Why become a member? ×

Drum Mics - Recommend me some please

mrtcat

Hey,

Can anyone recommend some live drum mics?

We currently just use a kick mic (shure Beta 52A) but as the venues we play and our PA are growing we need to think about the whole kit. Ideally we would go for an off the shelf complete mic kit but as we already have a decent kick mic it seems a shame to buy a kit where a large part of the cost is going on a second kick mic. However as the current mic is mine I could use the new one for my amp to run along side my di.

Does anyone currently use a cheapish kit? Our budget is about £200 so I was wondering if anyone knows of a reasonable sounding one around that price. I know it won't be as good as an expensive one but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Tom

Agree with Red5 Audio. I have a set I use for recording. The condenser mics for overheads are particularly good. One advantage of these condenser mics is the fact they have an internal battery so you don't necessarily need phantom power. Great value for money. (Just did a quick price check, £153)

I have the Red5s, and I like them, but the clips are sh*t. They've all fallen apart now. You need patience and a tiny screwdriver to put them back together. I'm using them for recording so I can just attach them to boom stands, but for live I don't think they'd last.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='1162623' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:01 AM']I'd definitely go for used individual mics. Do you need overheads and tom mics?[/quote]

[quote name='joegarcia' post='1162625' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:03 AM']Also, what kind of music are you playing?[/quote]

Ideally overheads and tom's would be good. We play old rock, new rock and everything in between. Venues are usually large pubs, halls with stages, outdoor beer fests in summer etc, marquees and even in a huge warehouse once (eq nightmare). Finding even used individuals quickly add up.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Karma Audio do some very cheap condensors. I got one of their tiny little compact pack of two condensors to use for overheads and they're great! I think it cost $40ish. You could get them and 4 used sm57s and you'd have a great set. You could do with clips for the toms and snare though.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1162703' date='Mar 15 2011, 08:39 AM']I have the Red5s, and I like them, but the clips are sh*t. They've all fallen apart now. You need patience and a tiny screwdriver to put them back together. I'm using them for recording so I can just attach them to boom stands, but for live I don't think they'd last.[/quote]

Had to smile when I read this about the clips. I too have tried (and mostly failed) to re-assemble one. I just put them on stands as well.

This 1 day listing on eBay may well end up being a bit of a bargain:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/akg-rhythm-pack-1-DAY-LISTING-/230598015981?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item35b0b67bed#ht_500wt_1156"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/akg-rhythm-pack-1-DA...d#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

Thanks again chaps, drummer ended up with an SM57 off the bay and the red5audio set so the 57 should do the snare and the red kit will sort toms and overheads! Just need a heap of xlr cables now.

All info has been very gratefully recieved!

[quote name='joegarcia' post='1166207' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:10 PM']This 1 day listing on eBay may well end up being a bit of a bargain:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/akg-rhythm-pack-1-DAY-LISTING-/230598015981?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item35b0b67bed#ht_500wt_1156"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/akg-rhythm-pack-1-DA...d#ht_500wt_1156[/url][/quote]

Really shouldn't, but I've now very much got my eye on these if no-one else has - just to avoid a bidding war between BassChatters!

My favourites are the Superlux DRK set - just fantastic, crisp mics and great VFM. My band uses them without a comp/gate and they just sound amazing, really natural! I think there's a review in one of those pro audio mags online too that actually persuaded me to buy them in the first place - I'll see if I can dig it out.

EDIT - not exactly the same set, but the review can be found [url="http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/reviews/drk-b5c2-drum-mic-set"]HERE[/url] if interested :)

Just sticking this up for reference in case someone needs it in future.

Industry standard is:
AKG C451 for over-heads and hi-hat
Sennheiser e603 for toms
SM57 for snare top and bottom
Beta 52 for bass (with an SM91 as well if you're really going all out)

Alternatively if you're on a budget and buying new then I'd recommend:
Behringer C2 for over-heads and hi-hat
Thomann MB75 for toms and snare
PG 52 for bass

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1166591' date='Mar 18 2011, 03:30 AM']Just sticking this up for reference in case someone needs it in future.

Industry standard is:
AKG C451 for over-heads and hi-hat
Sennheiser e603 for toms
SM57 for snare top and bottom
Beta 52 for bass (with an SM91 as well if you're really going all out)

Alternatively if you're on a budget and buying new then I'd recommend:
Behringer C2 for over-heads and hi-hat
Thomann MB75 for toms and snare
PG 52 for bass[/quote]

Good post! Nice to know what the top guys are using.