me too!
Gig 1 - sounded good, played well to complete & utter disintrest.
Gig 2 - sounded awful, played crap, went down a storm.
Weird but true

Cheers,
Norm.