Why become a member? ×

Jazz

jezzaboy

1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite basses. It may appear in here already, as it was purchased from a BC'er, a J&D jazz (I'm not a man of expensive tastes) in seafoam green (was the colour that made me go for it) upgraded with some Wilkinson tuners, bridge and control plate in black, and a Fender logo (who are they when they at home?). Since bagging it I've replaced the chrome pickguard screws with black, attacked the back of the neck with a rasp and sandpaper to slim it a bit, wirewooled the sticky varnish off the front of the board and strung it with a set of Status Black Nylons. It plays great and seems to be the bass I find myself going to at the moment. Love it. Even splashed out an a nice new leather strap for it :)

chariot.jpg.183529ebd9b5a417858f8e59242c0186.jpg

I’m a big fan of J&D basses, in fact I have this exact ’75 model but in black. Mine’s entirely stock and I regularly gig it. Super instrument and for a shade over £100 it’s incredible. 

3F24EA3A-0FB5-4EB4-B4E0-1ACD538FA0B3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 22:22, BrunoBass said:

I’m a big fan of J&D basses, in fact I have this exact ’75 model but in black. Mine’s entirely stock and I regularly gig it. Super instrument and for a shade over £100 it’s incredible. 

3F24EA3A-0FB5-4EB4-B4E0-1ACD538FA0B3.jpeg

I've never played a J&D bass but everytime I read the name I have a childest little chuckle to myself as 'Jack & Danny' means something completely different in rhyming slang to me! 😁 

On a serious note how do they compare to HB basses for the same price? 

It's a shame that neither of the companies do a 5 string Jazz bass because aswell as favouring playing 5 string I'm preferring my Jazz to my P bass at the mo

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've never played a J&D bass but everytime I read the name I have a childest little chuckle to myself as 'Jack & Danny' means something completely different in rhyming slang to me! 😁 

On a serious note how do they compare to HB basses for the same price? 

It's a shame that neither of the companies do a 5 string Jazz bass because aswell as favouring playing 5 string I'm preferring my Jazz to my P bass at the mo

Ha ha yes I think they’re only branded as J&D in the UK due to our infantile humour 😉

My J&D is much better than than my HB. I can only compare the two models I own but the J&D was giggable straight out of the box. I even made a video as to why I think it’s the better bass 

I’ve got my eye on one of these now... 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-PB-Vintage-1963-BK-Black/art-BAS0007156-000 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Ha ha yes I think they’re only branded as J&D in the UK due to our infantile humour 😉

My J&D is much better than than my HB. I can only compare the two models I own but the J&D was giggable straight out of the box. I even made a video as to why I think it’s the better bass 

I’ve got my eye on one of these now... 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-PB-Vintage-1963-BK-Black/art-BAS0007156-000 

I keep on looking at this one very tempting 🤔

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-JB-Vintage-1975-VWH-Vintage-White/art-BAS0009120-000

Damn it seeing that is now making me thinking of refinishing my Jazz

_20180723_005621.thumb.JPG.1dbb2bfd178cb1b069303b25a248f3dc.JPG

Like this but with Black hardware!! 🙄

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

Just now, Jimothey said:

Here's my recently refinished Jazz kit build

@BrunoBass I decided against the White and went for the Orange instead 😀

_20180727_130359.thumb.JPG.2bc0b0ea240c693d41607179d8bc5658.JPG

Love it, looks awesome! 🍊 

I like the black hardware, and how the neck pickup blends into the chequered scratchplate.

Is it a player?

12 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Love it, looks awesome! 🍊 

I like the black hardware, and how the neck pickup blends into the chequered scratchplate.

Is it a player?

Yeah I much prefer playing to my P the action is nice and low and the neck is nice and quick, even though its set up the same as my P it just feels better to play 

I've just got to sort out the electrics as it on a solderless harness and 1 of the ends came off when I was stripping it down to spray 🤬

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My old beloved Jazz Bass I bought second hand in 1982 has undergone some dramatic changes through the years. It started as a black maple neck bass. I took off the horrific lacquer and had it more or less just wood filled/plain wood for a lot of years. It was the heaviest s.o.b. out there, causing a slipped disc and back surgery for me. Some years ago I had a new very nice body made for it, chambered, with "tiger eye burst". But - I made a mistake: I didn't tell the luthier I wanted 70's bridge pup position, so it was a beautiful wall warmer for some years.

Last year I bought a super nice single piece swamp ash body with 70's routing from www.guitarbuild.co.uk and today I let the old friend out in the sunshine again. No lacquer, just heavily Danish Oiled and polished, Hipshot KickAss bridge, the Swedish Lundgren single coil pickups and completely shieded and grounded. Even the pole pieces are grounded, so no buzz when touching them. Faraday cage, kind of... :) Well, here is my old friend, my first ever bass, revitalised and reincarnated...

43835073432_d1e3f576f9_k.jpg

It is the same bass as in my avatar, but with the beautiful body, that now has a fretless neck...

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JAZZ you said?

The black used to be a Fender Marcus Miller V usa - but its neck warped so bad I had it replaced with this custom fretless neck.
The other is 100% Vincent Guitars and my own design (woodtypes, pickup config, electronics wiring). I had already posted that one elsewhere on this forum I believe.

vinzenzo.thumb.jpg.d12e23737802018a233ea4ba043f5c88.jpg

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1