Why become a member? ×

Bright ideas for removing stuff from inside a DB?

Clarky

My DB has a few Pokemon cards and a Spiderman web inside it, courtesy of my kids when they were very much younger. Generallt these are not a problem but they do rattle when I play the E string and it gets on my wick. Anyone have any bright ideas - short of breaking up the bass (!) how to get these annoying 'childhood treasures' out?

Edited by Clarky

I like the sticky on the end of a stick method. Anything bigger you could try the three pointed grab thingy that motor mechanics use to fish nuts washers etc out of inaccessible places. Or you could carefully turn the bass, table down and give it a shake. I've done it once or twice but never felt completely comfortable.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1175981' date='Mar 25 2011, 02:44 PM']How about one of [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/pick-up-tool-10318"]these[/url]?[/quote]
ooh, thats awfully clever! I will try the cheap (wire hanger and sticky stuff) route first and - if that fails - the Maplins picker-upper-thingummy

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='bassace' post='1175776' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:01 PM']Or you could carefully turn the bass, table down and give it a shake. I've done it once or twice but never felt completely comfortable.[/quote]

If you're going to do this I suggest doing it over a bed, then if you drop the thing it shouldn't come to any harm.

Just make sure there's no-one in the bed at the time! :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='1176874' date='Mar 26 2011, 08:07 AM']Oh no!!! All this is too risky. Take it to a luthier. He/she can take the face off and clean the inside out for you. Then you don't risk damaging the instrument yourself. :)[/quote]

I don't think so.

Well the coat hanger didn't work - the sticky tape blob fell off inside the bass :)

In a fit of pique I manhandled the bass upside down and shook it - and managed to retrieve the two Pokemon cards. The Spiderman web is still inside (plus sticky tape blob :) ) but the bass has stopped rattling so thank you all for your suggestions.

PS, I love the fact the picture of the lovely Laeticia Casta has been downloaded over 20 times with no comment from BC'ers :lol:

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1177015' date='Mar 26 2011, 10:52 AM']You could fit some hinges to the front so the kids can get their own toys out.
[attachment=75772:storage_...net_6642.jpg][/quote]
Nice! Tasteful toy for the DB player who has everything!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1177009' date='Mar 26 2011, 10:47 AM']Well the coat hanger didn't work - the sticky tape blob fell off inside the bass :)

In a fit of pique I manhandled the bass upside down and shook it - and managed to retrieve the two Pokemon cards. The Spiderman web is still inside (plus sticky tape blob :) ) but the bass has stopped rattling so thank you all for your suggestions.

PS, I love the fact the picture of the lovely Laeticia Casta has been downloaded over 20 times with no comment from BC'ers :lol:[/quote]

You could try trained ants!!

Thanks for the picture. Thats gone into my ..... special folder :D

[quote name='Clarky' post='1177437' date='Mar 26 2011, 05:34 PM']Ha ha, 40 downloads now :)[/quote]
I can only assume people download it, print it off, roll it up, put tape on the end & stick it in their upright basses; you've already said this method isn't working so they don't post.

Move along people, there is nothing to see :)

The download-free version...

Lie the bass on it's back.
Shake until the stuff is clearly visible opposite an f hole (bass side, preferably - avoids the possibility of knocking the soundpost.
Fashion an extension for the crevice tool of your vaccuum cleaner (rolled paper, kitchen towel roll etc)
Gaffer (or similar) it to the afore-mentioned crevice tool.
Attach to 'cleaner hose.
Apply suction.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1175755' date='Mar 25 2011, 12:46 PM']My DB has a few Pokemon cards and a Spiderman web inside it, courtesy of my kids when they were very much younger. Generallt these are not a problem but they do rattle when I play the E string and it gets on my wick. Anyone have any bright ideas - short of breaking up the bass (!) how to get these annoying 'childhood treasures' out?[/quote]
Could I suggest "Agent Orange" the Americans had success with it in Vietnam