Why become a member? ×

God I hate ........ slap bass

Clarky

8 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Guess lots of BCers wont enjoy this then😉

This is my problem with a lot of the slap players , this is technically impressive but whats the point? wheres the melody? the song? just sounds like someone w@!k!!g to me

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

This is my problem with a lot of the slap players , this is technically impressive but whats the point? wheres the melody? the song? just sounds like someone w@!k!!g to me

This is my other issue with slap bass, bass demos where the palyer slaps through 90% of the demo, how am i meant to hear what the bass sounds like? Im not going to slap 90% of the time

/Youtube/

• Like 2

Just now, shoulderpet said:

This is my other issue with slap bass, bass demos where the palyer slaps through 90% of the demo, how am i meant to hear what the bass sounds like? Im not going to slap 90% of the time

/Youtube/

I love slap when a cutie like that is playing!!!!!

On 14/11/2020 at 13:57, ped said:

Yeah I hate a super fast clackity clack bass’line’ played by a show off (like everyone at LBGS) but a slow groove with a couple of accented slaps/pops, yes please 🤗

Weirdly the person who bumped this necro thread emailed support to say he wants his account deleting because he’s realised he doesn’t want to talk about bass with strangers!

I hope you directed him to bassnotchat.com Ped

• Haha 2

On 14/11/2020 at 15:20, Clarky said:

Also, seeing this thread ... just a few posts above is one from Pete Academy, a very accomplished bassist who played tasteful slap in top tribute band Stealing Dan (correction: Nearly Dan, thanks bubinga5) who I had the pleasure of seeing live and meeting with former BCer Nigel (aka silddx/xibblx) and is tragically no longer with us. Reminder to me of how things change in a decade. RIP Pete

Whatever happened to Nigel? He was quite a prolific poster on here when I first joined up

4 minutes ago, Judo Chop said:

Whatever happened to Nigel? He was quite a prolific poster on here when I first joined up

Won't go into ancient history of why's and wherefore's, suffice it to say Nige is well and active on FaceBook and still playing music (though guitar more than bass these days)

• Thanks 1

It's a good style. Not very current ATM but good none the less. Vic does it brilliantly. So does our own Mark King and also Nigel Clutterbuck who does an amazing slap thing with elements of John Entwistle. He was a thing in A1 in Manchester in the day. Blame Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke! 

So we've three ingredients on music: rhythm, melody and harmony and I think slap is a valid style for the intersection of rhythm and harmony. 

17 hours ago, Clarky said:

Won't go into ancient history of why's and wherefore's, suffice it to say Nige is well and active on FaceBook and still playing music (though guitar more than bass these days)

Guitar?

I know he's been with Dare (on bass) for the past few years, but I have no idea whate else he's doing.

(I'm not following him, I just happen to know the guitarist in Dare and I check them out from time to time).

34 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Guitar?

I know he's been with Dare (on bass) for the past few years, but I have no idea whate else he's doing.

(I'm not following him, I just happen to know the guitarist in Dare and I check them out from time to time).

Think we are talking at cross purposes. I am talking about Nigel silddx, the Steve Hillage, Zappa, Rush and single malt devotee who plays bass for London Zulu

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Think we are talking at cross purposes. I am talking about Nigel silddx, the Steve Hillage, Zappa, Rush and single malt devotee who plays bass for London Zulu

Oh, that Nigel, gotcha (shame he's not on BC anymore, he was one of the good ones). Yeah, I got confused... multitasking is not my forte :D I just had another look at the posts above and it was pretty obvious who you were talking about, doh. Sorry about spreading my confusion around!

• Haha 1