Why become a member? ×

Fretboard diagram!!

BassNovice

I don't remember how long it took. But I used to play scales from the lowest note possible to the highest not possible and say the names of the notes as I did this. I soon learnt where most of the notes were. And if there was a grey area I just concentrated on scales around that position.

I hope this helps!

Pete

Seems like a pretty straight forward way mate..cheers.

I've been concentrating so much on technique I've neglected where ALL the notes are..I say I could only point to about 30% of the notes within a second..which undoubtedly will affect my playing if not improved upon!!

Simple answer is that I haven't! - and I've been playing since 1982.

I've tried to apply myself to learning it - I've even got a coffee mug at work with the fretbord map on it, so it's constantly in front of me, but still the motivation just isn't there to fully commit it to memory.

Problem is I've never found myself in a situation where I wished I knew it, because not knowing the names of all the notes I'm playing (by ear) doesn't seem to hamper my playing. It certainly would do if I had to read music - but I don't do that either.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not recommending my approach, in fact I know I should be thoroughly ashamed of myself :)

It's just practice like everything else. If you run scales and say the notes,it helps(as has already been said). I have reference notes on the neck-if you know where ,say, every C is you can reference the notes around it easily.
Even if you play chromatic scales and say the notes out loud,eventually it will become quicker.

I honestly believe that there is no excuse for not learning the fingerboard-it's a fundamental part of the instrument.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='1163017' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:10 PM']Simple answer is that I haven't! - and I've been playing since 1982.

I've tried to apply myself to learning it - I've even got a coffee mug at work with the fretbord map on it, so it's constantly in front of me, but still the motivation just isn't there to fully commit it to memory.

Problem is I've never found myself in a situation where I wished I knew it, because not knowing the names of all the notes I'm playing (by ear) doesn't seem to hamper my playing. It certainly would do if I had to read music - but I don't do that either.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not recommending my approach, in fact I know I should be thoroughly ashamed of myself :)[/quote]

+1 :)

I can work it out but past 1st position I don't KNOW instantly.
I should know but .......I don't! I've played since 1984 so doubt it's going to happen now.

It's not that hard to do.

The notes run in a set order (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#).
In the context you are looking at here, a 'flat' is just an alternative to a 'sharp' (so a Bb is the same as an A#).
You already know what the open strings are (E, A, D, G)

Memorise the notes on the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th frets to begin with and that'll give you a good starting off point.

Once you can find those without thinking about it too hard then you've just got two notes to learn between each fret position.

TAke this exercise and do it everyday, at least 10 minutes:

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Random-Note-Finder-Exercise.pdf"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/u...er-Exercise.pdf[/url]

Believe me, If you really 'sit' on this, it will help your fretboard knowledge no end - I"m doing this for quite some time now and I feel the benefits of it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1163111' date='Mar 15 2011, 02:09 PM']TAke this exercise and do it everyday, at least 10 minutes:

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Random-Note-Finder-Exercise.pdf"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/u...er-Exercise.pdf[/url]

Believe me, If you really 'sit' on this, it will help your fretboard knowledge no end - I"m doing this for quite some time now and I feel the benefits of it.[/quote]

I think the operative word is "YOINK". Cheers!

When I first started playing I learned some basic rules:

[b]"B+E have no sharps"[/b] or [b]"C+F have no flats"[/b] -

..then the relationships with the subsequent strings -

[b]next string the same note is either 5 down or 7 up[/b]
[b]two strings is 2 frets up[/b] (look at your octave when you play)
[b]three strings is 3 frets down[/b]..

I don't play a 5 string so didn't bother to learn the relationship between notes on the lowest/highest strings...(i'm sure somebody will be along in a mo who did..) :) :) :lol:

[quote name='el borracho' post='1163086' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:55 PM']+1 :)

I can work it out but past 1st position I don't KNOW instantly.
I should know but .......I don't! I've played since 1984 so doubt it's going to happen now.[/quote]
+1 :)

If you learn the E and A string the rest are just two along and two down :)

The strings are 'E' f g 'A' b c 'D' e f 'G' so if you can remember the alphabet up to G and can count to twelve, you are sorted :lol:

but to answer your question and echo an earlier post...... the notes have names now? :)

I know all the notes on the E and A strings and could point them out pretty quickly but I have never actually bothered to transfer it to the upper strings simply because I prefer the tone I get off moving up the fret on strings instead of switching to the higher string. I'm weird I know.

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1163460' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:21 PM']I know all the notes on the E and A strings and could point them out pretty quickly but I have never actually bothered to transfer it to the upper strings simply because I prefer the tone I get off moving up the fret on strings instead of switching to the higher string. I'm weird I know.[/quote]

Well, I suppose you get to save a fair bit when your strings need changing... :)

[quote name='Mlucas' post='1163460' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:21 PM']I know all the notes on the E and A strings and could point them out pretty quickly but I have never actually bothered to transfer it to the upper strings simply because I prefer the tone I get off moving up the fret on strings instead of switching to the higher string. I'm weird I know.[/quote]

Playing octaves must be a right bastard for you.:)

Seriously though,get it sorted on the upper strings too-it will make life so much easier. You've got four strings,don't limit yourself to just two.