Why become a member? ×

Things That Make You Want To Give Up!

spongebob

Saw The Stranglers last night in Brighton.

Playing alongside in support, Wilko Johnson and Norman Watt-Roy!

What a player....couldn't believe what he was doing with 12-bar material. I think he must have at least 15 fingers.

JJ was equally superb - his tone was totally to die for - everything I wanted and more.

Great night - and really puts your own playing in perspective - if I practice about 18 hours a day and gig for the next 30 years, I too could be like Norman!

Seeing someone great has never made me want to give up. I usually get influenced to pick the
bass up and practice.

I do sometimes get slightly disheartened when I see players/bands that I consider to be seriously bad,
being lauded as great though.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1168359' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:38 PM']Seeing someone great has never made me want to give up. I usually get influenced to pick the
bass up and practice.

I do sometimes get slightly disheartened when I see players/bands that I consider to be seriously bad,
being lauded as great though.[/quote]

Pretty my experience too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='spongebob' post='1168339' date='Mar 19 2011, 04:25 PM']Playing alongside in support, Wilko Johnson and Norman Watt-Roy!

What a player....couldn't believe what he was doing with 12-bar material. I think he must have at least 15 fingers.[/quote]

I love him, he's a ridiculously groovy bass player!

• 2 weeks later...

i once went to a billy sheehan clinic as a younger man and didn't play for 2 days afterwards. Then i strapped on a pair and started on my 3 finger technique. [i]Really[/i] slowly.

Edited by paul_5

It's when I see a guy that can blatantly hardly play and not that interested in bass making a living as a bass player that I get pretty fed up. Feels like I've spent years learning my craft and my instrument for nothing. Shoulda spent more on haircuts and practicing tickling a (inevitably) p bass or Rick with a plectrum while staring at my feet.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1191453' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:54 AM']It's when I see a guy that can blatantly hardly play and not that interested in bass making a living as a bass player that I get pretty fed up. Feels like I've spent years learning my craft and my instrument for nothing. Shoulda spent more on haircuts and practicing tickling a (inevitably) p bass or Rick with a plectrum while staring at my feet.[/quote]

Tell me about it. That sums my attitude up exactly. I accept that there will always be someone that can do something better than you. Such is life. Like Doddy, that just makes me practice more and try new things to improve my playing. But when people who can barely play make squillions when there are others on this forum who would wipe the floor with them and have put years or even decades into learning to play well, I feel physically sick and begin to wonder why the hell I ever bothered.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1191453' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:54 AM']It's when I see a guy that can blatantly hardly play and not that interested in bass making a living as a bass player that I get pretty fed up. Feels like I've spent years learning my craft and my instrument for nothing. Shoulda spent more on haircuts and practicing tickling a (inevitably) p bass or Rick with a plectrum while staring at my feet.[/quote]

Thats life and who said life was fair.
Be thankful for all you have and don't worry about what you haven't.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1191453' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:54 AM']It's when I see a guy that can blatantly hardly play and not that interested in bass making a living as a bass player that I get pretty fed up. Feels like I've spent years learning my craft and my instrument for nothing. Shoulda spent more on haircuts and practicing tickling a (inevitably) Spector with a plectrum while staring at boobs.[/quote]Gene Simmons?

I will be supporting the Blockheads in a few weeks at the Robin in Wolverhampton for the 3rd time in as many years. You just can't take your eyes off Norm when he is playing. He is also a top bloke, very sociable and happy to have a beer with the support band at the end of the night.

There's got to be a point where you can say that you're happy with what you've achieved, if you're forever pitting yourself against monster players then you'll develop some very sore fingers, a complex and probably carpel tunnel. No one makes me want to give up, only want to learn more and play more :)

As my vocalist said at the end of Friday's gig, working up covers of choons by lesser known bands that are still really good and require more than a bit of work. Getting them pretty much spot on at the first outing. Seeing the crowd tapping their feet and getting into it, but then getting a blank stare at the end. Felt like saying "come on, we worked bl00dy hard on that and it's a good song!" What's more annoying people were asking what it was after, so it can't have been that bad. Better put it down to fear of the unknown & a first outing

Ah well. Shall not be broken & will persevere. You never know it just might get some obscure Australian & Norwegian bands some sales from a territory they weren't expecting :)