Jump to content
Why become a member? Read more... ×
jezzaboy

Jazz

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

My Jazz, 2003 MIM, Inca Silver with Fender high mass bridge, multicolour shell pickguard, Entwhistle JBXN pickups and stack-pot controls I built myself with CTS pots, old Russian caps and cheap knobs (have you seen the price of genuine ones ffs) topped of with HB7 machine heads and wearing Maruszczyk flats

Bass was an impulse off Ebay buy, slapped to death, so needed a fret level and crown and a general makeover so I took the opportunity to go the whole hog and learn some new skills at the same time

Not your usual with tort look and it sounds great to my ears, I'd love to hear a really good player play it

WP_20180603_002.jpg

Edited by Aidan63
forgot somethings
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks really good aidan63.      and it’s great fun building your own  this is one I did    it started life as a blue basic squire  I stripped it and sprayed it shell pink   And upgraded all of it  stained and polished the fretboard. I’m a carpenter/cabinetmaker and polisher by trade  it’s fitted with tapewound strings sounds really mellow

24974B97-9E7D-49E8-B6EC-EC4F6ADA08B3.jpeg

D84951C5-050C-41CB-B2E0-7D9091F04239.jpeg

CD6D195A-C194-48EF-93AB-914C255328DF.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work there Reggaebass and great username, it's what I badly/barely play, it's what largely moves me

Tort works well on that though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pick up this bass every once in a while and it surprises me every time how good it is. The neck, setup, sound, everything is amázing. Especially when considering I paid only €400 for it. Put about the same amount of money in the electronics (Nordstrand and Aguilar), but still. Fantastic instrument.

l0Jk6wZ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite basses. It may appear in here already, as it was purchased from a BC'er, a J&D jazz (I'm not a man of expensive tastes) in seafoam green (was the colour that made me go for it) upgraded with some Wilkinson tuners, bridge and control plate in black, and a Fender logo (who are they when they at home?). Since bagging it I've replaced the chrome pickguard screws with black, attacked the back of the neck with a rasp and sandpaper to slim it a bit, wirewooled the sticky varnish off the front of the board and strung it with a set of Status Black Nylons. It plays great and seems to be the bass I find myself going to at the moment. Love it. Even splashed out an a nice new leather strap for it :)

 

chariot.jpg.183529ebd9b5a417858f8e59242c0186.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, it’s not a Fender, but there’s mistaking this bass’ origins...

 

ADD3FD61-678F-4F45-90C9-474488EC0F28.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite basses. It may appear in here already, as it was purchased from a BC'er, a J&D jazz (I'm not a man of expensive tastes) in seafoam green (was the colour that made me go for it) upgraded with some Wilkinson tuners, bridge and control plate in black, and a Fender logo (who are they when they at home?). Since bagging it I've replaced the chrome pickguard screws with black, attacked the back of the neck with a rasp and sandpaper to slim it a bit, wirewooled the sticky varnish off the front of the board and strung it with a set of Status Black Nylons. It plays great and seems to be the bass I find myself going to at the moment. Love it. Even splashed out an a nice new leather strap for it :)

 

chariot.jpg.183529ebd9b5a417858f8e59242c0186.jpg

I’m a big fan of J&D basses, in fact I have this exact ’75 model but in black. Mine’s entirely stock and I regularly gig it. Super instrument and for a shade over £100 it’s incredible. 

3F24EA3A-0FB5-4EB4-B4E0-1ACD538FA0B3.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2018 at 22:22, BrunoBass said:

I’m a big fan of J&D basses, in fact I have this exact ’75 model but in black. Mine’s entirely stock and I regularly gig it. Super instrument and for a shade over £100 it’s incredible. 

3F24EA3A-0FB5-4EB4-B4E0-1ACD538FA0B3.jpeg

I've never played a J&D bass but everytime I read the name I have a childest little chuckle to myself as 'Jack & Danny' means something completely different in rhyming slang to me! 😁 

On a serious note how do they compare to HB basses for the same price? 

It's a shame that neither of the companies do a 5 string Jazz bass because aswell as favouring playing 5 string I'm preferring my Jazz to my P bass at the mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've never played a J&D bass but everytime I read the name I have a childest little chuckle to myself as 'Jack & Danny' means something completely different in rhyming slang to me! 😁 

On a serious note how do they compare to HB basses for the same price? 

It's a shame that neither of the companies do a 5 string Jazz bass because aswell as favouring playing 5 string I'm preferring my Jazz to my P bass at the mo

Ha ha yes I think they’re only branded as J&D in the UK due to our infantile humour 😉

My J&D is much better than than my HB. I can only compare the two models I own but the J&D was giggable straight out of the box. I even made a video as to why I think it’s the better bass 

I’ve got my eye on one of these now... 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-PB-Vintage-1963-BK-Black/art-BAS0007156-000 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Ha ha yes I think they’re only branded as J&D in the UK due to our infantile humour 😉

My J&D is much better than than my HB. I can only compare the two models I own but the J&D was giggable straight out of the box. I even made a video as to why I think it’s the better bass 

I’ve got my eye on one of these now... 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-PB-Vintage-1963-BK-Black/art-BAS0007156-000 

I keep on looking at this one very tempting 🤔

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-JB-Vintage-1975-VWH-Vintage-White/art-BAS0009120-000

Damn it seeing that is now making me thinking of refinishing my Jazz

_20180723_005621.thumb.JPG.1dbb2bfd178cb1b069303b25a248f3dc.JPG

Like this but with Black hardware!! 🙄

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though the plan was to get a fretless I saw this and could not resist:

IMG_0988.thumb.jpg.ae293ea7cd9178f4704950c655da911d.jpg

Luckily I'm not getting on too badly with the frets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimothey said:

Here's my recently refinished Jazz kit build

@BrunoBass I decided against the White and went for the Orange instead 😀

_20180727_130359.thumb.JPG.2bc0b0ea240c693d41607179d8bc5658.JPG

Love it, looks awesome! 🍊 

I like the black hardware, and how the neck pickup blends into the chequered scratchplate.

Is it a player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Love it, looks awesome! 🍊 

I like the black hardware, and how the neck pickup blends into the chequered scratchplate.

Is it a player?

Yeah I much prefer playing to my P the action is nice and low and the neck is nice and quick, even though its set up the same as my P it just feels better to play 

I've just got to sort out the electrics as it on a solderless harness and 1 of the ends came off when I was stripping it down to spray 🤬

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me and BC Bass who have posted pics of their the 22 fret Long Horn (Boner) bass ?

This is my 1994 USA Jazz with Badass bridge and Sims front & side led's pictured with my Jaydee series 3 1987IMG_2867.thumb.JPG.9fd3cd745000cede586f806dc3bc1df8.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My old beloved Jazz Bass I bought second hand in 1982 has undergone some dramatic changes through the years. It started as a black maple neck bass. I took off the horrific lacquer and had it more or less just wood filled/plain wood for a lot of years. It was the heaviest s.o.b. out there, causing a slipped disc and back surgery for me. Some years ago I had a new very nice body made for it, chambered, with "tiger eye burst". But - I made a mistake: I didn't tell the luthier I wanted 70's bridge pup position, so it was a beautiful wall warmer for some years.

Last year I bought a super nice single piece swamp ash body with 70's routing from www.guitarbuild.co.uk and today I let the old friend out in the sunshine again. No lacquer, just heavily Danish Oiled and polished, Hipshot KickAss bridge, the Swedish Lundgren single coil pickups and completely shieded and grounded. Even the pole pieces are grounded, so no buzz when touching them. Faraday cage, kind of... :) Well, here is my old friend, my first ever bass, revitalised and reincarnated...

43835073432_d1e3f576f9_k.jpg

It is the same bass as in my avatar, but with the beautiful body, that now has a fretless neck...

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×