Why become a member? ×

Sound samples - Dean Hillsboro, Bass Collection SB315 & SB320 fretless

Mornats

Hi Basschatters!

I've had someone ask what each of my three basses sound like so I've recorded a sample of each of them. It's nothing special, just a bit of a scale to try and get a range of notes. The fretless sample is not guaranteed to be in perfect tune as I'm still getting used to a fretless (and mine has not fretlines to guide me either).

So, here are the three samples, all recorded in Garageband using Guitar Rig Session with the same setting on. The output levels on each of my basses are slightly different so the only differences are the volumes but they should all be roughly similar. I only used the EADG strings on the 5 string to keep the samples similar. The fretless has Rotosound 88 black nylon strings on it. The 5 string has unknown Rotosounds (I know they're Rotosounds as they have red silk wraps on them) and the Dean has whatever strings it came with from the factory (basically, I've no idea what they are).

Dean Hillsboro Single sound sample: [attachment=74808:Dean_Hil...o_Single.mp3]

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB315 5 string sound sample: [attachment=74809:Bass_Col...5_string.mp3]

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320* fretless sound sample: [attachment=74810:Bass_Col...Fretless.mp3]

Hope you find these interesting. I love how they all sound quite different and distinctive.

* I'm not 100% sure whether this is an SB320 or another model. It's a fretless with gold hardware but the pickups and electronics were replaced by a previous owner and the knobs are black, not gold. It was sold as an SB320 and if it's anything different then it's a model from higher up in the range.

[quote name='Mornats' post='1162604' date='Mar 15 2011, 12:04 AM']* I'm not 100% sure whether this is an SB320 or another model. It's a fretless with gold hardware but the pickups and electronics were replaced by a previous owner and the knobs are black, not gold. It was sold as an SB320 and if it's anything different then it's a model from higher up in the range.[/quote]

If it's got P/J configuration and a translucent finish, probably it's an SB320. If it has soapbars then it's a 330. I think clips like this are really useful, cheers - it'd be useful to hear each pickup in isolation too

Yep it's got a P/J pickup configuration so looks like it's a 320. My mate who fixed the electronics on it said they looked very similar to the Artecsound SE3P but I still haven't figured out what the pickups are. I keep promising pics of these so will pop them in here soon.

Good idea about recording the different pickup balances, I'll get onto that and will post more :)

Sorry, I'd intended to mention the pickup settings I had used. On all three basses I set the tone controls to their mid-point (right on the notch) and put the balance for the Bass Collections right in the centre to pick up both sets of pickups (the Dean has a single humbucker so has no balance control).

I'm located in Bristol, UK by the way. :)