Why become a member? ×

Squier bodies and pick guards

gary mac

[quote name='neepheid' post='1162549' date='Mar 14 2011, 10:55 PM']Unlikely to fit. Fill the existing holes and redrill.[/quote]

Thanks chaps.

Sorry if I'm being dense but do you mean the existing holes to the body would show after fitting the replacement pickguard or just that they wouldn't line up?

[quote name='gary mac' post='1162651' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:03 AM']Thanks chaps.

Sorry if I'm being dense but do you mean the existing holes to the body would show after fitting the replacement pickguard or just that they wouldn't line up?[/quote]

It's possible that you could be really unlucky at the thin end, but mostly the screw holes won't line up. I've put a MIM hole pattern one on a Squier before. All of the holes bar one didn't line up. Had to drill them out, glue in dowel then drill new holes.

There are two issues really.

1. As some other contributors have highlighted, the screw holes probably won't line up – indeed there may not even be the same number of screw holes. But this is no problem since, as has already been said, you can fill the existing holes and re-drill to suit your new scratch plate. You would be really unlucky if any of your old holes transpired to be visible when the new plate was in position. But there is a very slight chance that could happen.

2. The other issue is the shape of the end of the neck. I’ve done several similar projects over the years and have been caught out in that some necks have a “flattened” end whilst others have a rounded end. Also the radius at the end of the neck can vary. This seems to depend on where the neck is manufactured. The point here being that your new scratch plate may, or may not, be shaped to mate exactly with the end of your neck. You just need to look very closely at the neck and equally scrutinise the precise shape of your donor USA scratch plate. If they don’t mate properly there will either be a small interference fit and you’ll have to dress back the plate, or alternatively there will be a slight gap – regarding the latter, either that’s an aesthetic problem to you or it isn’t ? – just depends how much of a perfectionist you are ? . . either way it will sound fine . . its just an issue of aesthetics ?

The attached photo shows what I mean about the detail of the neck/scratch plate interface - if you look closely you will see that the radius of the scratch plate doesn’t match the radius of the neck and there is a small gap (about 1 mm) between the scratch plate and the neck at the radius. In this case you are looking at an Indonesian squier neck butting against an after market USA precision scratch plate. I had to dress the plate quite a bit to get it to interface as well as this. To me the small gap at the radius is acceptable and you cant notice it from more that about 1 meter away – but on the other hand a “true luthier”, which I definitely am not, would say this is a very very shoddy fit ! ! ! . . so, as I say, it just depends how "perfect" you want your project to look ?

[attachment=74814:Neck_Scr...nterface.JPG]

Good luck with your project - its great fun creating your own unique instrument.

:)

Edited by Nostromo

Also have a care as to where the truss rod adjusts on the neck you wish to use. If it has heel truss rod access, get a pickguard with the notch cut out at the heel, if it's head access then get one with a plain heel otherwise you have a pointless notch in your pickguard. Up to you, but it would irritate me :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1162839' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:33 AM']Also have a care as to where the truss rod adjusts on the neck you wish to use. If it has heel truss rod access, get a pickguard with the notch cut out at the heel, if it's head access then get one with a plain heel otherwise you have a pointless notch in your pickguard. Up to you, but it would irritate me :)[/quote]

Good point . . . . . I forgot that one ! . . . . . yes . . . . . some research will be required to get that right !

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hijack your thread Gary - did you manage to find a suitable pickguard or did you have to modify one made for a USA P bass?

I have an Indonesian P Bass Special: Antique Burst but want to change the tortoise pickguard for a White Pearl one. I bought one off eBay which arrived today (didn't say that it wouldn't fit a Squier like some): the holes do match but the neck is a little too tight & outline for the pickups isn't big enough....by about 2mm (1mm each side).....thinking of gently filing it without trying to make a mess of the edges. Has anyone else has experience of this?

Alternatively, does anyone know of an outlet for Squire specific pickguards?

Sorry for being exceedingly dim! :)

Angie

I've not been able to find any outlet for Squier specific pickguards, which must mean there's a bit of gap for a potential market there. One wonders why they don't match the Fender pattern. Which Ebay seller was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Here's the link for you:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRECISION-BASS-SCRATCH-PLATE-USA-Mex-fit-4-Colours-/190544931618?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1320232169442853577"]Guitars Electric - eBay[/url]

They also have a website: [url="http://www.guitarselectric.co.uk/"]Guitars Electric - Website[/url]

I tried searching this site as well as the net for a lead to Squier pickguards.....nothing. :)

Angie

[quote name='gary mac' post='1162387' date='Mar 14 2011, 10:10 PM']Been considering another p bass build and lack of dosh has got me thinking about using a Squier body. So just wondering if the american fender pick guards fit?

Advice gratefully received.[/quote]

Have a word with Howard (The BassDoc), he might have the correct Squier template. He made a replacement Torty guard for my Sue Ryder P copy that fitted perfectly - no drilling or filing (apart from a little around one of the pot spines as it was a tight fit) was required.

im currently re doing a squier and I found a suitable pickguard on ebay from nottinghammusicshop there are a few different types but the one that worked for me was TYPE A. You will see what I mean when you check their items. hope this helps. The exact wording you can search is 'bass guitar pickguard scratchplate white pearloid wbw-a'. This will bring you to their shop and you can make your searches from there.