Why become a member? ×

GAS: What causes yours??

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

A bit of Sunday fun... :)

My name's Nik and I've got [b]G[/b]ear [b]A[/b]cquisition [b]S[/b]yndrome... Am currently and reluctantly in therapy for it but it's a painful process! ;)

I own:

Two x 5 string basses
Five x 4 string basses

plus

Two x amps
Three x cabs..

Not forgetting the bag of leads, case with footpedals and compressor, stands, an acoustic geetar and probably lots of other stuff I can't even remember.
Yet I still spend ages most days on Basschat looking at gear, especially basses..

I've no idea what causes it because I've got a vintage Wal, a great sounding Roscoe Beck 5, lovely Fender Jazz 5, vintage BC Rich etc, etc.. My GK head and Peavey cab sound really good and all of this works really well for the band I'm in and the music I play..

..So - what causes the [b]GAS[/b]??

My own thoughts and suggestions for the root causes of it are (in no particular order):

Lack of talent
Lack of success
Boredom
Need to experiment
Too much money/Not enough money
Too much spare time
Broadband internet access
It's fun
It's addictive
I'm a sad loser with no mates and no hobbies ;)
It's all Ped and the Mods fault :huh:

I could go on but I thought it'd be fun if it hasn't been done before to put the question over to all of you who may, or may not, be [b]fellow sufferers[/b]!! :wacko:

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

It's just the desire to have something you don't yet have. It's usually irrational and it probably doesn't make you as happy as you first thought it would when acquiring the thing you GASsed for after a few days.

Try reading up on Buddhism and practicing thriftyness. Read about poverty. It costs 30p to prevent someone from going blind (that stopped me buying mars bars).

You could try the thirty day trial - as in, if you still want something after a month, then consider buying it.

Maybe if people stopped hoarding, they'd use less trees.

Find beauty in simplicity. Grass-roots (uprights) and unbranded amps.

Then read about Buddhism again.

I always have gas for stuff but in the end I always seem to be able to make the right purchase choice, most of the time. But when it goes wrong its generally only a cd so its ok :)

I gassed for AGES for a Stingray, I think for about 2 years, and now that I have one it causes me shoulder trouble and I hate the lack of the top g. Sometimes you will never get it right!!!

Well, I dont ever think you can cure yourself of gas. Say you gas for a jazz, and you get that jazz, and you think "great, now I'll get a precision I really dont need to match my jazz" and then you get that precision, and then you find yourself playing the precision more and you think "I'll sell that jazz and get something active and modern to contrast my precision" so you get that modern active bass, then you think to yourself, "I know I'll sell my precision and get something 5 string active to go with my active 4 string" and then after a while you decide your playing five strings and you sell that four string in favour for a second five string and one day whilst playing on one of your fives you say to yourself "You know I really miss the simplicity of a passive 4 string jazz bass" and thus it continues, and it gets worse when you see a bass player who really inspires you when he or she is playing something you are yet to own or play. Once you've got gas its not going anywhere, unless you manage to guilt yourself into not buying anything else, but then that only usually lasts for a short while :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='133070' date='Feb 3 2008, 03:15 PM']Well, I dont ever think you can cure yourself of gas. Say you gas for a jazz, and you get that jazz, and you think "great, now I'll get a precision I really dont need to match my jazz" and then you get that precision, and then you find yourself playing the precision more and you think "I'll sell that jazz and get something active and modern to contrast my precision" so you get that modern active bass, then you think to yourself, "I know I'll sell my precision and get something 5 string active to go with my active 4 string" and then after a while you decide your playing five strings and you sell that four string in favour for a second five string and one day whilst playing on one of your fives you say to yourself "You know I really miss the simplicity of a passive 4 string jazz bass" and thus it continues, and it gets worse when you see a bass player who really inspires you when he or she is playing something you are yet to own or play. Once you've got gas its not going anywhere, unless you manage to guilt yourself into not buying anything else, but then that only usually lasts for a short while :huh:[/quote]

So damn true :) this forum encourages it alot for me, all your lovely basses...:wacko: me wantee

Definitely! Well put. I found owning two basses or more really difficult because you always play one more than the other and the other becomes trade bait. The only solution I found was to find a bass you love and have tried and tested live and in the studio, you KNOW sounds great and is just very 'you' - then get that same bass in fretless, 4 and 5 string, and then just sit tight and strap in for the ride!

Should me and Steve feel guilty for starting Basschat and spreading GAS among the population? ;0)

[quote name='ped' post='133072' date='Feb 3 2008, 03:21 PM']Should me and Steve feel guilty for starting Basschat and spreading GAS among the population? ;0)[/quote]

:huh: blamed, yet thanked immensely ;) Suprisingly this forum is actually my homepage :) ain't no help to my pent up GAS...

Edited by Pedro1020

I don't think I GAS for the high-end stuff most people seem to - my passion is for vintage JapCrap - and being a bin-diving pikey at heart, I want to get some thing really good for not much money - which I justify to myself with the idea of selling at a significant profit. This seldom happens - I find it really hard to part with my [s]hoard of ghastly junk[/s] collection!

Why GAS? I'm not really sure. Distraction, the desire for The Most Toys, the idea that there's always something better. A lot of the stuff I buy requires a degree of restoration, or at least a good clean & setup - and I really enjoy that element of it, learning about the instruments in general, and learning about the different manufacturers, the differences & similarities - this is a big part of my JapCrap obsession.

I'm not really looking for a cure - but I'm trying to ration myself more - if I'm going to buy something, then something else will have to go to make room for it.

Anyone want a mid 70s Gibson Grabber copy? :)

Jon.

Hmmmm GAS.

I suffer small bouts of it. When I was 17 I tried a Stingray and wanted one. 17 years later I finally bought one. But now I've got it I still pine for my old 78 P'bass (I sold about 11 years ago :) ). Something about the simple plug in and play of the Precision I like. Now I could buy a budget P copy for a couple of hundred but would that be enough?. I could chop in/sell the Ray and buy a Fender but would I miss the Ray?, after all Ive waited long enough to get one.

I suppose what I'm saying is My GAS is caused by trying to find a bass that equals that old 78. Don't get me wrong the Ray is a very good bass and well worth the money I paid. Oh I feel lost in a sea of basses :huh: there are so many more to choose from these days than when I were a lad.

Obviously a psychiatrist would be the best person to ask about this. As none was at hand, we asked Clement Freud to speak for a minute on the subject of Gear Acquisition Syndrome:

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS, is, according to Grandfather Sigmund, a form of kleptomania. The sufferer feels a compulsion to own a piece of equipment, be it an instrument, an amplifier, a speaker, or an effects unit. This feeling is not extended to the point of outright theft, however, and legitimate means of acquisition are pursued. The drive behind GAS is, in fact"

Bzzzzzzz!

Paul Merton has challenged. Paul?

"He repeated GAS."

That is a correct challenge. Paul Merton, you have fifteen seconds on the subject of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

"I remember once acquiring a gear. When I started driving I had a Mini, which I later replaced with a Maxi, which had five gears instead of four, so I had acquired a gear. Some Formula One drivers have taken this to the extreme, with seven gears in their"

And there goes the whistle to mark the end of the minute.

[quote name='ped' post='132959' date='Feb 3 2008, 12:28 PM']Then take out loads of credit cards, cane them all into the red and fake your own death

[/quote]
I was just getting all blissed out and buddist like with what Paul, the had to say when I saw Ped's post :huh: ;)

Absolutely brilliant and Steve Coogan definitely rocks!!

Think I agree with stingrayfan that there's something in the 'thrill of the chase' and kevbass has accurately/uncannily described the mental processes that I've used on loads of occassions to justify and fool myself into thinking I have good reasons for the latest acquisition or latest sale..

Glad to see I'm not alone on this :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='133070' date='Feb 3 2008, 03:15 PM']Well, I dont ever think you can cure yourself of gas. Say you gas for a jazz, and you get that jazz, and you think "great, now I'll get a precision I really dont need to match my jazz" and then you get that precision, and then you find yourself playing the precision more and you think "I'll sell that jazz and get something active and modern to contrast my precision" so you get that modern active bass, then you think to yourself, "I know I'll sell my precision and get something 5 string active to go with my active 4 string" and then after a while you decide your playing five strings and you sell that four string in favour for a second five string and one day whilst playing on one of your fives you say to yourself "You know I really miss the simplicity of a passive 4 string jazz bass" and thus it continues, and it gets worse when you see a bass player who really inspires you when he or she is playing something you are yet to own or play. Once you've got gas its not going anywhere, unless you manage to guilt yourself into not buying anything else, but then that only usually lasts for a short while :)[/quote]
This is exactly my process ... except I find that I keep more guitars than I sell!

I don't think it's GAS, it's all been a completely logical progression ...

Need bass in a hurry. Buy Korean thing from friend for £100.
Join something called The Dude Pit. Discover one bass isn't enough and the Korean Thing is a deeply despised Kay.
Really want a Fender but don't have the money. Buy Ibanez Jazz copy with Hiscox case.
Sell Korean thing for small profit.
Need EB3 for Jack Bruce impression, but don't have the money. Buy old Jap EB3 copy.
Have some spare cash. Find Epi Elitist EB3 on eBay at good price.
Sell Jap EB3 copy for small profit.
See Fender MIJ Precision on eBay at give-away price. Can't resist.
Who needs a Fender copy when you've got a real one? Sell Ibanez Jazz copy, but keep case.
Finally admit Jack Bruce impression is unconvincing, sell EB3.
Like the idea of a Thunderbird, but without the thin neck and stupid price. Find good deal on Gibson IV.
Desperately need 5-string for more modern repertoire, find cheap Vester on eBay.
Like 5 strings, but Vester neck too thin. Find Spector Rebop 5 on eBay.
Sell Vester at a loss :-(

See, totally logical and entirely justified. Not GAS at all. :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='133070' date='Feb 3 2008, 03:15 PM']Well, I dont ever think you can cure yourself of gas. Say you gas for a jazz, and you get that jazz, and you think "great, now I'll get a precision I really dont need to match my jazz" and then you get that precision, and then you find yourself playing the precision more and you think "I'll sell that jazz and get something active and modern to contrast my precision" so you get that modern active bass, then you think to yourself, "I know I'll sell my precision and get something 5 string active to go with my active 4 string" and then after a while you decide your playing five strings and you sell that four string in favour for a second five string and one day whilst playing on one of your fives you say to yourself "You know I really miss the simplicity of a passive 4 string jazz bass" and thus it continues, and it gets worse when you see a bass player who really inspires you when he or she is playing something you are yet to own or play. Once you've got gas its not going anywhere, unless you manage to guilt yourself into not buying anything else, but then that only usually lasts for a short while :)[/quote]
In a nutshell :huh:

Prior to joining this forum, I'd owned most of the same gear for years.

Since joining, I've now sold all my old amps and cabs, bought a new EBS rig. Then sold a bass to Pedro, only to go and spend that plus more on a Lakland JO5. Collecting pedals too.

Thought of selling my 76 Precision, but Beedster's talked me out of it, so I advertised my Thumb NT 5 which I thought I'd never ever want to sell, but no takers, and I'm not dissappointed which means I probably never wanted to sell it anyway!

It is that thing of going full circle though. I've had the Precision for years, but just don't use it. Since thinking of selling it, I've enjoyed playing it more than ever, so I want to keep it now.

There's been some lovely basses up for sale on here, and sadly I don't have the cash, otherwise I'd have been travelling the length and breadth of the country again buying them up. But it'd be for "want" rather than "need". I don't think I'll ever stopping GASsing.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='133811' date='Feb 4 2008, 07:16 PM'][b]Then sold a bass to Pedro[/b][/quote]

And I've never been happier, joining this forum has broadened my knowledge of the bass guitar and the magic you can produce with 4 strings (5/6 beyond originality).

I bought my desired bass, a lovely 97 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 off Pete, and I have sworn [b]to take this bass to my grave[/b] given it total TLC & is my No. 1 stage bass..certainly does get noticed...LED's! :)

Plus all the nice people on here, who've helped me along the way..

My G.A.S insanity should dye down...I've stored some cash, though Im personally pondering what I need next..:huh: Fender, Warwick, Lakland...I need to decide :wacko: