Why become a member? ×

Jazz

jezzaboy

The more or less standard Jazzes, ESP 400 Series and Bacchus Standard 5. I've had the ESP for almost 30 years and it's the one which always feels like home. I recently installed a Noll TCM3 preamp which gives B,M,T cut and boost as well as a passive circuit with a tone control. It's a beast. The Bacchus arrived second hand about 15 years ago. It was a real eye-opener, amazing bass.

b1.jpg

The hybrids, J body but pickup deviations, Charvel JP and a homemade JPJ. The Charvel has a slim neck like a Soundgear but with a P width nut. It had a fretboard replacement before I got it, the 21-fretted rosewood board replaced with a fretless two-octave ebony board. I had it fretted and replaced the V,V,T Reflex active electronics. It now has Loureiro pickups and a Vol, Blend, Tone with a push-pull volume control which runs the pickups in series for Angry Bear mode. The JPJ is a Mightymite neck and one-piece ash body with EMG pickups and electronics. The neck J and P are routed to a three-way mini-switch and the output of that goes into a blend control with the bridge J so I can run any combination of the pickups with bass and treble cut and boost controls.

b2.jpg

The distant cousins, modified J shape and pickup deviants, Bacchus 24 and Grooveline. The 24 was the lightest bass I owned, a really nice and comfortable modern take on the Jazz. The Grooveline arrived last week and is even lighter. It's needs a bit of work, it has clearly had a hard life, but I really, really like it already. I'm confident it will be really amazing when the work is done on it.

b3.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The JPJ is a Mightymite neck and one-piece ash body with EMG pickups and electronics. The neck J and P are routed to a three-way mini-switch and the output of that goes into a blend control with the bridge J so I can run any combination of the pickups with bass and treble cut and boost controls.

b2.jpg

Love that JPJ!!

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 15:44, irvined said:

My two.

Both Squiers.

Fretted is 7Lb 4oz

Fretless is 9Lb 4 oz

20180210_150730.jpg

20180210_150815.jpg

20180210_150903.jpg

Wow...who would have thought that adding fret wire makes things lighter...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Wow...who would have thought that adding fret wire makes things lighter...

I bet Newton never saw that one coming... 😃

Here's my new (JHS "Vintage" Reissue), that I'm deliriously happy with!

WP_20190602_16_07_09_Pro.thumb.jpg.3a35d7ef20b70dd649832578c1a7de38.jpg

It has a bound neck, with abalone dot markers! And a greenish retro tint to the PG.

WP_20190602_16_07_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.61f1ad9f9887ba383d936bb850617269.jpg

I've never had a CAR guitar before. It may be really cool, or at least a good colour for reggae!?

:sun_bespectacled:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

It has a bound neck, with abalone dot markers! And a greenish retro tint to the PG.

I've never had a CAR guitar before. It may be really cool, or at least a good colour for reggae!?

Loving that Ricky, very nice  👍and the colours spot on for reggae 😀

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Loving that Ricky, very nice  👍and the colours spot on for reggae 😀

Thanks RB! 😃 It came about quite by accident...

I was close to pulling the trigger on one of those Mex' Fender Classic 70s Jazz models (I think you have or at least had one of those? And I'm sure they're much nicer), however, I had cause to contact a local music shop on another matter, and they happened to have this 'Vintage' on the second-hand rack - in virtually unplayed condition (still had the wrappers on the PG & control plate) ... (except oddly, it had the Fender flats fitted by the previous owner) - and it was at a very low price.

So me being a cheap b'stard - Home it came!

Edited by Ricky 4000

5 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I love a CAR guitar.

Which makes it seriously uncool, of course

You should get rid. I'll take it off your hands if you like.

No, no, don't thank me...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thanks RB! 😃 It came about quite by accident...

I was close to pulling the trigger on one of those Mex' Fender Classic 70s Jazz models (I think you have or at least had one of those? And I'm sure they're much nicer), however, I had cause to contact a local music shop on another matter, and they happened to have this 'Vintage' on the second-hand rack - in virtually unplayed condition (still had the wrappers on the PG & control plate) ... (except oddly, it had the Fender flats fitted by the previous owner) - and it was at a very low price.

So me being a cheap b'stard - Home it came!

That’s one nice looking bass , and there’s something about the candy apple red (which I think yours is) That just looks so good, and it’s got flats, 👍  the thing with the classic 70s ones is the neck profile is quite deep and I’m used to slimmer jazzes so I don’t play it much , how does yours sound 🙂

On 25/05/2019 at 15:01, DiMarco said:

On the fretless neck, we decided to extend the fb beyond where the neck ends

Neat and looks good. Where's the truss adjuster though? I do like unlined necks on fretless. My Mayones has 2 octave neck but there be dragons up there. 17 is high enough for me cos I go dizzy any higher.

6 hours ago, Soledad said:

Neat and looks good. Where's the truss adjuster though? I do like unlined necks on fretless. My Mayones has 2 octave neck but there be dragons up there. 17 is high enough for me cos I go dizzy any higher.

Truss adjuster is at the headstock side, which I prefer.

On 02/06/2019 at 22:09, Reggaebass said:

That’s one nice looking bass , and there’s something about the candy apple red (which I think yours is) That just looks so good, and it’s got flats, 👍  the thing with the classic 70s ones is the neck profile is quite deep and I’m used to slimmer jazzes so I don’t play it much , how does yours sound 🙂

Cheers, RB.

Yep, it's a very sparkly paint job that doesn't really come out in the pictures, but there's a lot of metal flake(?) in it. 👍

It sounds really great to me, and the neck feels slim, but then I haven't owned the genuine article (or a high-end J design bass), to compare... but for sure, from my frame of reference - Is really good! 😀

On 02/06/2019 at 21:58, foxyFuze said:

Snap! Good pickups on these, quite a chunky neck though, wasn't expecting that.... 

IMG_20190602_215324.jpg

• Like 1

Guest M-rek

Here are my 2 JHS Vintage Icon Jazz basses. the one on the right is fretless, their „Jaco“ model. I didn‘t really like the relicing in person, so I decided to completely sand it and finish it with a couple coats of tru-oil. I read poplar has a very „boring“ grain, but I like the way it looks!
The black one has the same factory relicing, which I don‘t fancy either... Thinking about refinishing it one day...

3AEC26E1-EE32-42EC-A13A-1F452192D8F1.thumb.jpeg.4d59ed1fdd2d79abeab62ed6122b88de.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...