Why become a member? ×

Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin Male to Male USB 2.0 Adapter

thebrig

Most laptops these days don't have Firewire, but most of the audio interfaces I'm looking at are Firewire.

So would a Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin Male to Male USB 2.0 Adapter do the job, or would it be affected by the limitations of USB?

I have just upgraded my laptop to:

Intel Core i5-450M
15.6" HD LED LCD
Intel HD Graphics
4 GB DDR3 Memory
500 GB HDD
DVD-Super Multi DL Drive

So I'm hoping I have a decent enough computer for the job, but it does not have Firewire!

I use a firewire express card in my HP laptop... I have recorded 8 inputs together with no glitches - in fact, I've never had a problem at all with it.

Similar to [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Firewire-IEEE1394-Express-ExpressCard-Laptop/dp/B002TUP2WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300261465&sr=8-1"]this one on Amazon[/url].

[quote name='thebrig' post='1163987' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:18 AM']Most laptops these days don't have Firewire, but most of the audio interfaces I'm looking at are Firewire.

So would a Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin Male to Male USB 2.0 Adapter do the job, or would it be affected by the limitations of USB?

I have just upgraded my laptop to:

Intel Core i5-450M
15.6" HD LED LCD
Intel HD Graphics
4 GB DDR3 Memory
500 GB HDD
DVD-Super Multi DL Drive

So I'm hoping I have a decent enough computer for the job, but it does not have Firewire![/quote]

I needed to transfer some Audio data from a external Firewire hard drive to USB input on a PC.
I tried using a Adaptor, and in my case it did not work, so i think it might be hit & miss. [if it works at all]
OldG's method would be the best bet, unless you re think and go the USB route.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1164053' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:32 AM']I needed to transfer some Audio data from a external Firewire hard drive to USB input on a PC.
I tried using a Adaptor, and in my case it did not work, so i think it might be hit & miss. [if it works at all]
OldG's method would be the best bet, unless you re think and go the USB route.

Garry[/quote]
Unfortunately, most new laptops don't have express card slots either.

Probably a cost thing, and most things being USB nowadays, except for the better quality audio interfaces it would seem.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1164287' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:11 PM']Unfortunately, most new laptops don't have express card slots either.[/quote]

Really? I suppose the more expandable/upgradable things are, the less often people need new ones...

I've been following this thread as i have a Phonic Helix mixing desk that has a firewire I/O with 18 sends, would love to record a band night, but have each channel recorded individually to help with mixing. But my laptop doesn't have a firewire input..

Gonna try Oldg's suggestion. Didn't know such a thing existed, and for 20 quid it's gotta be worth a punt!

As for you, if you don't have an express card slot, then it looks like you're left with just 2 options. New laptop, or a USB interface :)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1164359' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:13 PM']Really? I suppose the more expandable/upgradable things are, the less often people need new ones...

I've been following this thread as i have a Phonic Helix mixing desk that has a firewire I/O with 18 sends, would love to record a band night, but have each channel recorded individually to help with mixing. But my laptop doesn't have a firewire input..

Gonna try Oldg's suggestion. Didn't know such a thing existed, and for 20 quid it's gotta be worth a punt!

As for you, if you don't have an express card slot, then it looks like you're left with just 2 options. New laptop, or a USB interface :)[/quote]
As previously stated, I've just bought a new laptop, quite high-spec too!

But I am going to try a Firewire/USB adaptor first, to see if it works with my existing firewire interface, as it only costs a couple of quid for the adaptor.

If that doesn't work, then I will have to look at USB interfaces.

Any suggestions for a minimum 8-track simultaneous interface would be most welcome.

£400/500 budget.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1164618' date='Mar 16 2011, 04:42 PM']As previously stated, I've just bought a new laptop, quite high-spec too!

But I am going to try a Firewire/USB adaptor first, to see if it works with my existing firewire interface, as it only costs a couple of quid for the adaptor.

If that doesn't work, then I will have to look at USB interfaces.

Any suggestions for a minimum 8-track simultaneous interface would be most welcome.

£400/500 budget.[/quote]

To be honest on that budget, there are plenty of great USB interfaces around.
And you have a good spec Laptop as well.
Not sure what ins & outs you are looking at, but RME stuff is top notch.
Really good stable Asio & Midi drivers that work great at ultra low latency, with direct monitoring as well.

Garry

Never seen such an adaptor but I can't imagine it would be very good for an audio interface. I assume that just changing the plug would not work as USB and Firewire use different protocols. If the adapter contains a Firewire controller chip then performance won't be great tunnelling through USB so you'd be better off with a native USB interface.

Looks like only Apple amd Sony are bothering to include Firewire on their laptops these days! I was thinking of getting a Motu 8Pre but not sure what USB equivalents there are except for the Zoom R16 I was looking at which also happens to be a great standalone solution!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1164848' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:26 PM']Never seen such an adaptor but I can't imagine it would be very good for an audio interface. I assume that just changing the plug would not work as USB and Firewire use different protocols. If the adapter contains a Firewire controller chip then performance won't be great tunnelling through USB so you'd be better off with a native USB interface.

Looks like only Apple amd Sony are bothering to include Firewire on their laptops these days! I was thinking of getting a Motu 8Pre but not sure what USB equivalents there are except for the Zoom R16 I was looking at which also happens to be a great standalone solution![/quote]
I have been considering the Zoom R16 and R24 too!

But I've just seen the [b]Alesis MultiMix16 USB 2.0 Analogue Mixer & Audio Interface[/b]

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/alesisMultimixUSB16.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/arti...ltimixUSB16.htm[/url]

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Cheers.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1164848' date='Mar 16 2011, 07:26 PM']Never seen such an adaptor but I can't imagine it would be very good for an audio interface.[/quote]

My setup:
Tascam FW-1804 connected by adaptor to HP DV6900ea running audio optimized XP/Reaper DAW.

I can record eight inputs together into Reaper with each track running vst effects, and monitor the the whole lot with only 6.1 ms latency while recording.

In other words I can hear everything with FX in real time whilst recording, and same with the band... (in 24bit 48000 WAV btw)

The laptop has a Ricoh FW port built in - but the TI chipset in my adaptor beats it hands down..... The adaptor linked in my above post has a VIA chipset which is also rated well for audio work.