Why become a member? ×

HIPSHOT XTENDER

[quote name='greenblacksilverbass' post='12812' date='Jun 6 2007, 05:47 AM']Does anyone have any complaints about the product hipshot xtender
do they hold up well and stuff?[/quote]
I've had two:

and:

Both do what is says on the tin and without any problems.
I check the tuning once a month or so and find I need very little adjustment.
More of an issue to remember to change my fingering!
Certainly easier than retuning in a live situation.

I have an elephant-eared unit on my Yamaha. It's a Hipshot-branded one, not made under license.
It has worked, and continues to work perfectly with no maintenance and only minute adjustments. I've had it 4 years.
I recently checked the tuning with a quality rack-tuner, and was surprised how accurate and stable the tuning was at both the desired pitches (E and D).

I have one on my Yammy too. It's a bit of a squeeze and in one of the positions the tuning E and A keys have the potential to clash. As it happens they don't but I think it's just down to luck!
Anyone else have that?
Apart from that, very good, stable, and bloomin confusing in drop-D position (esp. when you're used to a Kubicki extended D).

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='13048' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:36 PM']I have an elephant-eared unit on my Yamaha. It's a Hipshot-branded one, not made under license.
It has worked, and continues to work perfectly with no maintenance and only minute adjustments. I've had it 4 years.
I recently checked the tuning with a quality rack-tuner, and was surprised how accurate and stable the tuning was at both the desired pitches (E and D).[/quote]

ive had them on all my four string basses for over a decade at present i have seven bass with various types including a reverse action elephant ear, and they are all great, i find too much string on the post can upset accuracy and that the posts on the gold GB7's fitted to my warwicks are a bit short but they are excellent bits of kit. I treat it as an extra tuning head and check accuracy whenever i tune my bass.

I have three - two big fender-type ones on a precision & a jazz, plus a gotoh 'Y'-type on an Epi T-bird. I keep a tiny tin of vaseline with my pliers, cutters & allen keys to keep 'em greased up but they don't need much attention and they work perfectly once they're set up properly. I've only had to adjust the little thumbscrew when changing from one type of strings to another. If its set up correctly the tuning stays spot-on in both positions.

I bought a Hipshot BT-1 extender for my Musicman. Followed the instructions. Even watched the annoying online instruction video, and sat through a presentation of a bloke who says 'toon' not 'tune', 'levver' not 'lever', and E strings that 'pop' sharp, not sound sharp.

But I can't get the damn thing to work properly.

I do all the fiddly bits - tuning flat, lifting the lever (sorry, levver), and repeating til its in tune (sorry, toon). Then dropping to D and tweaking the adjusting screw.

But then I made the mistake of trying something out. I tuned down my E string just to experiment (don't ask me why. there's no real reason. But it did highlight a problem. Coming next).

One very slight tune down on the peg and the whole string loses its tension. It's as if the grooves in the pole at the bottom of the tuning peg aren't slotting into the wheel gear (the round bit that looks like a cog.)

I'm stuck. Any advice? I'm close to chucking it away, complete with the levver. And de-tooning the bloody thing myself.

Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='14500' date='Jun 9 2007, 07:12 AM']I'm stuck. Any advice? I'm close to chucking it away, complete with the levver. And de-tooning the bloody thing myself.[/quote]

I struggled at first but I found the trick was to minimise the number of turns on the tuning peg. Too many turns mean it'll never de and re-tune properly.

[quote name='TPJ' post='16953' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:23 PM']PM'd[/quote]

It goes from bad to worse. The damn thing kept going out of tune, no matter how much fine-tuning I did. Last night, I took it off and put it back on, in the hope that something would slot down right. That done, I flicked the lever, and it only detuned a little bit. I've taken the thing off and put my old Musicman peg back on. I'm considering my next move. I feel a Hipshot sale coming on.

Got them on all my fours, a Sterling, a Modulus Flea and a Spector fretless.

In terms of technique, I'd concur on the turnings around the string post. Do one and a half max. Also, it's really really crucial to stretch the string properly and have it "bed in".

I've also heard about problems with the string "sticking" if the nut slots are a little tight (although it's probably not the case here). A couple of people have recommended some graphite (ie applied via a good old 2B!) to help lubricate the inside of the slot.

Give it a go, nothing to lose apart from dodgy tuning! :)

T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a drop-tuner fitted on my status 5 string.

Use this to drop the B to a LOW A - really nice for low drone tones and things.

Was fitted by Rob / Status when it was built for me in 2004.

Love it....stays in tune great, but nut slot needs to suit string guage or it 'grabs'.

Greg

• 4 years later...

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1181369579' post='14500']
I bought a Hipshot BT-1 extender for my Musicman. Followed the instructions. Even watched the annoying online instruction video, and sat through a presentation of a bloke who says 'toon' not 'tune', 'levver' not 'lever', and E strings that 'pop' sharp, not sound sharp.

But I can't get the damn thing to work properly.

I do all the fiddly bits - tuning flat, lifting the lever (sorry, levver), and repeating til its in tune (sorry, toon). T[i][b]hen dropping to D and tweaking the adjusting screw.[/b][/i]

But then I made the mistake of trying something out. I tuned down my E string just to experiment (don't ask me why. there's no real reason. But it did highlight a problem. Coming next).

One very slight tune down on the peg and the whole string loses its tension. It's as if the grooves in the pole at the bottom of the tuning peg aren't slotting into the wheel gear (the round bit that looks like a cog.)

I'm stuck. Any advice? I'm close to chucking it away, complete with the levver. And de-tooning the bloody thing myself.
[/quote]

may be a bit late, but from what I can gather, the way you tune the D is to get the E in tune, then drop to D, check tuning, if it needs a "tweak" of the screw, flip back to E and do it, then flip lever back to D and check. Works great for me

Edited by bridge

• 5 years later...

Had one years ago on a Squier Jazz project bass and loved it. Finally put them on my two Wals (EB4s). Loving it. Simple but effective engineering.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1181895067' post='18015']

It goes from bad to worse. The damn thing kept going out of tune, no matter how much fine-tuning I did. Last night, I took it off and put it back on, in the hope that something would slot down right. That done, I flicked the lever, and it only detuned a little bit. I've taken the thing off and put my old Musicman peg back on. I'm considering my next move. I feel a Hipshot sale coming on.
[/quote]

I think I might know the problem. Check that the tuning screw is properly seating against the knurled nut in the lever pivot. If it is slightly misaligned it might be catching on the washer and not detuning properly and consistently. If so, the tiniest bend of the bent bit of metal that holds the tuning screw with some pliers will fix it. Had that happen with one of mine. When I realised it was a 20 second fix. Now working perfectly.