Why become a member? ×

Light Vs Heavy

waynepunkdude

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1176748' date='Mar 25 2011, 11:58 PM']I have used marshall bass amps. They sounded alright on their own, but were paper thin in a band mix. I had a cheap Laney combo that sounded better![/quote]

Dont know about that, i used to own one of those Marshall 3540 amps. With a 2x15 it was a monsta :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1176994' date='Mar 26 2011, 10:28 AM']Do you still make the Vintage?[/quote]

I dont think he does now, there is a super fifteen, not sure what the difference is.

Wayne, have you tried a TC450? They are not to everyones taste. I thought they were a bit muffled.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1177153' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:47 PM']I dont think he does now, there is a super fifteen, not sure what the difference is.

Wayne, have you tried a TC450? They are not to everyones taste. I thought they were a bit muffled.[/quote]

I have listened to some sound clips, I was quite impressed.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1177153' date='Mar 26 2011, 12:47 PM']Wayne, have you tried a TC450? They are not to everyones taste. I thought they were a bit muffled.[/quote]

+1 I definitely prefer the Markbass-type sound balance, and my feeling is that it will work better than the TC with more cabs/spaces. But to each their own!

[quote name='nash' post='1173496' date='Mar 23 2011, 05:37 PM']i'm a traditional guy. i can't get on with class D power amps.[/quote]

Love the cleanness and light weight, and use 'em. They are so clean, however, that one perceives them as quiet compared to "real" wats of the old-school type. Simply demonstrates how little what we perceive through our hearing relates to measured specs and numbers. See also audio tapered pots, etc. I find class D gives me lots of clarity, but then I like the sound of my bass DI'd too. I also thoroughly approve of big old dirty conventional amps in some contexts. Horse for courses, as always.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1177115' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:18 PM']Dont know about that, i used to own one of those Marshall 3540 amps. With a 2x15 it was a monsta :)[/quote]

Should have clarified, I used modern solid state ones. Still I don't rate the amps very highly, but their cabs on the other hand... Mwah! :)

[quote name='watchman' post='1179056' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:03 AM']Love the cleanness and light weight, and use 'em. They are so clean, however, that one perceives them as quiet compared to "real" wats of the old-school type. Simply demonstrates how little what we perceive through our hearing relates to measured specs and numbers. See also audio tapered pots, etc. I find class D gives me lots of clarity, but then I like the sound of my bass DI'd too. I also thoroughly approve of big old dirty conventional amps in some contexts. Horse for courses, as always.[/quote]

I love the cleanliness for the cases when I need it. It's not often admittedly as I'm a metal guy. But I prefer to start from a clean slate and filth it up with pedals :)

I have an Eden WT550 and 2x15 cab. I think it's the best of both worlds?

The WT550 is by a long margin the most impressive head I've had the pleasure of using. More power than you'll need, best sounding and most versatile preamp i've used, small, 2ohm capable, and as light as is needed.

The 2x15 is a freakin monster, huge sound (obviously..) but with as much punch and top end clarity as other, smaller cabs i've owned (schroeder, glock, eden 2x10). Easily moved around thanks to built in tilt-back casters. But amazingly light considering what it is! Easy to lift on your own (though it's size makes moving around once you've picked it up tricky..) and a breeze with 2 people.

Also, it fits in my Nissan Micra! Deffinitely the best of both worlds!