Why become a member? ×

String spacing

fryer

My Hofner has a string spacing at the bridge of 14 mm, which is nice. I've just bought a Hagstrom HB 4, and the spacing is 20 mm, which makes all the strings seam too far apart.

I could change the bridge, but the neck would still be too wide. This could be modified, but would be a lot of work.

What is a 'normal' spacing ?

IME I've yet to encounter 20mm spacing!

Classic Fender 4-string spacing is 19mm, so that's most Ps and Js. Many 4-strings drop to 18mm, while 5-strings often go to 17mm, or even 16.5mm (although who measures the 0.5mm difference I couldn't tell you).

Ricks have close-set strings, similar to Hofner but (from memory) nearer 16mm than 14mm.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1166810' date='Mar 18 2011, 10:52 AM']IME I've yet to encounter 20mm spacing!

Classic Fender 4-string spacing is 19mm, so that's most Ps and Js. Many 4-strings drop to 18mm, while 5-strings often go to 17mm, or even 16.5mm (although who measures the 0.5mm difference I couldn't tell you).

Ricks have close-set strings, similar to Hofner but (from memory) nearer 16mm than 14mm.[/quote]

Where did you get that avatar. Is it you ? Thanks for the above, I thought they seamed too wide.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1167219' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:43 PM']looking at the website, I think they may be using the same neck for the 4 and 8 string models and possibly using a scarf joint to add whatever headstock is required which would explain the extra width[/quote]

Iv'e got an 8, and with the 8 strings it works fine. And it is the same neck. And it doesn't work with the 4. Think I'll have to change the bridge.

My 2 Squiers CV's are 20mm and i found this to be a bit uncomfortable. I put a Fender Vintage bridge on the P as this has grooved saddles so you can adjust the string spacing, although not by much. Th eP now has the standard 19mm Goto 201 on it.

Schaller make some nice bridges with adjustable string spacing, and Wilkinson make some nice cheap versions of these.

There is a thread on TB about bridges and string spacing, and if i recall the Kahler Hybrid 7440 will go down to 14mm but i expect its very expensive.

One of the reasons i like playing 5 string is the narrower string spacing.

Edited by dave_bass5