Why become a member? ×

RH 750

Phantomnin

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1251765' date='May 31 2011, 04:53 PM']Its because TC know the exact impedance of their cabinets, whereas they dont for other manufacturers.[/quote]
Errr, no it's not. TC are withholding information from you to prevent you from making an informed decision. That way, you are more likely to buy their cabs to go with their amp. The same technique is used by the the utility companies to prevent you from switching suppliers. It's not very ethical, but there you go.

[quote name='stevie' post='1289403' date='Jul 1 2011, 06:38 PM']Errr, no it's not. TC are withholding information from you to prevent you from making an informed decision. That way, you are more likely to buy their cabs to go with their amp. The same technique is used by the the utility companies to prevent you from switching suppliers. It's not very ethical, but there you go.[/quote]

Err, it is apparently. They don't know the exact ohmage of other peoples cabinets. Tom from Bass Gear magazine stated they have tested them, and the TC cabs are rated slightly higher in actual specs, so they know it will be safe.

There is no such thing as 'exact ohmage'. All bass cabs have an impedance curve which is very far from being the flat line at 4 or 8 ohms that specs would suggest. If anyone's interested I can probably get a whole bunch of plots next week and we can see if there's anything special about the RS cabs. Right now I think Stevie's 95% likely to be correct, though from having had a hand inside them and considered the weight vs cab construction I suspect Re could be a little higher than on many premium cabs due to the small magnets.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1289459' date='Jul 1 2011, 07:25 PM']Err, it is apparently. They don't know the exact ohmage of other peoples cabinets. Tom from Bass Gear magazine stated they have tested them, and the TC cabs are rated slightly higher in actual specs, so they know it will be safe.[/quote]
They know as much about the impedance of other people's cabinets as any other amplifier manufacturer. It's not a problem for anybody else - they just state a minimum impedance and that's it.

It says 8 ohms on the back of the TC cabinets. It says minimum 4 ohms on the back of the amps. They can't both be true. Which one is wrong?

Their cabinets look quite good value to me. They shouldn't need to resort to these shenanigans to flog them. Just give us the facts and we'll make our own minds up.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1289462' date='Jul 1 2011, 07:34 PM']If anyone's interested I can probably get a whole bunch of plots next week and we can see if there's anything special about the RS cabs.[/quote]
That would be very interesting, yes.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1289722' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:26 PM']....If you want to void the warranty, go down to 2.6 (?) or 2 ohms with non TC cabs....[/quote]
TC amps have overheating protection built in with their Heat Protection Mode.

According to the manual:

"Notice that due to RH750’s protection features the
amplifier will NOT be damaged if a wrong Load
Impedance setting is selected."

Therefore no damage should be caused if the amp overheats and no warrantee should be invalidated.

I think most amps have that protection.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't use other cabs wig the TC below 4 ohm, but the manual on the 450 (haven't read the 750) says use the amp with 3 TC cabs, or at a minimum of 4 ohms with other manufacturers.

I have no need to doubt their design, so I'll leave it to them as they are the experts with their own products.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1289722' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:26 PM']I think I'll bow out and wait for the Bass Gear Magazine writeup.

If you want to void the warranty, go down to 2.6 (?) or 2 ohms with non TC cabs.

There is a vast library of info on talkbass about it.[/quote]
Please don't think I'm having a go at you, Musicman, but all of the discussion on Talkbass (which I haven't read) would have been totally unnecessary if the manufacturer had provided proper specs. That's my beef. And we shouldn't have to wait for a magazine review to confirm a key product specification.
I wonder if anyone has actually asked TC straight out what the score is.

[quote name='stevie' post='1289928' date='Jul 2 2011, 10:46 AM'].... all of the discussion on Talkbass (which I haven't read) would have been totally unnecessary if the manufacturer had provided proper specs. That's my beef. And we shouldn't have to wait for a magazine review to confirm a key product specification.
I wonder if anyone has actually asked TC straight out what the score is....[/quote]
+1

If this is a PR exercise designed to sell TC cabs then you wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.

Slightly off topic but I've run my RH450 into 2 x EBS 410 Prolines (so 2 ohms) as an experiment based on a previous thread for about three hours at about half volume setting without any issues....The RH450 stated very cool to the touch..

[quote name='chris_b' post='1290011' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:40 PM']+1

If this is a PR exercise designed to sell TC cabs then you wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.[/quote]